advertisement

Techie question...screen sharing

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Ok...I have an HP Elite Desktop running win 10 pro 64 bit on an i3 processor at 3.4ghz, ram is 4 gig and it is a tad slow these days. Can it be upgraded?

If not I have an HP Spectre laptop, the one before the 360, which is superb. Win 10 64 bit, i5 processor at 1.6 ghz and 8 gig ram.

I work from home but if I switch to my laptop I would need a bigger screen. I can't plug in a screen via HDMI so it needs to be Miracast? Are there standalone screens available that would be compatible? Any recomendations ?

Not sure if the elite can be upgraded probably, but they are cheap as chips on ebay along with Dell Optiplex.

I really dont understand your last sentence, why cant you plug in a s screen via HDMI?

Ok...I have an HP Elite Desktop running win 10 pro 64 bit on an i3 processor at 3.4ghz, ram is 4 gig and it is a tad slow these days. Can it be upgraded?

Need an exact model if you just want to upgrade the memory.

Alternatively you can chuck the MB/memory and processor away, replace with a better MB etc

I can't plug in a screen via HDMI so it needs to be Miracast?

again exact model - has the laptop not got any video out connections at all

Best thing for laptop for home working is a docking station equipped with an external keyboard and mouse plus a screen. Otherwise RSI beckons. Cheap as chips on ex corporate sites on ebay.

The laptop does'nt have an HDMI slot unfortunately, only USB C for charging which are not suitable for data.

Best thing for laptop for home working is a docking station equipped with an external keyboard and mouse plus a screen. Otherwise RSI beckons. Cheap as chips on ex corporate sites on ebay.
+1.

And, very important, a HP Ultraslim Docking Station, which connect directly. Those connected through the USB-C port are a permanent hassle - problems can be partly solved with driver updates, but there is also a hardware issue somewhere which we couldn't yet sort out.

s-l300.jpg

The laptop does'nt have an HDMI slot unfortunately, only USB C for charging which are not suitable for data.

You just need a dongle, USB C to HDMI. or get a USB C hub with HDMI on etc, if you tell us the specific model it will be easier, but they have thunderbolt so can transfer literally tonnes of data including display, USB, network, audio etc etc

My wife's Lenovo doesn't have an HDMI socket but we have a generic USB-C adaptor which allows her to connect to an external monitor (as well as adding USB sockets - and you can also get a version that adds a network socket). Works great in practice.

Not sure if the HP can do the same but it'd be a useless piece of crap if it doesn't!

There's a good chance the USB-C port supports HDMI and/or DisplayPort as an alternate function. If so, all you need is a cheap adapter. Check the specs for your model.

I have a monitor with a USB hub built-in (Dell 27”); the laptop connects to it via USB-C. It charges the laptop, allows me to plug in a mouse/keyboard (a small dongle on a USB-A on the monitor) and enables HDMI out to the screen at the same time - it’s a fantastic solution with only one cable enabling all this. I’m sure you can do the same with your laptop.

advertisement

Back