advertisement

tannoy experts

say it as it is

pfm Member
ok calling on the experts for tannoy DC

I don't have the means for the silly prices the classic stuff reaches and i know with tannoy size is everything.

the only dc i ever owned was DC6T modern 6 inch dc with additional 6 inch driver. was ok if not great in my room could become boomy.

i have enjoyed some older 8 inch driver speakers various makes not dc.

looking back it seems they made various 8 inch dc units for what are now considered cheap or budget with compromised cabinets or crossovers.

so are dc units 2025GG any good as fitted to dc1000, 2000, 3000 etc would they benefit from better crossover and a better cabinet or are they just meh compared to the classic stuff?

only other stuff i have seen at semi afforable prices are pa type drivers 3142 DC, these any good in a better cabinet and do they need a different crossover for hifi use?

I suspect the classic effortless bass is unique to the classic mega money drivers?

Don't discount HPDs, they're not nearly as collectable as Monitor Golds and Reds, but Tannoy made some great HPD speakers. My Mansfields with 15" HPDs are awesome, and I don't miss my 15" Lancaster Monitor Golds. And the pro gear always used to be quite affordable. Look for System 10s and the like, fantastic speakers and much cheaper than the domestic range.

only other stuff i have seen at semi afforable prices are pa type drivers 3142 DC, these any good in a better cabinet and do they need a different crossover for hifi use?

I can’t remember the model number but Richard (@lordsummit) has a pair of the 8” PA Tannoys he bought from Frank (@cooky1257) and they are very good IMO. You’d never know they were a PA speaker and are nice and coherent and surprisingly good tonally (Richard is a proper classical muso so a good ear here). As such I’d certainly not overlook the PA stuff as a source of drivers.

As above the V8/i8 pro cabs are excellent-they don't plumb the depths bass wise but there is something very 'right' about them-tulip waveguide titanium diaphragm HF with a cellulose mix LF cone, you could look at any of the Saturn range-the 8 inch and the 10 inch drivers turned up in the System 8/10 studio monitors(though with more robust driver baskets) again tulip waveguide Aluminium HFdiaphragms and polypropylene LF. The crossovers tend to be quite simple affairs so other than maybe replacing caps I'd leave alone. The 1000's range used a less refined bullet HF waveguide-they're ok but I'd go for the tulips(tech as used in the Legacy range). There are bargains to be had.

As above the V8/i8 pro cabs are excellent-they don't plumb the depths bass wise but there is something very 'right' about them-tulip waveguide titanium diaphragm HF with a cellulose mix LF cone, you could look at any of the Saturn range-the 8 inch and the 10 inch drivers turned up in the System 8/10 studio monitors(though with more robust driver baskets) again tulip waveguide Aluminium HFdiaphragms and polypropylene LF. The crossovers tend to be quite simple affairs so other than maybe replacing caps I'd leave alone. The 1000's range used a less refined bullet HF waveguide-they're ok but I'd go for the tulips(tech as used in the Legacy range). There are bargains to be had.
What are your thoughts on the System 600, Frank? I had a pair that I regret selling on cheaply (£150 FFS! :rolleyes:). I thought they were excellent for the size and money, sounding much bigger than they ought to have, and seemed as though they'd have been able to cope with a ridiculous amount of punishment. My only criticism was a lack of transparency, like I was listening to a plastic cone that was too heavy to resolve fine detail. I also thought the tulip HF was a bit too polite in the top couple of octaves, which is an observation I never thought I'd make about a Tannoy! Thinking back I wonder if the ferrofluid needed a refresh? (I'm not even sure if the System models used ferrofluid?)

Thanks all sadly very few turn up at reasonable prices. Anything tannoy and DC over 8 inches people think worth a fortune hence seen single i12 driver going for over£400!

I can’t remember the model number but Richard (@lordsummit) has a pair of the 8” PA Tannoys he bought from Frank (@cooky1257) and they are very good IMO. You’d never know they were a PA speaker and are nice and coherent and surprisingly good tonally (Richard is a proper classical muso so a good ear here). As such I’d certainly not overlook the PA stuff as a source of drivers.

Frank has said it already, but they’re great speakers, very accurate and image beautifully. They really disappear when fed with a good source. I’d love a little more bass, but it doesn’t always play well in my room. I’m tempted one day to build them some nice cabinets, I’m interested to see what the speakers would sound like with a box that is actually big enough for the driver.

What are your thoughts on the System 600, Frank? I had a pair that I regret selling on cheaply (£150 FFS! :rolleyes:). I thought they were excellent for the size and money, sounding much bigger than they ought to have, and seemed as though they'd have been able to cope with a ridiculous amount of punishment. My only criticism was a lack of transparency, like I was listening to a plastic cone that was too heavy to resolve fine detail. I also thought the tulip HF was a bit too polite in the top couple of octaves, which is an observation I never thought I'd make about a Tannoy! Thinking back I wonder if the ferrofluid needed a refresh? (I'm not even sure if the System models used ferrofluid?)
All the pro ones use ferrofluid, I've not heard any 600's so can't comment sorry.
Forgot to answer the 3142 question; They are excellent and use the Tulip HF from the Legacy and System 12/15 studio monitors but you wont get any bass below 60/70 hz, they are designed to run with subs or some active eq to lift the bass a bit. Put them in 60L enclosures, tweak the xover to tame the hot HF and run with a sub, they will blow you away.

Last edited:
Ah ok was really looking for that effortless bass the classic stuff can do so even putting say 3142 units in a 60 ltr cab is not going to fix this?

The wild cat series is also good they say, with 12-15" SGM drivers.
Visually very similar, but not the same drivers. Also, having owned some LRM's I wouldn't say 'effortless bass' was one of their characteristics. Mind you I do remember chatting to some guy who was adamant that a pair of 12" Wildcats (Lynx maybe) he'd picked up sounded as good as his Cheviots. I never heard them though, and that was back in the early noughties when you could buy well used Lynx, Puma et al really cheaply.

I had i12's briefly(3142), I strongly suspect as well as too small cabinet, the crossovers are designed to cut low bass to allow for better high power handling. The system is used with sub and controller.

It'd be interesting to hear them with a Gold cross-over and bigger cabinet?

The 3142 does not have a hi-pass filter, the driver T&S parameters dictate their limited LF response-they have a Fs of 64 hz, a VAS of 32L and the stiffest suspension I've ever come across.
The Wildcats all have high Fs and at best will be lean sounding at LF.

advertisement

Back