advertisement

TD160 Mk2 & SME 3009 S2

Two questions:
  1. Are you sighting the alignment from directly above, exactly as described within the manual, or are you attempting to align via the cantilever from front on (the latter method of which I like to call 'interweb style')?
  2. With the tonearm all the way forward does the headshell appear to point outwards relative to the SME protractor gridlines, yet appears to point inward with the tonearm all the way back? If so, then tangent must exist someplace in between (and can be more elusive with the elongated mounting hole parallel to the plinth vs. angled toward the spindle).

I was aligning, or at least trying to from above, although seems tricky with such a large headshell covering the cartridge. I'm busy until Sunday so I'll give it another go then!

I was aligning, or at least trying to from above, although seems tricky with such a large headshell covering the cartridge. I'm busy until Sunday so I'll give it another go then!
You don't actually need to see the cartridge, just make sure that it is nice and square in the headshell whilst attaching it.

Then it is simply a matter of moving the arm along the bedplate until the headshell appears square to the grid lines of the protractor (cf. pg. 8 of the manual).

One benefit of the later perforated shell is the holes are in straight lines so you can sight the protractor from above centring the straight lines in a row of holes. Hadn’t occurred to me until now (as I haven’t got one), but I’d find the solid shell far harder to align!

You don't actually need to see the cartridge, just make sure that it is nice and square in the headshell whilst attaching it.

Then it is simply a matter of moving the arm along the bedplate until the headshell appears square to the grid lines of the protractor (cf. pg. 8 of the manual).

Yeah the cart is certainly square in the headshell, there is no adjustment for that. IIRC the headshell was facing outwards rather than square, even on the furthest setting at the base.

Yeah the cart is certainly square in the headshell, there is no adjustment for that. IIRC the headshell was facing outwards rather than square, even on the furthest setting at the base.
Now that is strange. I would expect the headshell to appear inward relative to the sight lines when the arm is fully back along the bedplate.

Can you provide a link to the Thorens/SME arm board that you purchased?

51208396281_99f3bea647_b.jpg

Here’s where mine ends up in the slide for my MP-500. I think Japanese carts are pretty standard tip to mount so I’d expect the AT33 to be pretty similar. My pivot to centre spindle is somewhere in the vicinity of 220mm.

51208396281_99f3bea647_b.jpg

Here’s where mine ends up in the slide for my MP-500. I think Japanese carts are pretty standard tip to mount so I’d expect the AT33 to be pretty similar. My pivot to centre spindle is somewhere in the vicinity of 220mm.

Thanks Tony, I'll try and grab a quick photo later when I'm home from work...

The following photos are of the genuine SME TD160S/3009 Adaptor Kit documentation and item (images credit: sme3009tonearms.com but copyright remains with SME Ltd.).

Unfortunately, there exists no 'simple straight swap arm mounting solution' (that fits all), as advertised by the supplier of yours. A wee bit of sub-chassis metal needs cutting away (assuming yours hasn't been modified for an SME prior) and the rear of the oval aperture of the 'genuine' arm mounting plate extends further back beyond the 2 rear mounting holes than do those of the 'straight swap' aftermarket offerings. This extra bit of rearward travel becomes doubly important when the arm hole is parallel to the plinth, rather than angled inward toward the spindle.

(Fig. 1 omitted, as it isn't relevant unless the deck is equipped with a Thorens tonearm.)

1bd8ea930fe95001b423d95a4998e0e1-image-960x685.jpg

625f1bb7298edb9d1eef1123974feea5-image-600x800.jpg

7282570a0de824a646a55a0a079e22b3-image-600x800.jpg

e5ea136009a1aef246cf6f4628647785-image-600x800.jpg

e97b8d3f71aab08cc508a7610345af9f-image-800x600.jpg

a67d0764986565e2252e39026242fda1-image-800x600.jpg

@Craig B 's latest post with the diagrams has just reminded me that when I fitted an SME adapter plate and arm to my TD 160 I had to completely dismantle the sub-chassis and file out the armhole to match the slot in the adapter plate so the arm could traverse the full length of the slot (does this make sense?). It's a long time ago now, but I'm pretty sure my adapter plate had a longer slot than yours.

This is where I'm at, with the arm at its furthest back in the armboard, it can't really go any further back as the end of the rear stub would hit the lid when its closed.
The back of the armboard lines up with the back of the hole on the sub platter, so even if I enlarged that, it could not move any further back in the armboard.

2021-05-28_05-27-00
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

If you want to close the lid you definitely need a 3009 Series II Improved! This early era of SME was designed for 301s, 124s etc which ended up in large cabinets. I have to admit I’m really surprised it won’t align though.

As a matter of interest try measuring the distance between the centre of the headshell cart mounting bolt holes and the outside edge of the mounting collar that meets up with the arm (i.e. not the part that goes inside the arm, just what is visible when fitted). I get 40mm with the type I’m using.

This is where I'm at, with the arm at its furthest back in the armboard, it can't really go any further back as the end of the rear stub would hit the lid when its closed.
The back of the armboard lines up with the back of the hole on the sub platter, so even if I enlarged that, it could not move any further back in the armboard.

2021-05-28_05-27-00
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr
Leaving dust cover clearance aside for the moment, are you able to move the arm back any further, or is it at the limit of armboard travel now?

It appears as though you might have another 2mm before the arm collar flange makes contact with the machine screw heads.

Then again, perhaps the screening can down below is already at the 3rd party mounting plate end stop.

Last edited:
It may be the angle of the dangle, but the armboard hole looks smaller than the adjustment hole in the arm plate.

Yes it is, but so do all the other straight SME armplates, unless the improved 3009 S2 has a different mounting distance.
Not all of the other straight SME mounting plates, just compare the last photo in post #29 to your plate. This SME supplied plate provides the full 70mm slot length of the tonearm bedplate. The maximum amount of travel is 70mm minus the widest dimension of the screening can.

These 'straight' plates place the line of tonearm travel at 70º to the line between tonearm pivot and platter spindle. The further away from this radius that the slot is angled, the greater the amount of travel that is required between any two overhang settings.

As a next step, you may want to try fitting the tonearm sans screening can.

Not all of the other straight SME mounting plates, just compare the last photo in post #29 to your plate. This SME supplied plate provides the full 70mm slot length of the tonearm bedplate. The maximum amount of travel is 70mm minus the widest dimension of the screening can.

These 'straight' plates place the line of tonearm travel at 70º to the line between tonearm pivot and platter spindle. The further away from this radius that the slot is angled, the greater the amount of travel that is required between any two overhang settings.

As a next step, you may want to try fitting the tonearm sans screening can.

Yeah, the one I have looks the same as the AS-160SME. All the photos I can find of a TD160 with an SME arm (mostly S2 Improved) show the arm mounted halfway along the or near the back as I have it, the closest I can find is this video that shows an early non-improved in a similar position:

Tony, the headshell measures 40mm from the middle of the catridge bolts to the start of the black metal shell.

I've taken the screening can off and it makes no real difference, it does not go back any further.

I think I might just scrap the idea, get another arm and be done with it! Keep the SME for the Denon project as originally planned if I can't get an M2-9/10/12...

advertisement

Back