advertisement

Technics 50th Anni SL-1200 Mk7

Going slightly off topic a bit, I once heard an unverified rumour that Terry O'Sullivan of Loricraft fame retired and bought himself a Technics 1200G as a present to himself so he must rate it as good.

I currently run a Garrard 401 with a Loricraft plinth, Naim Aro, Loricraft PSU 80 and a Naim Prefix. To be fair this set up borders on the excellent and I sort of intend to keep it until I drop dead. However a brand new machine with a reputation of being a slogger does appeal somewhat.

Would anyone here have a view on whether dumping the Garrard and replacing it with a 1200G is a wise idea or should I carry on with the Garrard?

Terry also built the 501 @ £80k
garradtr501-bildvorspann.jpg

Got a call from DJ Kit (first time I haven't had to follow up with them). Apparently production has been halted / delayed due to a part not being available. Estimates now are that remaining orders will be satisfied at some point in December.

To be honest I think I prefer the classic 1200 Mk2 to the G as it was a totally unpretentious rock-solid performer that was superb at its price point. It is a deserved classic. The G seems to have shot up in price, I think I paid £2.4k, Richer (where I bought it) are advertising it for £3.5k! That puts it up against some serious competition..
I’ve, over the past few years, considered replacing my 1200 MK2 with a G but for the money I am struggling to see what benefits this would bring. Personally, I love the Technics. It’s performed faultlessly for many years now. With a decent MM cart, like the Goldring 1042 or the DL-110, it can sound extremely good. However, my reference in turntables is low having only ever owned two: a Rega P3, which I just didn’t like, and the 1200.

I’ve, over the past few years, considered replacing my 1200 MK2 with a G but for the money I am struggling to see what benefits this would bring. Personally, I love the Technics. It’s performed faultlessly for many years now. With a decent MM cart, like the Goldring 1042 or the DL-110, it can sound extremely good. However, my reference in turntables is low having only ever owned two: a Rega P3, which I just didn’t like, and the 1200.
I wouldn’t presume the G is better, the cheaper model could be more musical.

Looks great, but are you sure about that cartridge alignment? The arm is Stevenson geometry and the supplied little plastic alignment tool very good once you get the hang of it.

Looks great, but are you sure about that cartridge alignment? The arm is Stevenson geometry and the supplied little plastic alignment tool very good once you get the hang of it.

No, I am not sure about the alignment at all! My DJ set up has used Ortofon Concordes for so long that it’s never been a consideration. Definitely need to work on it.

I haven’t opened mine. I hope it’s in there.
Not for any reason just everything is still in boxes.

I wish dealers were better at this. My recent 1500 had the Nagaoka installed (at my request) by the supplier who said he'd 'done loads' of them and knew the job backwards.

Backwards, and sideways, was about right.
Overhang was set at 48mm
The cart was crooked (very) in the headshell
Tracking weight set at the very lightest of the makers suggestions and was mis-tracking as a result and, to finish the 'expert' set up,
bias weight set at double the makers recomendation.

Overhang was set at 48mm
The cart was crooked (very) in the headshell

Chances are he didn’t understand the Technics geometry is Stevenson and had tried to force it to an incorrect alignment using the wrong protractor. I stopped allowing dealers to set up my turntables decades ago as I knew I’d end up doing it again myself and didn’t want strangers putting undue pressure on bearing, scratching the headshell etc. I’ve seen far too much real clown school grade stuff in “respected” dealers over the years. I’ll take sealed boxes every time thank you. By saying that I’ve seen some real craziness from end-users with zero mechanical aptitude too.

I didn’t say anything at the time:)

I suppose there is, somewhere, a chart of deck/arm combos that shows which protractor has to be used.

If not, PFM could host such a thread. Someone is bound to have the time to research such a thing;)

advertisement

Back