advertisement

tannoy legacy series

I don’t think the Luxman is at all syrupy. I laughed when I read that. It’s very neutral and transparent, gobs of power too. I’m fairly certain it’s just a position thing.

Ah well it is very easy on the internet to spend somebody else's money by making a few suggestions :D

Which Luxman are we talking about? I would have thought anything with a reasonable amount of push-pull power would be ideal for these.

Which Luxman are we talking about? I would have thought anything with a reasonable amount of push-pull power would be ideal for these.
L590AX-II - their current top-of-range class A integrated. 30w class A. Then another 120w or so A/B apparently. Plenty of grunt!

I thought it was an EL34 Luxman. My Jadis is 60W the DA50S I had before it was 30W. It was a lovely amp but 'softer' than the DA88S.

@tonerei I am loving my restored Legacys, in a room that's a bit small but the sound is superb! They replaced a pair of MkI Kans which is a bit like jumping out of a Mini and into Bentley GT without pausing...

I'm not sure they will ever leave the house again.

How small a room?:)

Saw one in Fanthorpes on a rare visit to Hull but never got to hear it ... spec looks fine. Doubt it's the amp.
Oddly enough I was just rearranging boxes in the attic and I dug out the Luxman’s ‘manual’. It claims 20-20KHz +/-0.5dB for MC and MM, and 20-100KHz for line, so it’s probably as close to ruler flat as these things go. To be honest, it’s not a big deal, like I say, “seasoning to taste”, but maybe I do need to play some more with positioning. I may try to do the measurements thing sometime if I get a chance...

Oddly enough I was just rearranging boxes in the attic and I dug out the Luxman’s ‘manual’. It claims 20-20KHz +/-0.5dB for MC and MM, and 20-100KHz for line, so it’s probably as close to ruler flat as these things go. To be honest, it’s not a big deal, like I say, “seasoning to taste”, but maybe I do need to play some more with positioning. I may try to do the measurements thing sometime if I get a chance...

The level vs frequency of harmonic and perhaps intermodulation distortion and the output impedance also affect the overal balance, but I wouldn't expect any of these to be an issue on a Luxman transistor amplifier (the L-509X measured by Stereophile is perfectly fine).
The valve SQ-N150 on the other hand does move away from neutrality/accuracy quite a bit:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/luxman-sq-n150-integrated-amplifier-measurements

I fail to see any reason for caution, it’s moving a speaker a few inches and following the recommended arrangement by the designers it certainly isn’t theoretical- the directivity is a function of the design.
Any discussion regarding the driver height needs to consider the room and the seating height obviously but again are we really to believe that Tannoy consistently place their drivers too low and have been for 50 years?

I’m extremely happy this discussion came about. I have lived with my current setup of Tannoy DMT15’s for over a decade with them in the same position. They were toed in so that from the listening position I could see the inner side panels of the speakers. Yesterday I was able to toe them in quite a bit more so that the cone now beams directly at the center of the listening position.

This has made a marked improvement to not only how each individual speaker sounds but also to how the two sound as a whole. More coherence, balance and much improved soundstage. I like to usually sit a foot from the sweet spot and this has helped greatly with the overall performance.

I’d like to try toeing them in to the cross eyed position but that would require removing the speakers from the stands and repositioning them. Maybe some other time, for now I’m just going to enjoy where they’re at.

I’m extremely happy this discussion came about. I have lived with my current setup of Tannoy DMT15’s for over a decade with them in the same position. They were toed in so that from the listening position I could see the inner side panels of the speakers. Yesterday I was able to toe them in quite a bit more so that the cone now beams directly at the center of the listening position.

This has made a marked improvement to not only how each individual speaker sounds but also to how the two sound as a whole. More coherence, balance and much improved soundstage. I like to usually sit two feet from the sweet spot and this has helped greatly with the overall performance.

I’d like to try toeing them in to the cross eyed position but that would require removing the speakers from the stands and repositioning them. Maybe some other time, for now I’m just going to enjoy where they’re at.

You've gone from this:

BmXk1tF.jpg

To this:

GbRSJn7.png

My daughter stopped by today and helped me reorientate the speakers and stands into a cross eyed setup. The speakers are 2.03 meters apart and my main listening position a bit further than that behind where the ottoman is setup. A bit off from the sweet spot but this new arrangement compensates for that very well. The picture was taken from the stairway behind to really show the angle.

UH8USYP.jpg
Digging it! Happy New Year!

Last edited:
I used my first pair firing straight on like that, actually aligned with a tape measure (I am exactly that obsessive). It was certainly really clear and the least impact of the room, but I ended up thinking it was a bit analytical and ‘over focused’ if that’s a thing, though I suspect my room is a lot more acoustically damped (thick carpet, loads of vinyl, junk, curtains etc) than yours. I ended up where I am as it still gives a solid centre, Miles is just ‘there’, but seems to stick stuff nice and wide and beyond the speaker plane on the right material.

My daughter stopped by today and helped me reorientate the speakers and stands into a cross eyed setup. The speakers are 3.3 meters apart and my main listening position a bit further than that behind where the ottoman is setup. A bit off from the sweet spot but this new arrangement compensates for that very well. The picture was taken from the stairway behind to really show the angle.

UH8USYP.jpg

Are you sure those drivers are as much as 3.3m apart? Those must be big plant pots!

Jtc I will repeat : isoacoustics footers under your ardens and you will be in heaven with the top end. It will also raise them up an inch or so.

It's everything you want. Don't fight it.

My daughter stopped by today and helped me reorientate the speakers and stands into a cross eyed setup. The speakers are 2.03 meters apart and my main listening position a bit further than that behind where the ottoman is setup. A bit off from the sweet spot but this new arrangement compensates for that very well. The picture was taken from the stairway behind to really show the angle.

UH8USYP.jpg

You should try placing a thick and dense rug in the space between the sofa and the speakers.

Floor bounce may not be an issue but .....Imagine the floor is a mirror, locate large scatter cushion/ thick rug where your speakers' reflection would be when viewed from sofa. Love this room.

advertisement

Back