advertisement

Tannoy Monitor Golds

Tony,

Is it a fact that the Reds with the orange dust caps use Silver cones or is it speculation?

Joe

Is it a fact that the Reds with the orange dust caps use Silver cones or is it speculation?

Not sure if it amounts to more than speculation / opinion, though I've certainly read it in several places. I suspect there are some comments on the long Tannoy thread on review33.com here, maybe some comment on the Yahoo Tannoy group too. I've certainly absorbed it somewhere - I'm sure I've read the whole internet about Tannoys now, but I've not indexed my brain especially well.

Tony.

What owning a HPD will let you do that a Gold can't is benefit from the new hard edge double roll cone surround as used on the current Prestige range

I have a pair of just these upgraded HPD's in a pair of my Birch ply GRF replicas, also these are with the upgraded Tannoy crossover (no switches etc what look like beefier components).

Not bad at all... Personally I would take them over the 2 pairs of Golds I have had recently...

Hi, what is the "hard edge" surround used on the new Tannoys? I can't seem to find much detail except it may be a "double roll"- what does that mean? Is it literally like 2 concentric narrow roll surrounds? What's the idea behind that? Anyone know?
I fixed my 15" HPDs (in Lancasters) with silicon impregnated silk rolls surrounds about 15 years ago and they sound good and hopefully will for many years to come.
Mark

5709797802_05b862c5be_b.jpg

Got my new crossovers (Thanks Phil!). They feature ClarityCap SA caps, Mundorf inductors and Mills resistors. The wiring at this stage is fairly hefty mains cable (I may possibly replace that in time). Initial impressions are very good, certainly cleaner and more extended in the treble, in fact cleaner throughout. I'll get used to them for a while and comment further. I'm not certain that is where they are going to be situated in the cab, it was just the easiest place to put them!

Tony.

Got my new crossovers (Thanks Phil!). They feature ClarityCap SA caps, Mundorf inductors and Mills resistors. The wiring at this stage is fairly hefty mains cable (I may possibly replace that in time). Initial impressions are very good, certainly cleaner and more extended in the treble, in fact cleaner throughout. I'll get used to them for a while and comment further. I'm not certain that is where they are going to be situated in the cab, it was just the easiest place to put them!

Tony.

Ooohh. Are they a one-off build or made to order? I'd looked at replacing mine a few years ago but got nowhere - I kept being told that the correct transformers were no longer available. My Golds are going to be off line for a while so this year might be a good time to revisit the crossover question....

[/QUOTE]

Ooohh. Are they a one-off build or made to order? I'd looked at replacing mine a few years ago but got nowhere - I kept being told that the correct transformers were no longer available. My Golds are going to be off line for a while so this year might be a good time to revisit the crossover question....[/QUOTE]

+1,

I'd be interested as well if Phil is up for commissioning another set provided the cost is not prohibitive.

looks good Tony.

having tried both, I prefer a metal core inductor on the bass. Gives a bit more 'heft'.

If you're finding things a little bass-light, would reccomend trying this as an alternative.

It is not an expensive experiment to try should you wish to do so of course.

to others, that's a pretty simple crossover to copy, if you can use a soldering iron at all, it's only a handful of parts.

Tony , Your more than welcome .

Andy , you don't know how timely your comment is , I've been thinking about making these crossovers up for others . I'll drop you a PM .

Andy , you don't know how timely your comment is , I've been thinking about making these crossovers up for others . I'll drop you a PM .

I'd be interested in a quote too if you are panning some production. House move in progress but come autumn I'll be potentially the market.

You should - looks like a superb job Phil.

having tried both, I prefer a metal core inductor on the bass. Gives a bit more 'heft'.

That is generally the case due to lower dcr.
However, the inductor used here looks to use very substantial wire which gets around the issue. You also want to keep the dcr similar to the original if you want to truly replicate the crossover.

What do you plan to do with them?

I've fitted them into the cabs as I suspect they are very slightly better than the pair I had (more recent, very close serials), but to be honest it was just that they came up locally at a fair price and from a known source (a pfm member) and I'd far prefer to have the cash sitting in a pair of vintage Tannoys than depreciating at about 5% a year in the Halifax. I've got a TD-124, some Lencos, SME arms etc for the same reason, a fair few records too.

Tony.

5709797802_05b862c5be_b.jpg

Tony.
Nice job & all top quality components too ;-)

If my 401s didn't sound so bloody good already I might be tempted to swap the Solen fast caps for something a little more exotic.

How do they sound now you've had a chance to listen for a while?

Mr Tibbs

Use the spares to build a PA system for instructing the pfm working in other areas... ...what do they call those systems???

advertisement

Back