advertisement

Tannoy Monitor Golds

The copper that's been mined from the Earth's crust is 4.6 billion years old and somehow managed to survive eons with its coppery properties intact, yet when it's drawn and an insulator is extruded over it, it apparently degrades after a couple of decades.

That one needs to be explained to me.

Joe

B.S! Every good person knows the earth is 6,000 years old. Just stop this Satanic stuff now.

Well to be honest what hi-fi magazine is supposed to be non-biast reviews, and it is the longest running review magazine as far as i know but maybe i should just trust my own ears

Do come along now Joe, you'll be telling me that you don't believe in homoeopathy next.;)

To be fair the iron in my motor car is the same age as the copper in my cables but that can certainly degrade, and does.

Steve,

Well, yeah, copper can oxidize, but the claims I've heard usually involve electrons in the conductor that have been exhausted (as in depleted) or electrons in the conducor that are exhausted (as in can no longer give 100% percent effort).

Joe

Dec,

B.S! Every good person knows the earth is 6,000 years old. Just stop this Satanic stuff now.
OK, the copper that's been mined from the Earth's crust is 6,000 years old and somehow managed to survive several thousand years with its coppery properties intact, yet when it's drawn and an insulator is extruded over it, it apparently degrades after a couple of decades.

That one needs to be explained to me.

Joe

Of course electrons can be depleted Joe, it's particularly apparent in unidirectional cables because they always have to go the same way. Obviously after a few years one end of the cable is going to be empty.:p

I usually know when mine are ready for replacement because the excess +ve charge starts to suck the picture out of the side of the TV screen. Still it's only £1500 every 2-3 years and I'm away again, I can sell the old reduced-electron cables to less discerning audiophiles.;)

You can, of course, decrease electron depletion with cryogenic treatment followed by 10 to 20 years careful curing, remembering to turn the cables every so often in order to ensure the delicate electrons are properly balanced. Although my cables were not cryogenically treated, they had been carefully cured and turned for over two decades before I pulled them out of a skip :)

Of course electrons can be depleted Joe, it's particularly apparent in unidirectional cables because they always have to go the same way. Obviously after a few years one end of the cable is going to be empty.:p

I usually know when mine are ready for replacement because the excess +ve charge starts to suck the picture out of the side of the TV screen. Still it's only £1500 every 2-3 years and I'm away again, I can sell the old reduced-electron cables to less discerning audiophiles.;)

Surely the plugs at either end trap the electrons? All you need to do is unplug the cables every now and then, give them a good shake to redistribute the electrons, then re-insert them into your system.

Well to be honest what hi-fi magazine is supposed to be non-biast reviews, and it is the longest running review magazine as far as i know but maybe i should just trust my own ears

Unfortunately, you can't trust any magazine that I know of. The reviewers of product (even if they know anything about the subject) have their own tastes, prejudices and 'friends' in the industry. Then you need to consider that the mags can't survive without advertising and you have a situation where they don't dare to give an iffy review to any advertiser. They can't bite the hand that feeds them.

Hi dave an interesting theory you have there, i must admit i am a little suspicious that QED seem to be the constant golden boys when it comes to these reviews if you know what i mean, anyway i have now decided to take your advice and go down the ATLAS route to match my interconnects, i have found a cable called ATLAS BASIC 2.0 which retails for around £2.95 per metre but with careful shopping around i can pay £2.59 per metre i know it's not a great reduction but at a price that low you can't expect to reduce that much can you? best matt

I bought some Cardas Golden Cross off the 'Bay at a knock-down price. One glance told me that the poor simp who was offloading them had allowed electrons to accumulate at the business end of the cables. A couple of shakes and a quick blast on the cable-burner and they were back to their toe-tapping best. Not bad for £40, eh?

Joe I have a confession to make. I used you to get Diana Ross into a thread about Tannoy Monitor Golds. If Petrick can insinuate Star Trek into a thread about Iraq then this is the level I have to stoop to. Im not proud.
PS. Re your "Golden Cross" cables- if it looks too good to be true.....

Time to restart this thread as it's kind of my Tannoy blog, and it was sinking further and further away after The Great HiFi Disaster Of 2010 (where for no apparent reason I sold the first pair). Anyway, I'm back with another pair of 15" Monitor Golds, this time in rather fugly but wonderful sounding DIY York cabs:

5588925302_9932410be1_o.jpg

The drivers and cabinets are not historically related, the drivers were pulled from a pair of Lancaster cabs by the previous owner who also came by these old hefty blockboard York cabs. The drivers and crossovers seem to be in very tidy unmolested original condition. The stats are:

Serial: 102432
Woofer: 6.2 Ohms
Horn: 11.8 Ohms

Serial: 102962
Woofer: 6.3 Ohms
Horn: 11.5 Ohms

They are later than the last pair (0772xx), I'd guess at 1971-2, and they seem nice and close measurement and sound wise. I gave the 4 pin plugs a good scrub with some Brasso wadding and worked some switch cleaner in the control switches on the rear panels.

5595250717_35f06e6e7d_o.jpg

I've just spent the afternoon with some masking tape and some matt black paint and I've repainted the baffles. Now looking a fair bit more presentable. They sound superb, just more of everything I liked about the last pair: massive, effortless, free, unstrained, life sized - that sound I remember from good recording studio control rooms. They is fun. I'm planning to do very little to this pair, the only thing currently on the list is to redo the internal wadding as it's really nasty dirty old wool stuff tacked to the case with grubby old cotton sheets or something. I'm sure it can be improved. I'm not planning to crack the crossovers open this time, if I fancy fiddling with crossovers later I'll just get some built from scratch.

Tony.

I don't see anything fugly about them, painting the front baffles has done wonders for them. I really like the looks of Tannoy's sans the grilles. Look very purposeful that way!

Nice Tony. The driver benefits from flush mounting via use of a sub baffle and personally I'd leave the long fibre wool alone-it is the material of choice originally.

I notice that the Rosewood finish matches your record shelving behind. It must be fate, and they are looking very good.

Congrats Tony-glad to see you're back on track!

Are you planning to make any grills? Sid Chaplain has a wonderful array of authentic cloths, in case you're on the hunt for some.

Moz

I don't see anything fugly about them, painting the front baffles has done wonders for them. I really like the looks of Tannoy's sans the grilles. Look very purposeful that way!

Yes, they look a lot better now. I'll just have a good search of the Yahoo Tannoy group as I'd like to check it's ok for the surrounds to left out in the light - they won't get any direct sunlight in this room, but I'd like to be sure the slight tackiness of Gold surrounds won't dry out.

Nice Tony. The driver benefits from flush mounting via use of a sub baffle and personally I'd leave the long fibre wool alone-it is the material of choice originally.

IIRC from the last pair I think front-mounting the driver needs a slightly bigger hole, and sadly it's way, way beyond my woodworking ability to enlarge it so I suspect they'll be staying back mounted. As for the wadding I've just stuffed a couple of old black T-shirts behind the the ports over the ugly cotton and wool stuff, so at least I can't see it anymore from the listening seat!

I notice that the Rosewood finish matches your record shelving behind. It must be fate, and they are looking very good.

LOL at 'rosewood', I wish! It's kind of brown varnished blockboard. Very basic indeed, but it's not too bad really, they have a charm of their own, though they're not going to worry anything in the Prestige Range for fit and finish.

Are you planning to make any grills?

They came with some grills. Currently they are covered in a very thin black material and I don't like the looks very much. The (simple unfinished wood) frames are useable though, and I actually have enough of the grey cloth I used on the last pair to do them as I bought extra just in case I decided to go for GRF cabs at any point. The only issue is the weave would have to run sideways (i.e. warp horizontal, not weft) rather than vertically, which might look a little odd close up. I'd certainly need to stretch them very, very accurately to get it to look any good. it's an option anyway. I think I'll only do it if I find any information suggesting the Golds' surrounds don't like being out in daylight.

Tony.

advertisement

Back