advertisement

Tears for Fears

cj66

pfm Member
For me a natural follow on from the Talk Talk thread. If I play one I tend to play other too.

A really strong start with The Hurting (which remains my favourite) and plenty to follow. Pop done extremely well from talented people.

Vastly underrated band.

Wonderful writing and production.

Well worth digging out again if you have forgotten.

M

And talk talk - the colour of spring is my Fav but others are delicious In places too.

I saw Tears for Fears as supporting Judie Tzuke in 79 at the Liverpool empire. They were called Graduate and played mod/pop retro crap. One of the worst support bands I ever saw. Did not like their early hits either so gave them a miss. I then went to a hifi show near Bolton in the late eighties and heard Woman in Chains being played on Isobaric speakers. I was amazed. That experience is now the one I try to capture with any upgrade. Bought the album and loved it.

Agree with the link with Talk Talk. I tend to play both alongside each other. I think it is the production values and space given to instruments and voiced as opposed to musical content though.

I saw them during the Sowing the Seeds of Love tour, fantastic time, and when Oleta sang Woman in Chains, her voice, the entire song was certainly one of those wow moments.

I also like Everybody Loves a Happy Ending, but really there seems to be bits of good in all the albums to me. I have often wondered what some of Curts solo efforts are like. I didn't care much for Roland's Tomcats Screaming.

Good tunes! Tim

I do return to them from time to time. The Hurting and Songs from the Big Chair are my favourites. I think they became more patchy as production took over.

Same here. I was big on the first two releases. With the third 'Seeds' LP and particularly Woman in Chains, TFF became very much hi fi store demo fodder. For good reason of course, as its well recorded and mixed.

Hurting is my fav though. It's one of those very complete LPs that contains some gems.

The 2014 Steven Wilson remix of Big Chair is also well worth having, if you are a TFF fan. It is a complete remix as opposed to a remastering, and an acquired taste for some, who know the original well. Less 80s reverb making it a bit smoother.

I have never heard the SW 5:1 version of Big Chair.

I Like em.
Shame they seem to hate each other, as so many other band members end up feuding in the same way.
The Seeds of Love, & Everybody loves a happy ending albums are excellent quality recordings & the earlier stuff has more youthful energy.
Not quite in the same league as Talk Talk or Japan but head & shoulders above most of the other Synth-driven bands of that era.

What an insult to Talk Talk.

The weather forecast is okay and that bit of strumming on the Hurting.

I remember Mad World (the single) coming out in 1982. I purchased 'M.World' and 'Change' on 7" but got bored with them, they were too 'pop' for us.

(we were getting into Sisters of Mercy and Virgin Prunes - Tears for Fears were too clean)

They got quite popular, not for me though. (must dig the singles out, love the intro to Mad World)

Clearly a bit of a Marmite band..... they did and do nothing for me either.

But being the open minded chap I am I might take a listen to Woman in Chains to see if my mind changes...

TFF and TT along with Simple Minds, Depeche Mode and Duran Duran evoke strong memories of a particular period of my youth, so I'm partial to some of what each has offered over the years. TFF penned a few timeless gems.

Loved The Hurting, but after that they weren't really my taste. Shout and EWTRTW have been overplayed IMO and I don't care for them at all. Woman in Chains is a decentish track.

From that period OMD, Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys still feature on my playlists, but TFF, TT, Durans etc. less so.

advertisement

Back