advertisement

Tannoy Sampler

raysablade

pfm Member
My speaker search is starting to suggest I I really ought consider/explore the Tannoy option. Eatons look like a candidate that might offer the sound I want without being truly enormous.

However £6000 is a big commitment and I would like to be sure that the sound I get from a system based on a Sugden A21se justifies that.

I'm struggling to find Tannoy dealers near me in Newcastle so will probably need an overnight stay to visit a one, even then the demo room is unlikely to match mine.

A better route might be to buy some vintage Tannoys to approximate the Eatons sound and try living with them over a few months Then, if we get on, bite the bullet on a new set.

There seem to be a few vintage Tannoy's around for under £2000. Is the modern stuff radically different or would these be a good way to test the water?

I wouldn’t bother, I enquired after these months ago, only to be told they were sold even though they are still on their website, no wonder I have lost trust in dealers.

Thanks, these are the ones my plan formed around.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I wouldn’t bother, I enquired after these months ago, only to be told they were sold even though they are still on their website, no wonder I have lost trust in dealers.
Did they offer you a deal on a new pair at just a little more than the price of the used Eatons by any chance?

Those ones have been on their site for well over a year. It's click bait

You can find used tannoy Eaton legacy sometimes at 2.5k

And negotiate very good prices at some dealers .

By the way the a21se with the eatons is just absolutely superb...very very compelling sound . Match made in heaven .if they had better remotes then one would be at hifinutt towers still

By the way the a21se with the eatons is just absolutely superb...very very compelling sound . Match made in heaven .if they had better remotes then one would be at hifinutt towers still

Part of the agreement that will make this change possible is a move to one Auralic source. The only vestige of current the system that will actually remain on the floor will be the Tannoys, Vinyl moves to the Attic system.

Drastic surgery I'll admit, but it overcomes the limitations of the Sugden remote;)

It's a bit of an issue @raysablade though it could be worse you could be like me and live in N.Ireland, generally if I want to hear any component I have to buy it, there's only a very few dealers with very limited stock for demonstration and only probably a couple of items between them that I would have any interest in. They're all nice enough guys and it's fine if you like what they're selling.Unfortunately there's no enthusiast shows or bake-offs.
But the fact remains that the only way to really try something is in the context of one's own system and room.
I'd love to try a pair of ESL's , a pair of big Tannoys, maybe Cheviots or Ardens, perhaps some horns, not too mention a various amplification and analogue source components.

Did they offer you a deal on a new pair at just a little more than the price of the used Eatons by any chance?

They offered me a new pair, I at a similar price and seemed fixed on selling me the stands, which I didn't want or need. I was advised they were expecting some in a week or so. Several months down the line I was again advised they now had them. By this time I'd lost confidence in them (the dealer) and bought something else. It just felt I wasn't seeing the whole truth of it and especially as they are still showing on their website.

advertisement

Back