advertisement

TEAC PDH600 or other 'half width' cd players

rbrierle

pfm Member
As part of an ongoing mission to shrink the number and size of boxes in the front room, I'm considering swapping my full-width cd player for a half-width (because of other components this would free up a shelf).

My listening is gradually shifting more towards streaming but I still want a cd player connected to save the hassle of ripping if someone arrives with a cd.

A quick gander on eBay shows plenty of half-width Cyrus players, but they look a little plasticky to me...a couple of Sonys, Denons etc...and I noticed this Teac has been appearing pretty discounted - looks a tidy solid unit:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/6673

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rob

Those Studio Denon's look quite smart.

Yes, mainly as transport, although wouldn't mind an internal dac to provide flexibility in the fuure, e.g. it finds it's way into a different system. There's one of the Cyrus transports on eBay but the top loading is a bit of a pain - top shelf is valuable on a rack and one of the reasons I've never previously tried a Rega player.

The CDBOX SE is quite a neat looking unit. The cheapest I can find it for is £450 as I can't see any for sale second hand. Wonder how it would copare to the TEAC which is available for half that s/h.

Rob

Rob

If you're streaming, I assume you have a DAC, if so, there's no point in forking out for another in a CD player. Why not buy a transport instead?

Personally, I'm dubious that high-end transports provide much in the way of additional performance, but a TEAC P-700 was a very bling thing back in the day. They do tend to go for a bit these days, though.

I don't currently have a DAC but am looking at them. Open to transports as well as cd players, as long as it's not too wide & black. Not looking to spend a lot: <£500 s/h or new. Ideally more like 200

Please bear in mind that replacement lasers are no longer made for these older players as I found out with a Teac P500 and if you can source a replacement from ebay they will cost a fortune.

three-1.jpg

the top one available in black too. (don't loose the remote though! :))

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/TEAC-PD-H01-CD-Player/product_5344

EDIT:

These look OK for £130, only optical out though, if your using it with a dac.

380.jpg

Cyrus aren't plasticy at all in my experience. Second hand stuff seems to go for a reasonable price.

I know this is an old thread, but:

looks like Teac have revised and are relaunching the PD-H01 cd player.

pd-h01-silver-front_highres.jpg

No idea on price or availability, but I found a french based hifi blog site mentioning this new cd player in late April, so might be hitting the shops soon.

USB connectivity is gone, more buttons and a display on the front, slightly different mouth for the slot loading mech, same 215mm width.

I'm just not a great fan of wall warts. It's strange that the UD-H01 DAC and A-H01 integrated stereo and DAC have internal PSUs whereas the DS-H01 iPod docking station and the PD-H01 have external PSUs.

I'm just not a great fan of wall warts. It's strange that the UD-H01 DAC and A-H01 integrated stereo and DAC have internal PSUs whereas the DS-H01 iPod docking station and the PD-H01 have external PSUs.

In the case of the cd player, it's a small box and still has to house a cd transport mech, I'd imagine that is the reason for the outboard psu.

PS, it looks quite nice in black, if it had a green on black display and green power indicator it'd look great IMO.

advertisement

Back