advertisement

TD150 resto

Slow going this, I guess if I were an old duffer with loads of time on my hands both of them would be done in an afternoon.

As it is all I've managed to do is acquire another deck in better condition for swapping parts over. For the one that I'll give to my Mum the plan is pretty straight forward, for mine I've not decided what to do for a plinth yet, which dictates the armboard etc. I'm wondering if I can use an LP12 plinth, either aftermarket or original, in which case what that would leave me requiring from an armboard?

I believe that the TD-150 top plate is 3mm deeper than that of LP12. So, battens and fasteners aside, there would be some square cornered routing out to do - not recommended.

I'd follow this TD-150 plinth template and have a go at making an LP12-alike construction, with these internal dimensions, battens, etc.

Looks like 100mm W x 305mm D will clear the Thorens armboard.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-26-at-11-07-20-AM.png

The second one I bought as a donor was in better shape, I've just fired it up without touching it aside from setting up my cart. Sounds pretty good for something that looks like it has been sat in a shed for 10 years.

In fact considering its rather shonky build quality in relation to my LP12 it isn't outclassed at all. I can imagine with a better arm it will sound rather fine indeed.

I've ordered an AT3600 for £11 and a Behringer PP400 phono stage for a princely £19, so for £30 it has a new cart and phono stage ready for when it goes over to my Mum's.

a Behringer PP400 phono stage for a princely £19.

Blimey, are they any good? A friend is proving resistant to the necessary purchase of a phono stage if he ever wants to use his SL1200 again, so something functional that’s cheaper than the £85 Pro-Ject would be a bonus.

Blimey, are they any good? A friend is proving resistant to the necessary purchase of a phono stage if he ever wants to use his SL1200 again, so something functional that’s cheaper than the £85 Pro-Ject would be a bonus.

No idea, I just went with it because it was cheap and a reputable make.

No idea, I just went with it because it was cheap and a reputable make.
Input sensitivity is quoted at a rather high 5.3mV @ 1kHz. That, and the presence of a 1/4" TRS output connector (in addition to a standard RCA pair) betrays Behringer's DJ leanings.

Not to worry, only with the AT3600L (3.5mV @ 1kHz, 5 cm/sec) Mum may have to crank the wick up a bit more than expected (and should be advised to turn it right down before switching to other sources).

Going well this, done the grand total of naff all.
I was hoping that you had gotten the Behringer phono stage in and could comment on it, Matt.

I'm curious, as these are a mere $32.99 (plus 13% tax) over here. Contrast this with Pro-Ject's Phono Box MM (metal cover) at $119.99 ($30. off retail but still plus tax). I suspect that the plastic cover MM only Phono Box E must have replaced the latter.

I might just pick one of these Behringer models up anyway, as I wouldn't mind having something to optionally package in with the occasional record deck I restore that gets sold on.

20120723_004.jpg

20120723_006.jpg

I was hoping that you had gotten the Behringer phono stage in.

Curious, as these are a mere $32.99 (plus 13% tax) over here. Contrast this with Pro-Ject's Phono Box MM (metal cover) at $119.99 ($30. off retail but still plus tax). I suspect that the plastic cover MM only Phono Box E must have replaced the latter.

I might just pick one of these Behringer models up anyway, as I wouldn't mind having something to optionally package in with the occasional record deck I restore that gets sold on.

20120723_004.jpg

20120723_006.jpg

The Behringer is sat next to me on the floor in its packet, I've no expectations from it other than working!

Managed to get a whole day to myself for the first time in what feels like months, so I thought I'd best make some progress with this seeing as I have 3 other turntables all waiting work.

Swapped motors, the one in the basket case I bought originally has a slightly out of true motor shaft so I thought I'd put that in the TD150 that will be going to my Mum (sorry Mum). Also replaced the caps and resistor for the power/speed, I'd bought two sets one for this 150 and the one I'll be doing for myself, came with a nice picture and simple drawing in case like me you'd dismantled it all months ago and forgot how it went together.

Cleaned out the dried up bearing, re-oiled it and threw on a new belt, fired it up and that wonky motor shaft is noisy. I might try one of those kits you can glue to the bottom of the motor for the shaft to ride on a ball but I don't think that will cure it. I know my Mum won't be bothered but it will annoy me, to be fair it didn't measure too bad considering I didn't pay much attention to setting it up yet.

Moved on to the outer platter, it was showing some pitting and discolouration so decided to give it a rub down and see how bad it was. Had to get down to 60 grit before it started to come good, sadly all by hand and elbow grease. I must have used up all my in-between grits on exfoliating so I had to call it a day before I can get to the final finish stage but it already looks a lot better. Final one is 80 grit I think so lots to go.

Gave all the top plate, controls, arm and armboard a gentle clean as it had the usual tell tale signs of mucky finger use all over it, then called it a day and made a start on another project whilst I was in the mood. I think I'll leave the plinth on this one unless she really doesn't like it, it's clean enough, I will probably make a nicer one for mine as it has totally collapsed and they're only mickey mouse anyway.

Instead of the cheap AT cart I've decided to give this one a Rega Elys 2 that I got for free on a RP3 package I bought as a donor for my other project, it has a healthier output as well so should probably help the phono stage.

Nice work so far, Matt; especially so, considering the state of it before.

My personal favourite for final platter rim finishing is Autosol. With aluminium, it will take down the sanding scratches and get out the remaining dark spots better than further grit reductions. Mine was getting near to mirror finish before I decided to stop and keep some of the original turned on a lathe look.

I'll keep my eyes open for a dead coil donor motor over here. One came up for 20 quid recently that was showing OL on one coil.

Thanks Craig. Yes I've used autosol a lot previously, I currently have half a tube of Peek which isn't too dissimilar I think. I could probably manage it with paper alone as I have up to 12,000 grit here, just need some in between grits to get the rough out.

I had forgotten about Peek; I have a couple of tubes here myself. Apparently, it was good enough to keep HMS Britannia spiffy, as well the palace silverware once Brasso fell out of favour. Received a Royal Warrant at some point, too.

Of course, the Queen Mum always swore by gin and Dubonnet spit for the silverware.

Just spent the morning putting the good motor back into the fully complete deck and finishing off some other bits, put it all together and now have an insanely loud hum from one channel. I haven't got the time, patience or energy to pull it apart again and find out what it is so I think I'm just going to chuck it all on ebay, it has already taken far too long to get this far and I've lost the will to live now.

Slow going this, I guess if I were an old duffer with loads of time on my hands both of them would be done in an afternoon.

Nope. As you know, I am a card-carrying old duffer - and in theory I have loads of time on my hands, but I’m never sure why I don’t in practice - but one of these TD125 plinths still isn’t finished in practically a year. And the arm isn’t yet set up on the other. I blame these new-fangled CD contraptions for being just too convenient.

Looking good, BTW. I used Autosol on the TD125 platter as well. It looked great. For a while anyway - now it needs to be done again. And it hasn’t played a record yet...

Well it lives, turned out to be a dodgy old RCA connector (original) so I chopped off one end of a cheap interconnect and replaced the whole lead so it has a fresh cable, completely silent now.

Sat on the highly up market turntable support unit know as the floor it sounds pretty bloody good, @Craig B the little Behringer phono stage is as good a entry level unit I've heard, the Rega Elys sounds perfectly acceptable through it and if I had to I could easily live with this if push came to shove, seems too good to give away...

Love these Turntables. Might be slightly biased. Have one at home which was lovingly rebuilt and restored by someone via The Wigwam... :cool:

This one will be going to its new home at the weekend, I also have another deck's worth of bits to build my own to a slightly nicer spec but my main priority now is my DIY turntable that I should be starting very soon- touch wood.

advertisement

Back