advertisement

Tannoy HPD's Cable and Crossover Upgrade

Jon

pfm Member
Hi

I was wondering if anyone had tried Lockwood's advertised HPD upgrade or similar and if so what they thought of it?

Below from their website (I understand it is approximately £100)

Exclusive upgrade crossover for HPD385: high-grade components and cabling, hard-wired ,bi-wired, no controls.

Regards

Not HPD's and not Lockwood's upgrades , but I have redone the crossovers and cable on my MG's .

The crossover's are now hard wired on a board with polyprop caps , NI resistors and a foil inductor ( low pass ) and the treble switches have been removed . The cable was swapped with the same three core flex but 2.5mm2 thick instead of the original 1.5mm2 .

It's worth doing , more definition throughout the range without loosing the Tannoy sound

However not all the changes brought big improvements , some of the improvements are quite subtle and might be regarded as not worthwhile .

The change to polyrop caps brought the biggest improvement , and one I can highly recommend . I used Clarity Caps a reasonable middle of the road cap but there's plenty to choose from .

Another worth while component change was swapping resistors for non inductive types .

Then we get into " grey area " changes , bypassing switches , inductors and cabling all brought very subtle changes but nowhere near the improvement of the caps and resistor changes .

Here's a pic , before I fitted the foil inductor on the low pass side .

pics007-2.jpg

advertisement

Back