advertisement

TDL Studio 4

That's strange, that's where it should be. If you go back to post 8 and look at the second pic you'll see I have the bass driver out and I've pulled the crossover through the hole. Have you checked under the wadding etc?

Edit. I never did find any replacement tweeters but I did buy a pair of Monitor Audio metal dome tweeters which are the same size though I never tried them. I did consider dismantling the original Elac units but I was afraid of damaging them any further as I really don't know what I'm doing or what to expect.

Yes Jason, I'm still enjoying them. I have to say that I have always preferred my IMFs though. I didn't much like the IMFs with the Elac drivers either.

I was browsing the other day and found out that Elac also made those metal dome tweeters for Monitor Audio. I think I'll try those I have sometime just out of curiosity.

I'm thinking of maybe taking the crossover out and making my own? Not sure how hard that will be, and elac made quite a few metal dome tweeters apparently for various manufacturers, luckily I have found someone to replace my domes, he used to work for elac, which is a bonus

You can probably switch over domes? From the monitor audio to the tdl tweeter, if you ever consider selling the tdls I have a friend who's looking for a set of studio 4s

I have more pics of the crossovers if you need them. I wouldn’t think it would be too hard to replicate the pcb now there’s plenty of places that can do this quite cheaply. Are your speakers Studio 4s or Studio Monitors?

We’re contemplating a downsize which could mean losing one system. If that happened I would sell the TDLs, maybe even have to part with my beloved IMFs too!

If your contact fancies rebuilding another pair of tweeters let me know please.

More pictures would be great if possible thank you! And let me know if you do, and il try to get he's details, he does have a month or 2 wait at the moment though

I have all my older pics stored on my desktop and as soon as I get a minute I’ll post them for you.

Before you start swapping parts, just measure them with REW.
You may well find all manner of things not quite right due to age, that are easily fixed.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the crossovers in my Studio 4s please?

Thanks.

hi there, not sure if you found the crossover circuit yet? i have the tdl speaker crossover circuit diagrams with values, specs and build plans for a few tdl models if you are interested

Hello Tiertollie, no I never did find a circuit diagram. I did manage to reverse engineer the crossover and split it into three for triamping but it was put back to standard quite a while ago. I would still appreciate the circuit diagram though especially the component values. Mine have never been touched and neither have my IMFs. Tony L keeps telling me to get them done but they still sound great to me. I'm listening to my TDLs as I write this. They still sound magnificent.

I owe Jason C an apology. I did say I would post some pics but for some reason it never happened. I will though if there's still interest.

hi Chop54, ill send you some pictures as soon as i figure out how to upload them here
what imf's do you have?
my uncle had the tdl monitors 4 way on a massive threshold amp and loved to listen to them from young age.
since then i have owned the linn sara's, linn isobarik, tdl 0.5 ,tdl studio 1, imf tls80 and now the tdl reference standards. i have a avi s21 lab amplifier which is pretty good but i think i need a bit more power? i see on some of your posts you build avondale ncc300 amps, beautiful built. i have read very good things about avondale but never heard one. do you know if it is possible to buy ready made ncc300 from avondale, didnt see it on there website. and how good does it sound with your tdls.
regards
christiaan

I think you're referring to the RTL 3 - Which appears to be the most widely sold late TDL Electronics design (probably accounts for half of the proper, pre - Richer-Sounds TDLs you see on fleabay), but this was by no means the only model they were selling at this stage. The RTL range were at a lower price point, & were not a transmission line design, despite the name, and ran in parallel with the Monitor and Studio ranges. Some had dual bass drivers, as you described (RTL 3 and 4, the later T-Line 3) Some didn't. (RTL 1 & 2, and then the T-Line 2 had a single LF driver below the HF)

The Studio 3 also had this arrangement (2 LF drivers above and below the HF) but the Studio 1 & 2 (2 drivers, LF above HF) and 4 (3-way featured in this thread) did not. The 4-way Monitor, Studio 2 and 3 were eventually dropped. The Studio 1 went though quite a few revisions, eventually becoming the 1m; the very small floor standing transmission line Studio 0.5 was briefly available - and then eventually the Studio 0.75m, 1m, 4 and the RSTLm continued in parallel with the RTL and then the later T-Line range until the rights were sold to Richer sounds, who scrapped the whole range and put the TDL badge (dropping the "Electronics" part of the moniker) onto some budget nonsense of their own design. (Studio 5 & 10, Saturn, Nucleus etc)

In addition, there was a parallel range of TDL Monitors distributed in Europe by A.O.S.- mostly in kit form. Some were a 4 way, like the Monitor here, and some were a three way - similar to the Studio 4, but with the mid above the HF (known as the monitor compact) The distributer's product line started to diverge from the UK line when the Studio 4 was released, and they eventually started selling their own transmission line monitors with ATC & Scanspeak drivers.

Confusingly, the name "Monitor Compact" had been used by TDL a few years earlier in the UK for a bookshelf sized speaker.
I had a pair of the AOS Studio 100 XL which are a large 3-way design using a 240mm ATC woofer and Scanspeak mid and tweeter. Fabulous speakers.

Hi Christiaan, I have IMF TLS80 mkIIs. I find them just that bit more relaxed than my TDLs. I think the metal tweeter may be the culprit here.
Regarding the NCC300 there are a few of us here who were fortunate enough to be allowed to buy a pair of boards. As far as I’m aware there are no more boards available though Les might build you a finished amplifier. I’d email him or give him a call.

Hello Tiertollie, no I never did find a circuit diagram. I did manage to reverse engineer the crossover and split it into three for triamping but it was put back to standard quite a while ago. I would still appreciate the circuit diagram though especially the component values. Mine have never been touched and neither have my IMFs. Tony L keeps telling me to get them done but they still sound great to me. I'm listening to my TDLs as I write this. They still sound magnificent.

I owe Jason C an apology. I did say I would post some pics but for some reason it never happened. I will though if there's still interest.

Hi Chops, did you ever get hold of a circuit diagram for tdl 4s. I recently acquired a pair of the speakers but they lack original crossovers. Any help would be appreciated. Bob21

Hello Bob. No I never managed to get hold of a circuit diagram. I did remove the crossovers to split the mids from the tweeters and there are pics of both sides on page 1 of this thread. I’m considering putting them back to how they were but I don’t have the time right now. I’ll check if I have any better photos that will allow you to back engineer the circuit if that helps.

Hello Bob. No I never managed to get hold of a circuit diagram. I did remove the crossovers to split the mids from the tweeters and there are pics of both sides on page 1 of this thread. I’m considering putting them back to how they were but I don’t have the time right now. I’ll check if I have any better photos that will allow you to back engineer the circuit if that helps.

Hi Chops, any other pics would be helpful if you get the chance. It’s difficult to make out the component links from the earlier pics. Did you find the separated circuit was appreciably better. Bob.

Sorry for the late reply Bob. Ok last bit first. I'm really not sure if spltting the mid/tweeter made that much difference. It made the system over complicated and my wife didn't like using it so I took it right back to basics with a pair of monoblocks and single wiring. They've been used like that ever since so I reckon I should put the crossovers back to standard. I've been too busy with work to trawl through my picture files but if I get a chance over the weekend I will do. I would be happy to pull a crossover out and take some better photos but that isn't a five minute job I'm afraid.

Thanks chops that would be much appreciated when you get chance. This thread has been running a while, it’s a little surprising that the schematics for tdl4 are so elusive. I wonder who acquired this stuff when TDL were taken over.

advertisement

Back