advertisement

TEAC amplifier suggestions please

ClaraBannister

pfm Member
I'm having a bit of a sort-out, and I've got a TEAC A-R610 integrated amplifier which doesn't work. It powers up, and obeys all the commands of the remote control, but absolutely no sound comes out of the speakers. The speakers are fine, as are the various sources I've tried it with. It's a big, ugly beast, and I don't really like it, but it would be nice to get a few quid for it instead of giving it away on Freecycle. I don't have any test equipment here, but I've noticed two things. The motorised volume control doesn't seem to be doing anything, and the cooling fan doesn't run (maybe it only does so when things get hot). There's nothing visibly amiss inside, although it seems to be put together more like a computer than a piece of audio equipment, and the Chinese build quality is a bit disappointing. Has anybody any suggestions for what might be wrong? Its history is completely unknown to me, so it could have been totally blown up.

Could be almost anything. Can you get a DVM? See if there is any voltage on the power supply capacitors?

It sounds like the fan, volume motor and output relays share a common 'dirty' supply - perhaps 12v. If you are lucky it will have a fuse that popped for no reason.

Thanks. I'll pick up an inexpensive multimeter and have a bit of a look around. The reason it got put on hold was that I couldn't find a full schematic.

What sort of age is it Clara I have had similar with Denon integrated which share a lot of sims to similar teac units

Even the service engineers of the esteemed (not) engineers of Comet couldnt fix it

A similar unit with identical problem needed to be left on standby before it came to life (on standby) and then it worked A OK and still does

These are from 2000 and 2005

It looks like a recent model, I found them for sale new at £200 and online reviews from early 09. As such it's worth repairing. The only snag is that it's probably full of SMT components and unless you are skilled with these they are very difficult to repair.

I don't think it's all that old. The chap who gave it to me had originally sold it on Ebay in working condition. The buyer said it didn't work when it arrived, and sent it back for a refund. The amp itself is quite smart, but the box it came in (presumably the original one) was extremely battered, so I did wonder about its history. If nothing else, it'll stop the door from banging, because it weighs a ton, mainly due to the mighty transformer inside. I've tended to accumulate equipment in various stages of repair, but an impending relocation has forced me to decide what to keep and what to let go. The reason I started the thread was that I wondered if these particular amps have any well-known idiosyncrasies. I never really progressed beyond valves, and all these integrated circuits and logic chips are a complete mystery to me.

advertisement

Back