advertisement

Tannoy VX12 dual concentric cabinet ideas

aquapiranha

pfm Member
Hi. I have posted this question elsewhere but just looking for as many opinions as possible. I managed to buy a set of VX12 speakers for a bargain price and would like to build new cabinets for them as the bass leaves a little to be desired. Now, Tannoy will not provide TS parameters for them, but I may be able to get around that by measuring them myself. I prefer horn loaded cabinets but open to any ideas at all. Many thanks Steve

Ah thanks Cooky. So, I need to find a cabinet design now! Thanks for the info. I have actually emailed Tannoy who agreed to tell me the model of driver if I gave them the serial number but I am still waiting for their reply. So, on the face of it this sounds like good news! (?) Do you still live in New Brighton? Just wondering. Thanks

175 L is a good general recommendation for 12/15" Tannoys but the link to the T&S figures I posted on AOS trump that, I’d hope the op would model his enclosure using them since he asked for them..I'll model the box tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ah thanks Cooky. So, I need to find a cabinet design now! Thanks for the info. I have actually emailed Tannoy who agreed to tell me the model of driver if I gave them the serial number but I am still waiting for their reply. So, on the face of it this sounds like good news! (?) Do you still live in New Brighton? Just wondering. Thanks
Yes same place. I’ve posted the T&s on AOS.

175L 3 ports tuned to 40hz using T&S supplied by Speakerbits(which could be wrong-always best to check/measure).

27334944797_77601cd870_c.jpg

Not much to be gained by going larger than 125-150L and tweaking the tuning.
42206100811_a8f698156f_c.jpg

Thanks for the work you have put in! I remember that you are a bit of a Tannoy man to say the least! I will hopefully get a reply from Tannoy early next week as to the exact model and that may clear things up a bit.

Steve

Thanks for the work you have put in! I remember that you are a bit of a Tannoy man to say the least! I will hopefully get a reply from Tannoy early next week as to the exact model and that may clear things up a bit.

Steve
Its worth remembering Tannoy often deploy their drivers across pro and domestic ranges changing only the model number (and maybe the odd cone weather treatment). Differences often marginal, you just need to dig a bit ;-)You got a great bargain there!

175L 3 ports tuned to 40hz using T&S supplied by Speakerbits(which could be wrong-always best to check/measure).

27334944797_77601cd870_c.jpg

Not much to be gained by going larger than 125-150L and tweaking the tuning.
42206100811_a8f698156f_c.jpg

Hmmm - Not sure why my software gives a very different result (Jeff Bagby Woofer Box Model and Circuit Designer 5)

SD and RE look wrong on your model but that doesn't affect the frequency response.

This Is what I get with a 36ltr box with 4 x 2" diameter x 3" long ports (Tannoys original tuning):

uvqhUvu.gif

This Is what I was going to suggest 53ltr 3 x 2" diameter x 3" long ports.

pbl3eFr.gif

The VX12 cab is 36L tuned to 70hz if you trust the impedance plots supplied by Tannoy-I've seen 2 lots, one shows 100hz...... Sd looks like a 15" and the Re does look off but yes shouldn't affect the tunings.

36L/70hz
41493237184_4a9fe1671a_c.jpg

53L/53hz
41313698575_bb5a7af836_c.jpg

172L/39.5hz
42167935602_890c7f804c_c.jpg

And finally which is what I'd settle on;
125L/42hz
41313910475_1e79fc3d9a_c.jpg

Group delay Is very high with a 125ltr 42hz tuning and In Jeff bagbys software the frequency response has a large peak at the tuning frequency. Will have to play with some different software to compare...

We need more data. I think those T&S may be off. Yeah I've just seen the 125L group delay which is a bit high but a tuning tweak to 45hz can bring it below 27ms. The Cheviot Legacy 85L/45hz looks promising. So curiously we seem to be in Devon/Cheviot size boxes using a driver that looks like the 12" Legacy DC........

Last edited:
Can't you just measure the T&S parameters to be sure what you are working with here? It's quite easy to do. If you can't I'll happily do it for you gratis, I've got proper test gear here at KJFaudio.

Hi and thanks. I am not sure if it helps, but Tannoy got back to me this morning and tell me the model of the driver is 3201. Also I have the following part number.. 7900 1285
I have had a look around but I cannot find any info on them at all.

Steve

Last edited:

advertisement

Back