advertisement

Tannoy VX12 dual concentric cabinet ideas

The VX Manual states the recone kit for the VX12 model 7900 1285 driver is 7900 0441, that kit is also the recone kit for the 3142, i12,V12 and T12 bass cones. Just found these T&S;
TANNOY 3142 227 12”

Dia-mm f(s)Hz R(e)Ohms Z(max)O Q(ms) Q(es) Q(ts) V(as)litres L(e) mH SPL
265 69.31 5.09 31.29 4.043 0.786 0.658 37 1.30 93.85

M(ms) grams C(ms) mm/N BL
60.88 0.09 13.11

Thanks Cooky. I assume if they use the same second kit then the electrical characteristics would also be similar if not identical? Therefore, I could use one of the suggested cabinet designs previously mentioned? I may want to use an additional bass driver, as I would hate to build them and then live with the regret! A saying over here is 'I would rather be looking at than looking for it' and that seems quite apt. I am hopelessly out of my depth here I think, and truly appreciate the help provided by all those who have contributed to the thread so far.

Steve

No, just becuase they have the same come, it doesn't mean that the coil/motor parts are necessarily the same, which would change the electrical pramterspa obviously. Unless you can find a resource with the correct info you are going to have to measure them. Even if you can, you'll ideally still measure them.

Most people who design their own speakers Ignore data sheets and measure t/s parameters themselves.

Ok thanks guys. Looks like that would be the sensible thing to do. I suppose the question is would I be able to get ample bass (I am not into dub step!) From just this driver in an improved cabinet or maybe have to add another driver. I am sure the answer lies in the TS numbers. I like for 3xample lots of music that would use traditional percussion and double bass etc. I am sure everyone is looking for the ideal speaker, but of course they are all a compromise.

Steve

That's a difficult question to answer and as you've pointed out, It depends on the T/S parameters, but It also depends on your room and your taste. If what I've modelled Is correct, the kind of bass your getting now Is similar to something like a little standmount ProAc Response One SC. Lots of people like this type of tight, punchy bass because It works In most rooms (you're unlikely to get boom). I find an f3 of 45 to 50hz Is good enough for most music In most rooms. The more low frequency extension, the more chance of bass problems.

No, just becuase they have the same come, it doesn't mean that the coil/motor parts are necessarily the same, which would change the electrical pramterspa obviously. Unless you can find a resource with the correct info you are going to have to measure them. Even if you can, you'll ideally still measure them.
In this instance the various drivers share the same magnet assemblies and the cone / voicecoil is common (there’s only one kit).if the op was nearer I’d be willing to measure them for him but he’s in NI.

Ah, fair enough. Why all the model numbers if they are all the same then?
They redesigned the baskets and some PA ranges over the years, the VX12 have the latest 8 hole circular frame, the 3142, i12 etc use the earlier 4 bolt rectangular frame.The latest VX12 looks like it has a modified/cheaper tulip waveguide. You can even drop one of these cones into a CPA12 to make an i12(the original cone gives very different T&S and better bass response) which more than suggests that the mag assemblies are common even to the CPA12.

As a bump to this thread I have in my possession V12, 2x 3142 drivers-they are really well put together and feature the same magnet and tweeter as the 3833gg driver. Chunky and well finished you can see why they are pretty eye-wateringly expensive new..

After measuring the T&S an SC4/C4/QL.7 alignment looks promising.
Cheviot(ish)75L box still needs some tweaks port wise to get the velocity down....for some reason the software wont give me the group delay.....

44017293831_0041dc2225_c.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure you got your VAS measurement right? If so, that driver has the stiffest suspension (Cms) of any driver i've simulated.

EDIT: Looking at post #22, maybe it is right.

The drivers haven't been used for quite a while and after a day or so they've loosened up a bit. I'm getting a huge VAS of 37.3L now, Fs has dropped to 57.8hz. It takes some force to move the cone by hand.For same alignment cab needs to be 84L, Max Flat =80L. I've got a75L box lying around that I 'll use as a test bed to get a feel for the bass character and see how it goes..

Thread resurrection, did anything get built with 3142's? What cross-over solution did you use? I had some i12's which piqued my interest few years ago, but got sold off. I suspect the bass was restricted for power handling ( and matching to subwoofer)

In the test-bed box they sound great with a sub but clearly need some crossover tweaks to tame that crowd penetrating balance.

advertisement

Back