advertisement

tannoy legacy series

ah well , hope you get it sorted , i know SS amps are probably not the same flavour but i am thankful i get no hum whatsoever as it drives me stark raving bonkers
To be fair, like the Naim amp I mentioned above, SS amps can be just as noisy as valve ones. It's all sounding good regardless, and I'm happy.

Out of interest, seeing as the legacy speakers come with foam bungs to adjust LF response, and before I dig mine out of the attic to experiment, has anyone else tried them and if so, how’d it go?

Asking as, in my room, I wonder if I might benefit from a little less bass. It’s a great sound but sometimes I think it can be almost too much of a good thing.

I seem to remember seeing comparative plots for a Tannoy speaker with and without bungs, but can’t find it anymore...

Out of interest, seeing as the legacy speakers come with foam bungs to adjust LF response, and before I dig mine out of the attic to experiment, has anyone else tried them and if so, how’d it go?

Asking as, in my room, I wonder if I might benefit from a little less bass. It’s a great sound but sometimes I think it can be almost too much of a good thing.

I seem to remember seeing comparative plots for a Tannoy speaker with and without bungs, but can’t find it anymore...
Post #126 here possibly.

Reactions: JTC
OK, so I tried this last night, albeit not for very long as I'd promised to watch some tv with the other half.... anyway, my very subjective impression is that the sound is quite different, with a change in the quality and 'shape' of the bass response. If anything, I didn't feel it reduced bass so much as evened out the in-room response a bit. And, maybe, did I sense a tightening up of the attack of bass drum hits? Difficult to say; I didn't perceive the three-port setup as lacking in any way in the bass, other than there being maybe a touch too much of it. This is with two of the three ports bunged per side. I'll listen again later.

What might be interesting is to see if this enables me to dial back the HF energy a bit; I'd had to increase it in my room to account for soft furnishings and a sense of it still lacking a touch of 'air' with my amp, but mayhap it's a side-effect of having a little too much bass energy in the room. By which I mean, for a given listening level, a greater % of that sound spectrum was bass energy rather than treble energy; blocking those ports clearly reduces the amount of low and mid-bass energy by a few dB, in turn maybe moving the balance between low and high frequency sound 'in room' back towards something more even for that same perceived listening volume.

Anyway, it's very handy that the Ardens are configurable in this way, it opens up a range of 'room tuning' tweaks that can be experimented with to get the best out of them. I may even try all three bungs in, but I have a feeling two may be the happy compromise.

OK, so I tried this last night, albeit not for very long as I'd promised to watch some tv with the other half.... anyway, my very subjective impression is that the sound is quite different, with a change in the quality and 'shape' of the bass response. If anything, I didn't feel it reduced bass so much as evened out the in-room response a bit. And, maybe, did I sense a tightening up of the attack of bass drum hits? Difficult to say; I didn't perceive the three-port setup as lacking in any way in the bass, other than there being maybe a touch too much of it. This is with two of the three ports bunged per side. I'll listen again later.

What might be interesting is to see if this enables me to dial back the HF energy a bit; I'd had to increase it in my room to account for soft furnishings and a sense of it still lacking a touch of 'air' with my amp, but mayhap it's a side-effect of having a little too much bass energy in the room. By which I mean, for a given listening level, a greater % of that sound spectrum was bass energy rather than treble energy; blocking those ports clearly reduces the amount of low and mid-bass energy by a few dB, in turn maybe moving the balance between low and high frequency sound 'in room' back towards something more even for that same perceived listening volume.

Anyway, it's very handy that the Ardens are configurable in this way, it opens up a range of 'room tuning' tweaks that can be experimented with to get the best out of them. I may even try all three bungs in, but I have a feeling two may be the happy compromise.
That certainly mirrors my experience; with three ports bunged all other settings are now back to flat.

Do you feel the need to raise the Arden Legacy's as the centre of the cone is well below ear level if using 'normal' seating?

Do you feel the need to raise the Arden Legacy's as the centre of the cone is well below ear level if using 'normal' seating?
A couple of concrete building blocks under each speaker have raised them to ear level for me. Not strictly necessary but I listen at desk chair height rather than sofa/armchair. Didn’t think it affected sound quality as such just a slight looking down on perspective when they were lower.

A couple of concrete building blocks under each speaker have raised them to ear level for me. Not strictly necessary but I listen at desk chair height rather than sofa/armchair. Didn’t think it affected sound quality as such just a slight looking down on perspective when they were lower.
Ah yes, I see, seems to make sense in your case.

Jtc glad to read your findings. I love those loudspeakers and wish I had an extra massive room somewhere. Unfortunately having just had our 4th we are now more cramped than ever....

Anyway a note on raising the speakers, I agree they do look like ass on stands but, I would strongly recommend investigating some isoacoustics footers. They are fantastic products for 95% of loudspeakers, they look good, and they have the benefit of knocking up the speakers about 2" which helps the tweeter position and doesn't hurt the designed intended acoustics and reactions with room boundaries. They are a whopping upgrade, as good as any cable or power conditioning piece I've ever heard. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you're able to access a set.

I wouldn't be against trying a set but only if someone sent me a set to try. Don't want to spend more right now.

(To be fair, I think I've reached the point where my room is by far the limiting factor. No amount of tweakery will get around the fact that I could do with some bass traps. However, having tried them I struggled to find a suitable place to put them that didn't look awful.)

Jtc glad to read your findings. I love those loudspeakers and wish I had an extra massive room somewhere. Unfortunately having just had our 4th we are now more cramped than ever....

Anyway a note on raising the speakers, I agree they do look like ass on stands but, I would strongly recommend investigating some isoacoustics footers. They are fantastic products for 95% of loudspeakers, they look good, and they have the benefit of knocking up the speakers about 2" which helps the tweeter position and doesn't hurt the designed intended acoustics and reactions with room boundaries. They are a whopping upgrade, as good as any cable or power conditioning piece I've ever heard. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you're able to access a set.
the eatons have a massive sound for their size , could you squeeze some in ?

I wouldn't be against trying a set but only if someone sent me a set to try. Don't want to spend more right now.

(To be fair, I think I've reached the point where my room is by far the limiting factor. No amount of tweakery will get around the fact that I could do with some bass traps. However, having tried them I struggled to find a suitable place to put them that didn't look awful.)
I always wish I had a better handle on the actual science of room correction as opposed to simple experience, but alas, I haven't experimented with either engineering principles or dirac or measurements etc.

That being said, the basics that I work on are;

1) No replacement for solid walls. If you can add whisper clips, extra drywall, or more solid floors (if possible, rather than floating or if floating with thicker subfloor etc,) I find it rarely makes things sound WORSE.

2) Book cases floor to ceiling. For whatever reason, books just do magical things for acoustics in rooms; they diffuse and also add a kind of good balance between absorptive without overdamping.

3) Plants in the corners, helps break up standing waves. The leafier the better.

4) If necessary, traps or wall treatments, but, before simply throwing them up everywhere, doing the above steps first and then, I think the most recent vid I saw which was pretty significant was a guy who put together towels in stacks and sewed them into frames. Seem to do worlds for absorption over some more pricey, specially made designs.

Anyway I would really recommend some isoacoustics products. they are awesome.

Kindly,

Glickman

I don't suppose any kind soul with Ardens would be able to tell me the dimensions of the containing cardboard boxes? :)

advertisement

Back