1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tannoy SRM 12X

Discussion in 'Interesting eBay auctions' started by Tony L, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

2. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Thanks Tony. I have decided to try a pair of big Tannoys. Norfolk is a bit of a tow and seeing as I have the room I might as well wait for exactly the right ones. Keep it up. Budget up to 2K what should I look out for?

3. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

I wonder if the SRM 12's are a bit better balanced than the LRM 12's by virtue of their larger cabs? I found the Little Reds (same drivers as the SRM 12's) to be lacking in bass and quite forward on the mids which all made them a bit tiring to listen to after a while. From my experience I reckon HPD's or Golds to be a more living room friendly experience.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They made both in different sized cabs, and yes, the small stand-mount 12" is way too small and has no bass. It still sounds great though as it has a lovely open mid and still shifts some proper air in the upper bass. These are definitely better though. Think of them more as a pro-audio take on the Chevoit/Chatsworth. With these pro Tannoys 'flat' is wrong as they were designed to be used in highly damped control rooms, they sound a lot better with the controls set doen a notch or two.

PS MVV, £2k should get you a pair of Ardens, £15" Golds in Lancaster cabs (though only with luck now as they are obviously on the way up at present), plus a good number of smaller models. The larger 15" SRMs or SGMs should be in range too, just, plus several DMTs (which are rare yet arguably undervalued), the 15" is very decent. Just be aware many of the foam surround drivers may need a recone, and whilst it really does restore them to as-new it is not cheap (factor about £700 or so for the pair). You can refoam just the edges if you have the skills, though I think this is third-party kit rather than actual Tannoy product. I'm pretty sure the official Tannoy line is to replace the whole cone assembly.

5. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Sorry, I made my post unclear due to mixing 'SRM' & 'LRM'. The Little Red Monitor is the same series as the ones linked to: SRM 12x vs SRM 12b which is aka the Little Red Monitor. I still think that they're too aggressive in the mids, regardless of crossover settings though ;). I never did find quite the right stands for them though, so maybe that would have helped.

I agree about the DMT series being undervalued; I've also had DMT 10 II's and to me they were much better balanced (for a domestic setting) than the LRM's. It's just a shame that Tannoy put so much effort into making them as ugly as humanly possible! I'd still grab a pair of the 12 or 15's if I got the opportunity though, but they're a bit thin on the ground.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Anyone any idea what the difference between the SRM and SGM is beyond the different crossover control plates (SGMs have gold plates with pins like the modern Prestige range). Is the actual crossover different?

I've only really heard these speakers in studios and they sounded great to me. Rob had a pair of the smallest 12" SGMs and they had no bass but I liked them elsewhere, I'd personally have described the mid as open and explicit rather than aggressive, though he'd have been driving them with either a Quad 34/405-2 or a WAD tube amp, I can't remember which, but both are arguably on the smooth side of neutral. Quads are always a great match with Tannoys as that is what so many studios used, i.e. it is what so much of the music we play was created with. I can't remember being in any Tannoy using studio and not seeing a dust-covered 303 or 405 lurking on the floor somewhere.

7. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Mmmm, maybe it was as simple as the amps I was choosing to run them, tbh I can't quite recall what I used but I'm pretty sure it was within my first explorations of valve amps, so perhaps they just wanted a bit more power.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just to counter the above I have heard FSMs strip paint, though I think the pair I heard had been tweaked/modified/altered in some way and that means all bets are off IMHO.

9. garyi

garyi leave blank

Whats the trick with this shape of speaker then, are you supposed to sit on the floor?

10. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

SGM 's have hard wired crossovers.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is a studio monitor, so would likely be mounted flush in the control-room wall behind the mixer. From a home audio perspective they'll benefit from a smallish stand.

12. John

John TDS free

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't seen too many Tannoy's that I would like better in my contemporary style home.

[​IMG]

13. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

I like the look of these SRMs; the finish matches my parquet floor! Wondering how they'd work close to corners in a 14'8 x 12 room firing across.

The cabinet size is almost identical to Cheviots, except that they are about 10cm deeper. I'm wondering about the dual ports though, and there are no pictures of them without the grilles off showing the ports. I'm not keen on the grilles at all.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They will be a lot drier than Cheviots. Like most of the studio monitors they shift a lot of air but don't dig very deep.

15. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Yes, I have to say that they look great in your room. I have a cronky old cottage in which battered old monkey coffins look best :D