advertisement

Technics 310MC - poorly!

Looks as if the wire to one channel has given up & probably what you see is the missing tention from the broken wire.
You could beep the channels through by smallest resistance setting on your voltmeter,
you should have small but similar resistance readings at two channels if a cart is ok,
and of course endless resistance between the channels.

So your's should have a small amount of resistance at one channel
and I think endless resistance at the other as well als between both,
so 3 times endless and one Ohm reading only.

Shame, such a nice system, I love those..wonder since a while who'd be up to refurb them really competently.

I have the counterpart btw..my windings and generator is ok, but spit out it's diamond..so it's a bit toothless.
Weak SL10 tangential tonearm lift suspension desease..once the silicone damping is cleaned off by 'professionel repair competence', the cartridge drops like a guillioutine.. :(

Your diamond looks still fairly ok to me, don't think it's the suspension though.

I have another one here from my brother in laws SL10 that dates back to 1979 that has lost one channel.

I was convinced it was the MC/mm switch on the SL10 or the muting reed relay but when I tried my own exact same cartridge in his turntable both channels were loud and clear

He has opted for a replacement TP4 Grado Black MM cost about £100 and has now left me with a dilema as to what to do with the ailing 310MC

I've just dropped Dominic at Northern Analogue an e-mail asking if he has any experience of repairing these gems

Sound Smith in the USA has repaired some 310MC's according to a web post I found

Let us know how you get on

Thanks for pointing this out. I've made contact with Joseph and will soon be sending him my half dead cartridge to see if there's a possible fix.

eddie

Fergus

I screwed up big time and somehow broke the cantilever while trying to make a safe "cell" to protect the cartridge during shipping to Joseph. I just don't know how I did it !! I had no stylus guard and had to do something to secure the tip but it all went wrong

With a broken cantilever and down on one channel I agreed with Joseph that it was probably a no hoper

Eddie

advertisement

Back