advertisement

Tannoy Owners

With some hand holding from Cooky I reconed these myself having had Hard Edge cones fitted by Lockwood back in 2011. The improvement in bass ( and pretty much everything else) has been a revelation.
Cabinets are 12mm cherry MDF over 18mm birch ply so very thick! Still working on the badges which my friends teenage son has 3d printed for me! Pics of the crossovers to follow.

46956390362_55580a23d8_c.jpg

46956389972_f36d27ec40_c.jpg

46956389092_90be88429c_c.jpg

46956393822_1baa5fe5b1_c.jpg

Cheers Keith
Have you stuck with your Cheviots then? You had some other small standmounts when I came to listen . Your Cs on those stands are a great look - can you post a pic of those cool trim rings you had made?

There's a pair of Tannoy Cheviot HPD 315A from 1976 available near me for around $1000 USD. They've been professionally refoamed.

I've never heard tannoys but am interested. Wondering what the collective PFM mind thinks...are these worth pursuing at that price?

Absolutely!

There's a pair of Tannoy Cheviot HPD 315A from 1976 available near me for around $1000 USD. They've been professionally refoamed.

I've never heard tannoys but am interested. Wondering what the collective PFM mind thinks...are these worth pursuing at that price?

Absolutely!

Maybe a bit of a hard/odd question but: I currently run Vienna Acoustic Bach Grands and Snell J's. I've never heard a Tannoy speaker. What should I expect? How picky are they about placement? Can they be hard? overly smooth? do play low?

Got some eatons which are next to a wall and sound good , smooth with superb imaging. Also got a friend who is fanatical about deep organ bass and he was happy enough with them . Not quite as good as the summit x but still good for a standmount

Hi, Who are the Tannoy owners here, and what drivers do you have? Anyone with Black, Silver, Reds?

15 inch Monitor Golds?

HPD 385 and 315?

etc

I have tried searching but too many threads and cannot make out drivers

Blame Montesquieu for exposing me to Reference Fidelity HPD 315a in Canterbury cabs with Silvercore 833c 20w amp and TD 124 with Ikeda 407 and 9TT

Good evening!

I've just joined... I've a pair of Monitor Gold 3LZ 10" from 1973!

Kind regards Stu ☺️

Looking forward to trying some sugden on the eatons soon . I anticipate some very deep bass judging how the amp has performed so far

Is there any good reason why a set of HDP 315’s would have rubber (looking) surrounds as opposed to foam, as I thought they should?

Missed this thread in the past. New member to the Tannoy fraternity with a pair of Legacy Ardens, which I've had about a month. Coincidentally it was a pair of Tannoys that started me off on my hifi journey way back in about 1991. They were M20 stand-mounts, probably quite poor by the standards of most of what I've had since, but they were great fun. Inbetweentimes I also had a pair of Chester 10" DCs which I wish I'd kept.

Is there any good reason why a set of HDP 315’s would have rubber (looking) surrounds as opposed to foam, as I thought they should?

I suspect that they are foam - very thin, very small celled foam, which looks like rubber. If in doubt, check with a lens. Think about the likelihood - where would anyone get rubber speaker mounts/surrounds? Possible, but...……………….

I suspect that they are foam - very thin, very small celled foam, which looks like rubber. If in doubt, check with a lens. Think about the likelihood - where would anyone get rubber speaker mounts/surrounds? Possible, but...……………….

Im looking at images so I’m limited to how close I can inspect these, but they look very black compared to the more grey foam surround. They look like the surrounds on my Eatons. I’m trying to work out if this is good or bad from a possible weight increase.

Im looking at images so I’m limited to how close I can inspect these, but they look very black compared to the more grey foam surround. They look like the surrounds on my Eatons. I’m trying to work out if this is good or bad from a possible weight increase.

There are, without a shadow of doubt, various "grades" of foam used for speakers. The HPDs here (refoamed before they were mine, but very likely with the correct surrounds) have very nearly black foam surrounds.
Try a torch on them, at an angle, you should be able to see the eggshell effect from them being foam.

It looks to me as if it would be either the F1-8 or the F1-10. I heard the latter a couple of years back but only at a show.

There are, without a shadow of doubt, various "grades" of foam used for speakers. The HPDs here (refoamed before they were mine, but very likely with the correct surrounds) have very nearly black foam surrounds.
Try a torch on them, at an angle, you should be able to see the eggshell effect from them being foam.

I’ll get a closer look this weekend.

advertisement

Back