advertisement

Tannoy LGM

hifi_dave

Hi-Fi Retailer
I recently bought a lovely pair of Tannoy 'Little Gold Monitors' from Robert. They sound pretty interesting and are in wonderful condition but I haven't been able to find out much about them on the www.

Can anybody fill me in ?:eek:

How's that for a start. You already have the review on the SRM12X which may go a little way to explaining the brightness in yours. The crossovers look to be the later ones, so stepping the tweeter down in level by one notch should be fine..

http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy40.htm

The plots in link below show the raggedy tweeter often referred to. The 3KHz peak well evident and the lumpy responce over 10KHz. Reducing top level and possibly rolloff too can help on these oldies (the LGM may not be so vicious - I'll tell you when I hear them :D)

http://44bx.com/tannoy/hpd_fr2.html

Kick out the elcos for PP and the bass gets better. Short out the time alignment circuit, too (if there is one), and the treble gets better.

Thanks for the info. I'll get DSJR to take a look at the x-over when he comes over soon. He'll do anything for a bacon sandwich. :D

Bloody cheek :D :cool:

I'm having the best musical sessions in years at the moment and still can't believe my luck. Even the vinyl's not sounding too bad at present :eek::

I still haven't got any 'real' info on the LGM with their 12 inch drivers. There wasn't much in that link.

Any idea of age, original cost, driver model etc. Would they benefit from larger cabs and if so what ?

All contributions gratefully received.

I`ll copy you the Tannoy tech spec sheet I have for the SGM12x later - same driver/xover . I think they went from about 1987-90/91 after the LRMs. Driver are 3149`s , I think about £7-800 each at the time. 46 litre cabs, bass from 55hz ( -3 db)
I have just built some 100 L cabs - see Tannoy yahoo groups photo page . Mine are along the lines of the Balmoral ( try google ) and are sounding better than they ever have before . I`ve had them in LGM cabs and 12X cabs before but always craved a little more bass.
If I`d had the space I`d have built Edinburgh clones - 200L with slotted ports and bass to 30hz. One day.

advertisement

Back