advertisement

Technics 1200g - Any long term users?

OK maybe I could have qualified that statement a little better, prefixing the "wipes the floor" statement with "...as a complete package".
The 1200G is built like a tank, and every touch point you have with it shows that build quality. My Anni was one of the last ones, so it was arguably far better built than some PT decks and I agree a suspended deck is always going to feel more flimsy than an unsuspended one but I don't miss it at all. I found I'm playing at least double the vinyl I was with any of the other decks and the lack of "faff factor" is a big part of that.

I’d agree with the usability and solidity of the Technics decks when you’re used to a PT. SQ wise they are different but there isn’t a chasm between my PT, Gyro and the 1200G in my experience, different yep but not the night and day type. Like @backtovinyl I find I use the Technics decks more cos they are quicker and easier to get an LP playing on, I still use the Gyro SE/XX2 a lot but only when I know I have a decent time window, if I just want to spin a side which occasionally happens I go for the Techy.

SL-1200GR has a single magnetic rotor.
SL-1200G has two motors, more torque.

SL–1200GR has a cast alloy top plate and no intermediate layer.
SL-1200G has a heavier balanced platter, alloy top chassis and heavy layer inside.

SL-1200GR has an aluminium alloy arm with a plastic base and unsatisfying arm lift.
SL-1200G has a magnesium arm, better counterweight, headshell and nicer lift mech.

I tried the SL-1500C at home for a day and it felt so plasticky I couldn’t live with it. The start/stop button felt like the clicky switches on cheap a blu-ray player. It came with the 2M Red which sounded awful too. Had to return it.

I tried the GR at Richer Sounds and the arm lift was noticeably poor in feel and is the same one as the 1500C uses. The rest of the deck seemed good eg. the start/stop switch is the same as the G, but again I couldn’t live with the cheap plasticky feel of the lift.

I read up on the G and after reading about the improved arm lift, I crossed my fingers and ordered one. So glad I did. I don’t have any lingering doubts with the G, it’s realistically good enough to keep for the rest of my time here.

I tried the GR at Richer Sounds and the arm lift was noticeably poor in feel and is the same one as the 1500C uses. The rest of the deck seemed good eg. the start/stop switch is the same as the G, but again I couldn’t live with the cheap plasticky feel of the lift.

I read up on the G and after reading about the improved arm lift, I crossed my fingers and ordered one.

About another £2500 for a nicer arm lift then!!! hahaha, are you sure there isn't more to it than that. ;-)

About another £2500 for a nicer arm lift then!!! hahaha, are you sure there isn't more to it than that. ;-)

Think my G cost £2650. No idea of the difference in sound as I didn’t compare them side by side in the same room and system. The G is a lot heavier and close up seems better finished. I’m perfectly happy to pay for better build, finish and smoother operation without any improvement in sound quality. In fact, I’m not sure if I really believe in turntables sounding significantly different - same with amps too.

No idea of the difference in sound as I didn’t compare them side by side in the same room and system. The G is a lot heavier and close up seems better finished. I’m perfectly happy to pay for better build, finish and smoother operation without any improvement in sound quality. In fact, I’m not sure if I really believe in turntables sounding significantly different.
There's not much in it, it is a much nicer thing though, the GR didn't make it into the lounge permanent the G has.

It's a seriously "mint" arm lift though :)

I must have a ferkle with one some day soon, sounds delightful.

I admit that on the 1210GR I have, the arm lift is naff, I like the rest of it though, build is still non too shabby. I like the 80's Technics brown with the cream logo too. Reminds me of the TOTL 80's gear I used to admire in their brochures as a kid.

I did see a G at a show, it did look very nicely put together and I can fully appreciate the pride of ownership factor kicking in really hard.

I have had a lot of decks though - LP12, Rega, Notts Analogue Interspace, GyroDec, Thorens and a 1210 mk2 and I think the build of the GR is at least on a par with all of the above and is some cases much better.

Would you say the G would be audibly better to most enthusiasts?
Yes, I have it running a Cadenza Bronze but have flipped an AT33PTGII between the G and GR a few times. There is more air/space/detail with the G, think I said up thread for Piano enthusiasts the better platter/damping/double motor would be noticeable.

I have a Gyro SE/PU7/XX2 next to the 1200G, it's a nice problem to have choosing, I tend to go for the G even now the honeymoon is over. I think I will swap the Bonze for a Kleos SL next month and see how that fairs, not decided whether to do that yet.

Curious as to thoughts about this turntable.

Anyone had one for a while and give a long term view of it’s performance.

Thanks.

Hi Robby (or anyone else who may be interested).

I've been using a modified (details below) SL-1210 MK5G since 2008, and know this T/T pretty much inside out, both in terms of how to successfully improve it from stock, at various budget levels, which arms and cartridges sound best on it, mats and all sorts, to how it compares, sonically, with it's competitors, belt, idler and direct-driven.

Therefore, if I can help or give advice, just give me a shout!:cool:

Details of mods carried out, as follows: Mike New high-precision bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots.

Tonearm shown: Ortofon RS-212D. Cartridge and sundries: Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Some pics:

y4kQcQ.jpg

rBfAax.jpg

Shown above with Shure SC35C broadcast cartridge in Audio Technica Anniversary headshell.

HVyuyu.jpg

XSYdiP.jpg

IQxDJL.jpg

Shown above with Denon DL-103GL and Funk Firm Houdini.

Cheers!:)

Marco.

Thanks.. However, mine has been so extensively modified it also shares little in common with the original:D

Seriously though, I'm very familiar with the whole 'Technics direct-drive sound', from that of old models (including SP10s), through to the new stuff, so here to share my experience with folks if needed:cool:

Marco.

I hope it's not (and don't think it is) further up this thread that I've previously said this, but I know a lot (a dozen?) of quite serious old idler-philes who have now got Gs. I think the sound has a lot of the same drive (funnily enough) and slam, but more detail and finesse. I've got 930, 124/2, and umpteen 301/401s sitting idle (see what I did there) since I bought a G about 6 months ago, and used it all day every weekday ever since. I've previously had TTs (an LP12 springs to mind) costing 3 x a G which weren't as good. I think it's the best turntable I've heard at its price.

SL-1200GR has a single magnetic rotor.
SL-1200G has two motors, more torque.

SL–1200GR has a cast alloy top plate and no intermediate layer.
SL-1200G has a heavier balanced platter, alloy top chassis and heavy layer inside.

SL-1200GR has an aluminium alloy arm with a plastic base and unsatisfying arm lift.
SL-1200G has a magnesium arm, better counterweight, headshell and nicer lift mech.
Thanks, most helpful. So it seems Technics TT sell by weight. :D

advertisement

Back