advertisement

Technics 50th Anni SL-1200 Mk7

I'm stunned how good these decks are.
The DD stability is a joy.

Been using LP12 and various Rega's through years, others belt drives too.
Technics are no slouch, decades ago I never thought this.
When SL1200G was launched my interest was piqued.
I went for a GR which certainly deliver.
A friend run the 50th. Anniv.

No idea if their tonearms are same throughout: SL100C, SL1500C, SL1200 MK7, Anniv and 1200GR.?
I'd love SL1200MK7 without tonearm to fit a Jelco or something.

Maybe I should try the tonearm damper to learn how much this improve, Hoffman forum have quite a number of satisfied users (the KAB).

AFAIK the tonearm is exactly the same on the 100C and 1500C. The Mk7 and Mk7L bar the colour are the same and basically the 100C/1500C without end of side lift.

The GR is reputedly a better arm but I’m not sure where it has been improved cos the arm tube looks to be identical and made of Alu same as the 1500C, maybe the bearings are tighter tolerance, seems to be about twice the price for the spare part from Panny.

The 1500C Arm is Part Number TZTYL01BC2E

The 1200Mk7 Arm is Part Number TXP0100

The 1200G Arm is Part Number RAC0007 and newer number TYL0544

The 1200GR Arm is Part Number TXK4000A and newer number TXK4400A

The 1210GR Arm is Part Number TXK4100A and newer number TXK4500A

The 1000R Arm is Part Number (about £4K) TXQ0031

I'd love SL1200MK7 without tonearm to fit a Jelco or something.

It was certainly easy enough to fit other amboards and arms to previous generation SL1200s, so I’d expect it was still possible. It will likely involve drilling a hole in the plastic base for arm cable exit etc, but I don’t see why it would be that much different to a MkII assuming the mounting is similar.

drilling a hole in the plastic base

Sure that would be possible but Technics should really introduce a 1200 deck without tonearm but various arm bases.
I'd be first in queue.

OTOH I wouldn't expect it to be that much cheaper than a MK7

Sure that would be possible but Technics should really introduce a 1200 deck without tonearm but various arm bases.
I'd be first in queue.

The odd thing is they always used to…

13714977834_ea71c54a4b_c.jpg

I grabbed this mid-70s SL-120 from the local auction years ago, the missing zero meaning it is the armless version of the MkI SL-1200. It was factory fitted with an SME armboard. I’ve no idea why Technics don’t still do this.

PS Its up for grabs (minus arm) if anyone who can collect wants to make me a nice offer! Works perfectly.

AFAIK the tonearm is exactly the same on the 100C and 1500C. The Mk7 and Mk7L bar the colour are the same and basically the 100C/1500C without end of side lift.

The GR is reputedly a better arm but I’m not sure where it has been improved cos the arm tube looks to be identical and made of Alu same as the 1500C, maybe the bearings are tighter tolerance, seems to be about twice the price for the spare part from Panny.

The 1500C Arm is Part Number TZTYL01BC2E

The 1200Mk7 Arm is Part Number TXP0100

The 1200G Arm is Part Number RAC0007 and newer number TYL0544

The 1200GR Arm is Part Number TXK4000A and newer number TXK4400A

The 1210GR Arm is Part Number TXK4100A and newer number TXK4500A

The 1000R Arm is Part Number (about £4K) TXQ0031

Thanks, apart from 1200G/GAE arm being Magnesium, I never read someone describing facts about differences, those part numbers may prove otherwise, thanks again.

It was certainly easy enough to fit other amboards and arms to previous generation SL1200s, so I’d expect it was still possible. It will likely involve drilling a hole in the plastic base for arm cable exit etc, but I don’t see why it would be that much different to a MkII assuming the mounting is similar.

I removed my stock arm from the GR, it was surprisingly easy, the hardest part was loosening some of the small screws as some were positively tight. Fitted an Ammonite SME arm board which mimics the Technics profile to perfection and made from metal, unlike the Technics.
Also the stock arm can be re fitted without any surgery required, no one need know it had ever been switched out, something I don’t think was possible with the older 1200’s.

Fairly vague and non-convincing answers from DJ Kit about shipments, availability and even the limited nature of these. I ordered a green one in April, with an expected date of July 1st. I've not followed up with them until today, apparently they're getting them in in "dribs and drabs" and not expecting anything further until July 27th. According to the guy I have spoken to, DJ Kit have sold "hundreds" and so I asked how he thought this worked if there are only 12,000 units worldwide; due to the popularity Technics may un-limit and produce more was basically what he said. This is just a guy in a shop but perhaps he knows better than me, and how that works in terms of pricing is anyones guess, because if there are more, then they should be cheaper.

Can't say I am overly enthused with things at this point; for me, as a DJ since the 90's, I kind of feel that this TT fits perfectly with my involvement and ongoing love of DJ culture hence I'd be super happy to have one but as time goes by the whole premise seems to be getting pretty heavily diluted and the shine is dulling a bit.

Anyone else got any better info or had any better luck?

At this point hardly any at all are hitting eBay, and I’d have expected them to be everywhere if they weren’t limited. Sadly in this day and age a shop taking orders doesn’t mean they have stock, or can even get stock.

My order at DJKit still shows back order - due July. Will give it a while, if Technics drop the 12K run and go for broke I’ll probably cancel if I find out for certain they are making extra, that is assuming I find out before delivery.

At this point hardly any at all are hitting eBay, and I’d have expected them to be everywhere if they weren’t limited. Sadly in this day and age a shop taking orders doesn’t mean they have stock, or can even get stock.

No, but that's because hardly any have been delivered. What he seemed to be suggesting is that it's quite possible that Technics would just manufacture more if it looked like they'd sell them. As I said - it was vague, so who knows.

What he seemed to be suggesting is that it's quite possible that Technics would just manufacture more if it looked like they'd sell them. As I said - it was vague, so who knows.

If they are popular I’m sure we’ll see other coloured SL1200s from Technics, but I’d be very surprised if they simply extended a numbered run as that would open up legal issues for them (false advertising etc).

If they are popular I’m sure we’ll see other coloured SL1200s from Technics, but I’d be very surprised if they simply extended a numbered run as that would open up legal issues for them (false advertising etc).

Of course, it would be a terrible idea.

I guess this relates to my point re: limited editions / pricing - I don't want to be on the hook for £899 if it's a coloured version as opposed to a limited coloured version - this is where I was hoping for more clarity from DJ Kit, but didn't get it.

Yellow looks like it's short, all rest of colours say new orders expect September delivery

I just don't really get it. Some people have received theirs in June, you can still order them now and expect delivery in September? How long does it take to distribute 12,000 items? 3 months plus? Assuming they've been assembled of course. That seems odd for a company like Panasonic who probably ship 12,000 TV's as week!

The odd thing is they always used to…

13714977834_ea71c54a4b_c.jpg

I grabbed this mid-70s SL-120 from the local auction years ago, the missing zero meaning it is the armless version of the MkI SL-1200. It was factory fitted with an SME armboard. I’ve no idea why Technics don’t still do this.

PS Its up for grabs (minus arm) if anyone who can collect wants to make me a nice offer! Works perfectly.

Really solidly built TT, it had isolation issues and the weakest electronic component I found was the speed select switch which would readily tarnish, (silver contacts I believe) but the switch is strippable for cleaning (fiddly though)! Speed pots on the plinth and other on the motor control PCB also benefit from cleaning with contact cleaner. One sorted, speed is rock solid. They are a better TT than many will have you believe, I run mine with an SL1200 mk2 arm.

advertisement

Back