advertisement

tannoy legacy series

They are crazy money, but I bet they don't really do a lot more than their much cheaper 15" DCs, such as the Arden or some of the smaller Prestige speakers. I haven't heard them, of course, so that's speculation, but for sensible in-room listening I can't imagine needing any more than the Ardens. Which are a bargain in comparison :)

they are indeed a bargain, shame you are not nearer , i would love to hear them
A bargain at their original £5.5k RRP or their current £8.5k RRP? I guess it doesn't matter if you're comparing it to £80k speakers as anything then looks like a bargain! I regret not buying the pair of Legacy Ardens that were being advertised not so long ago for £3k, - sadly I wasn't in a position at that time to make a move on them.

FWIW good deals can be had on the Ardens still. I won’t say exactly how much, but my new pair didn’t cost that much more than the used/demo pair I missed out on. Part of that was exquisite timing/luck on my part, but I am guessing nobody pays full whack for big Tannoys.... mind you, when I bought my ATC100 actives back in the day, I paid just a tad over half the rrp for a brand new pair, so I may be just very lucky at buying big speakers :)

Those ones were sold over a month ago and were the used/demo ones I mentioned above...

A bargain at their original £5.5k RRP or their current £8.5k RRP? I guess it doesn't matter if you're comparing it to £80k speakers as anything then looks like a bargain! I regret not buying the pair of Legacy Ardens that were being advertised not so long ago for £3k, - sadly I wasn't in a position at that time to make a move on them.
I thought Legacy Arden’s were £6.4k RRP before the hike? You could get them cheaper though. Cheviots were £5,200.

They are crazy money, but I bet they don't really do a lot more than their much cheaper 15" DCs, such as the Arden or some of the smaller Prestige speakers. I haven't heard them, of course, so that's speculation, but for sensible in-room listening I can't imagine needing any more than the Ardens. Which are a bargain in comparison :)

I heard the Kingdom's at AE in Leven about 6 months ago. They really were quite spectacular and while I appreciate your hope that they "don't do much more than the cheaper 15" DC's" I'm afraid you are quite wrong.
Effortless room expanding scale and impact combined with great delicacy. One of the top 3 or 4 speakers I've heard and of those, at 36k, the cheapest. Only downside is they need a rather large room.

PS.. some folk heard them at a show AE attended, and said they were too bright. I can only assume they had the bad room typical of most hifi shows.

Maybe so but I’m still skeptical... they might do enormous scale but I would think at normal listening levels in ordinary sized rooms the common-or-garden 15” DCs will scale more than enough. Though I may be along in Leven as soon as lockdown is eased as I might drop my amp off for a service and do a demo of these speakers anyway...

So, a brief update three weeks in. I love the Legacy Ardens. They are great fun, capable of proper slam, deeeeeep bass on the one hand, but also delicacy and exquisite tone and texture on the other. Yes, they look a bit ridiculous, and perhaps Tannoy could have finished off the rear of the speakers in the same teak veneer, but overall.... great.

In the meantime, I had a few ups and downs with my amp, most of which are now resolved, although there is still a tiny amount of hum which is slightly greater in the right channel. At 1m distance, it measures about 36dB on one side (using my phone), which is audible only when there is no other background noise. Not a big deal, really, but a slight nuisance just knowing that it’s there.

Big revelations have been Genalex Gold Lion KT77s to replace EH EL34s (big upgrade) and, just yesterday, a pair of what seem to be brand new 1963 4-notch Mullard GZ34s courtesy of another Fisher. These do something to the sound that’s quite difficult to explain, but it’s a good thing, and the previous modern GZ34s are nestling back in their boxes now.

So, I’d love to make the EE amp 100% silent, but I figure I may be chasing something that I cannot catch. In room, I am getting the best sound I have ever heard in my room, and I’ll posit the best I’ve heard in any domestic hifi. Sure, my Stax slightly out-resolve the Tannoys, but there’s a terrific rightness about the sound which is addictive. Will I keep the speakers? Well, I broke the boxes down to put them in the attic and I’ll be filling out the guarantee card, so that’s a yes. Will I change the amp? Possibly sometime, but I’m in no hurry - that last 5% of sound quality will cost me a lot to achieve, and this is so close to perfect. If I have two observations to make, it’s that of course the Ardens do excite the room nodes a bit (but not as much as the ATC100s did; in fact, surprisingly benign), and that I need to increase the energy to +1.5dB to overcome the carpet and sofas in my room - flat just sounds too rolled-off in my room. In fact, +3.0dB is tempting....

TL;DR? Exquisite speakers, love them :)

No, I haven’t actually. But the hum is only really presenting in one channel, and it’s nowhere near as bad as (say) the hum from a NAP250 that I’ve experienced in the past....

ah well , hope you get it sorted , i know SS amps are probably not the same flavour but i am thankful i get no hum whatsoever as it drives me stark raving bonkers

advertisement

Back