advertisement

tannoy legacy series

I flattened mine; they’re behind the wardrobe. Pulling all the large metal staples out without damaging the cardboard was fun!

Save the staples to poke your ears with to remove the ear beatles that cause the clicking noises. Russ Andrews sells something similar but there 659.99 for the 1 cm and a ton more per cm.

Save the staples to poke your ears with to remove the ear beatles that cause the clicking noises. Russ Andrews sells something similar but there 659.99 for the 1 cm and a ton more per cm.
Your audiophile genius knows no bounds. Lower bounds, that is ;)

Seems as good a place as any to post about my new Tannoy Legacy Cheviots. Ordered them at the beginning of November and anxiously watched as they got delayed and delivery got pushed out to late November. Got them early December thankfully so avoided the Brexit January mess and all the potential vat & excise problems that may surface.

Initially very underwhelming. Very shut in almost dull sounding and bass that completely overpowered the room. I played around with them for a few weeks adjusting the treble controls and putting bungs in and out. Raised them up nearly 200mm and then eventually settled for 100mm stands I have already for my 63's.

Slowly but surely the sound opened up and the bass turned from being too much without the two bungs in to the current arrangement which is up 100mm off the floor and no bungs in unless a track is saturated with bass. Sound wise I am really delighted. Well recorded classical, jazz and contemporary music sounds visceral and real. The tulip wave guide gives a huge amount of detail. On harsher sounding tracks that I would like such as early Talking Heads the treble can be left at level to take the edge of David Byrnes squeals. Soundstage is fantastic. The depth of bass notes and lower registers in general is really natural and enjoyably audible and deep. They have turned out to be exactly what I had hoped big 12 inch driver speakers would sound like if done right. I had started out looking at Spendor SP100R2's but got my head turned looking at these threads. Did a fair amount of investigation and reading of reviews etc. I discounted the Ardens because of the size of my room and concerns around getting them to sound well in the space available. The price for the Ardens was 'only' about 700 quid more so there was a big of agonising around whether I should dig deeper and go for the big one! Decided after much thought and some discussion with JTC here that the Cheviots were the right size. Highly recommend them, listening to Bill Evans Paris Concert at the moment and it is like sitting in the room in Paris.

Not sure what is going to happen with production post Brexit and if the coatbridge factory closes. Is production still going to be done by the current workforce or moved abroad?

Edit just to add that I found what works best for me is the toed in position just crossing in front of my sitting position. The speakers for me also work best out in the floor. They are approx 1m from the walls with bookcases behind them but standing proud from these. I use GIK panels behind them. Voices, Piano sit close to the top of the fireplace. Speakers disappear for stuff that is coming in stereo. It all hangs in the middle of the room.

How are you finding its HF now? It’s the only area I have anything approaching criticism of the Ardens, inasmuch as on some tracks I think I would like a bit more treble energy. Paradoxically it’s absolutely spot on perfect on other tracks. Maybe it’s just being super truthful to what’s actually on the recording, rather than imparting a bit of brightness to everything.

I am wondering if it might benefit in this regard from short plinths, perhaps spiked into the carpet and with the Ardens on isolation feet atop.

Still love the speakers but perhaps a touch of seasoning to taste is required...

So pleased tonerei, thanks for write . As you say , imaging is just superb

Well you along with JTC have to shoulder most of the blame for me choosing them;)
Sure you don't mind taking one for the team when I tell SHMBO 'they made me do it!

Your posts appeared on threads everywhere about Tannoy legacy speakers:D. You led me to the german reviews and the fact you could move from airy ML's suggested the Tannoys had to have plenty of detail.

So thank you for all your positive and sensible thoughts

How are you finding its HF now? It’s the only area I have anything approaching criticism of the Ardens, inasmuch as on some tracks I think I would like a bit more treble energy. Paradoxically it’s absolutely spot on perfect on other tracks. Maybe it’s just being super truthful to what’s actually on the recording, rather than imparting a bit of brightness to everything.

I am wondering if it might benefit in this regard from short plinths, perhaps spiked into the carpet and with the Ardens on isolation feet atop.

Still love the speakers but perhaps a touch of seasoning to taste is required...

Will come back to this when I have a bit more time. I know if I started posting about the Cheviots new out of the box I would be contradicting myself daily. A hifi dealer advised me once crap in crap out. But I assume in your case the music you are referring to is stuff you have heard differently on other speakers.

Some reviewers/posters on forums have suggested the Ardens are more coloured but this could be just people posting things on the internet:). Some of those reviewers were comparing the Cheviots to Klipsch Forte speakers which didn't impress me. i.e. I was hoping the Tannoys would be compared to speakers further up the food chain. From what I am hearing so far I think they are excellent speakers. Because of covid I haven't had the usual traffic of friends through the house for a listen. They can be cruel with their honesty ! but joking aside I would place a high value on their views as a result.

Seems as good a place as any to post about my new Tannoy Legacy Cheviots. Ordered them at the beginning of November and anxiously watched as they got delayed and delivery got pushed out to late November. Got them early December thankfully so avoided the Brexit January mess and all the potential vat & excise problems that may surface.

Initially very underwhelming. Very shut in almost dull sounding and bass that completely overpowered the room. I played around with them for a few weeks adjusting the treble controls and putting bungs in and out. Raised them up nearly 200mm and then eventually settled for 100mm stands I have already for my 63's.

Slowly but surely the sound opened up and the bass turned from being too much without the two bungs in to the current arrangement which is up 100mm off the floor and no bungs in unless a track is saturated with bass. Sound wise I am really delighted. Well recorded classical, jazz and contemporary music sounds visceral and real. The tulip wave guide gives a huge amount of detail. On harsher sounding tracks that I would like such as early Talking Heads the treble can be left at level to take the edge of David Byrnes squeals. Soundstage is fantastic. The depth of bass notes and lower registers in general is really natural and enjoyably audible and deep. They have turned out to be exactly what I had hoped big 12 inch driver speakers would sound like if done right. I had started out looking at Spendor SP100R2's but got my head turned looking at these threads. Did a fair amount of investigation and reading of reviews etc. I discounted the Ardens because of the size of my room and concerns around getting them to sound well in the space available. The price for the Ardens was 'only' about 700 quid more so there was a big of agonising around whether I should dig deeper and go for the big one! Decided after much thought and some discussion with JTC here that the Cheviots were the right size. Highly recommend them, listening to Bill Evans Paris Concert at the moment and it is like sitting in the room in Paris.

Not sure what is going to happen with production post Brexit and if the coatbridge factory closes. Is production still going to be done by the current workforce or moved abroad?

Edit just to add that I found what works best for me is the toed in position just crossing in front of my sitting position. The speakers for me also work best out in the floor. They are approx 1m from the walls with bookcases behind them but standing proud from these. I use GIK panels behind them. Voices, Piano sit close to the top of the fireplace. Speakers disappear for stuff that is coming in stereo. It all hangs in the middle of the room.

Congrats on a successful purchase. Are the Cheviots a replacement for your Quad 63s or do you intend to keep both? If the former, I'd be really interested in your views re comparative strengths and weaknesses between the 2.

The System DMT studio monitors heritage( rather than the mythical HPD one) accounts for the 'quality' reproduction on display from these Legacy drivers and is the true lineage of the range.
The 'cross eyed ' set up widens the sweet spot ( for sound technical reasons namely the way a CD horn radiates on and off axis) and imo produces the best imaging.

Well you along with JTC have to shoulder most of the blame for me choosing them;)
Sure you don't mind taking one for the team when I tell SHMBO 'they made me do it!

Your posts appeared on threads everywhere about Tannoy legacy speakers:D. You led me to the german reviews and the fact you could move from airy ML's suggested the Tannoys had to have plenty of detail.

So thank you for all your positive and sensible thoughts

thanks , yes normally standmounts dont last long here , the memory of my delicious martin logan summit x lingers :rolleyes: but got to keep swmbo happy and the legacy seem to do the trick and are not going anywhere .... unless someone sells their verity audio parsifal anniversary :cool::cool:

The System DMT studio monitors heritage( rather than the mythical HPD one) accounts for the 'quality' reproduction on display from these Legacy drivers and is the true lineage of the range.
The 'cross eyed ' set up widens the sweet spot ( for sound technical reasons namely the way a CD horn radiates on and off axis) and imo produces the best imaging.

Is there more information somewhere regarding the cross eyed setup. I sit just a bit farther from the monitors than they are from one another, about 2.3 meters. My eyes are inline with the inside edges of both speakers so the tweeters beam more to the right and left of me.

These are the instructions supplied with the DMT’s:

clfQcIl.jpg

Is there more information somewhere regarding the cross eyed setup. I sit just a bit farther from the monitors than they are from one another, about 2.3 meters. My eyes are inline with the inside edges of both speakers so the tweeters beam more to the right and left of me.

These are the instructions supplied with the DMT’s:

clfQcIl.jpg

This white paper has a good explanation on Page 9-it applies to all the DC's not just tulips..

http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/directivity.pdf

@tonerei I am loving my restored Legacys, in a room that's a bit small but the sound is superb! They replaced a pair of MkI Kans which is a bit like jumping out of a Mini and into Bentley GT without pausing...

I'm not sure they will ever leave the house again.

Yes within reason- I think Geddes has the ideal angle as 22deg whereas Tannoy have consistently said 15deg though tbh the Tannoy DC behaves slightly different from a conventional constant directivity horn.

Congrats on a successful purchase. Are the Cheviots a replacement for your Quad 63s or do you intend to keep both? If the former, I'd be really interested in your views re comparative strengths and weaknesses between the 2.

At this moment the intention is to hold both. 63's are at the moment being used on a second system. I did the same thing with the 57's for a few years so in the new year will bring the 63's back in for a detailed critical comparison. Initially the Cheviots have exceeded my expectations. Musical and organic. Easy to listen to but detailed in much more positive way than I expected. The new price for the Cheviots compared to the price for a fettled pair of 63's has to be factored in. I think the 63's are incredible speakers and the sound they produce is holographic and there is really no excuse for me to get another pair of speakers. But boys like toys and one only lives once. I make enough sacrifices elsewhere to rationalize it in my head.
At this moment in time I would recommend either speaker as attainable destination speakers unless you are in the market for much higher priced exotica.
I can equally understand a person who has lived with Tannoys for a long time to find the 63's lacking in the lower mid range area. Equally somebody who has enjoyed the magical clarity of the 63's with the ability to deliver all the detail and nuances stats bring could find the Tannoys over powering.

I took note of some of your comments and @montesquieu around the quality of this series and certainly my experience so far concurs with your view and thoughts on these speakers. With regard to @JTC set up I suspect strongly he needs to at least adjust the Ardens to the 'cross eyed' set up. Well at least try it out as it is the easiest adjustment to make. I read your view on not needing to raise them up and will revisit moving the Cheviots back to ground level at some point to compare again.

@tonerei I am loving my restored Legacys, in a room that's a bit small but the sound is superb! They replaced a pair of MkI Kans which is a bit like jumping out of a Mini and into Bentley GT without pausing...

I'm not sure they will ever leave the house again.

Good for you, delighted they worked out. I assume you are talking about original Cheviots. Did you go for RFC restoration route or diy?

advertisement

Back