advertisement

Tannoys......worth a gamble?

mfg

44748365881_7c0887b2cf_c.jpg
I love listening to music...all sorts! I have never owned any Tannoy hardware but knew of the brand name (please excuse me...Technics was perfectly good for me before this!!). At a recent auction room I saw these large speakers and at first it was the cabinets that drew me to them as I thought they looked well made with dovetail joints etc. I noted the Tannoy treble adjustment label on the rear of the cabinet and that being the only visible brand marking. After doing some overnight research on Tannoy Vintage Speakers and being hooked into what the possibilities might be I decided to see how the auction went. Fortunately I managed to get them at a "snip" but there were still doubts as to whether they contained Tannoy hardware. As you can see from the pics I think they contain 10" Monitor Reds and the appropriate crossovers 3-LZ? The cabinets weigh about 20-30kgs each and do not have any other outlet other than the main speaker hole. Cabinet dimensions are 33" High x 18.5" wide x 12.5" deep. The rear panel is particularly heavy with "plasterboard" filling. Going back to my love of listening to music I hooked them up to an amplifier I just happened to have - Yamaha Natural Sounds DSP5. With very little volume, to say I was blown away was an understatement. I heard sounds and notes that I have never heard in music that I have listened to all my life. These speakers are now sitting godlike in my dining room waiting for my next listen. I think these cabinets are obviously a project but based on what cabinet? I would be grateful if you can confirm what I have and anything I should be aware of regarding age of hardware. Many thanks in advance.
d1HEt2
7N0511
44748364411_b57ef19011_c.jpg
44748366201_1305cfaf50_c.jpg
44748366631_085de99d6f_c.jpg
44748366921_74d0f3f71e_c.jpg
44748367291_d92c291995_c.jpg
44748364741_ccc8f25499_c.jpg
44699012622_cbbc0604a6_c.jpg
30877798998_897cab3700_c.jpg
44699013432_511533a4e8_c.jpg
44748367591_c03444a42c_c.jpg

Last edited:
You need to upload the pics to a hosting service like Flickr. Then you can generate links to embed them in your post. If that doesn’t mean anything to you, send me a pm (conversation) and I’ll try to help you out.

Reactions: mfg
They look great - someone took a lot of care making those cabinets. If I had managed to get hold of those I would take the drivers out to check the state of the cones and surrounds and to make sure there was no rubbing. Take a look inside the crossover boxes to see if there was any sign of charring components. Then if all was fine, reassemble, enjoy and accept that I wasn’t due another slice of luck for a long time.

The cabinets are almost Lancaster-sized, certainly a lot bigger than the Tannoy designs for 10” units.

Excellent stuff, definitely the real deal. The cabs look very nicely made, I love the dove-tailing of the solid-wood outer-skin. How do they sound?

PS I’ve never seen a level control on Red crossovers before!

Yes Tony is correct- how do they sound? ( also what they were acquired for.):)

I hooked them up to an amplifier I just happened to have - Yamaha Natural Sounds DSP5. With very little volume, to say I was blown away was an understatement. I heard sounds and notes that I have never heard in music that I have listened to all my life.

I would guess ‘not bad!’

PS I’ve never seen a level control on Red crossovers before!
I had a pair of 10" reds that someone had fitted to rectangular Chatsworths, and seem to remember that they had the treble energy control too (I may have to dig through my 'old hifi' pics when I get home to check). They had astounding clarity but mine were extremely bass light. I wonder if those cabs, which look a bit larger, help them out a bit in this respect?

Love the look of the cabs btw, a fantastic find to be sure, 10" reds are relatively few and far between.

Who's a lucky boy then! Congratulations, they look terrific.

I'd love to know the provenance - someone has gone to great care over the damping, particularly with that rear panel.

Many thanks for your comments. I am not an expert in grading sound quality but they sound as if they are working as they should, very clear and with no buzzing etc. So I guess they (and the Amp) are not faulty. The cabinets are lovely just now but I think the wood finish could be further improved by a professional wood polisher/finisher. The room they are in at the moment is far from ideal; a dining room, fully carpeted and with furniture but they still sound awesome. The bass is full and booms/resonates even at low volume and the trebles are delicate but neither overpowers the other. I paid £290 for them so my gamble paid off I suppose. They are a great find but to be honest I don't think I will keep them and will probably look to sell to someone with the time and expertise to really enjoy them. I'm just happy to be part of their journey. Am I allowed to ask for ideas of their value and possibly where might be best to advertise them?

Awesome purchase! I've never seen a Tannoy with foam damping material placed so close to the rear chassis. I'm trying to imagine what the sonic effect of this would be....???

I couldn't say exactly what they're worth, but it will be a significant multiple of what you paid. If you want the very best price eBay is the place. You will do better if you're prepared to put some time and expense into packing well enough for shipping. But you will probably spend a lot of time dealing with fruitless enquiries.

If you wanted to sell on this forum you'd realise a bit less, but you can be certain they'd be going to a good appreciative home, and you'd certainly have a more pleasant transaction.

All that said, finding a speaker that will give you as much pleasure as these will be very difficult. Good Tannoys are a destination speaker for many seasoned audiophiles, and these are unusually good examples. I'd suggest making every effort to keep them!

At a guess I'd say somewhere between £1000 and £1500 if you were to stick them on ebay, reds always attract a fair bit of interest. But that's just my 'finger in the air' moment, it's hard to judge as they don't crop up too often. Would also depend on whether you'd be be prepared to strip the drivers and crossovers out and ship just those abroad I imagine.

Be sure you want to sell them first though, you're unlikely to have the good fortune to stumble on another pair at such a great price (though of course, I only paid £180 for mine :cool:, but that was in the days before ebay became the monster it now is).

I have a question about the change from Reds to Golds. Was there a transition period during which Tannoy were making Golds with Red magnets under the Gold magnet covers? If yes, what impact does this have on their value?

advertisement

Back