advertisement

Tannoy Edinburgh HE Speakers

paul44000

Unfortunately one of my dual concentrics has packed up and it seems to be impossible at the moment to get it fixed as following the takeover of Tannoy by Music and the closing of their Coatbridge plant all their spares seem to have gone AWOL, even Lockwood Audio can't seem to locate any. However while looking at ToTo Man's thread about converting his Edinburghs to Monitor golds it reminded me I had some Little Gold Monitors stored in the loft. The problem is that Tannoy are very bad at a) specifying which drive model is in which speaker and b) actually labelling the driver with its model number. Various sites suggest LGM's have 3149R drivers, a few suggest 3148K.
ToTo Man's Edinburgh had 3149Rs too - but mine are the later model, the HE, which have the alterable energy control and roll off switches.
So my question is does anyone know which speaker I will find in a LGM, and were the later Edinburghs (mine was one of the last made in 2005) still fitted with 3149Rs ? If they are the same I can simply pull one out and put it in my Edinburgh until such time as Tannoy sort themselves out.

The 3148 and3149 are the same driver but the pepper pot is gold on the 9 , certainly the later ones fitted to LGM were, the 8 was used for kits (K) , 9 for drivers fitted in cabs.
Either way the drivers in your LGMs were definitely used in the original Edinburgh’s ( same cab as yours) but the crossover may well have been different by the the time of your HE version which I believe has a slightly different driver to the 3148/9 . It’ll still work and be worth trying but the bass may be a little lighter than you’re used to☹️

Just checked and it’s a3146 in your HEs - different driver with ( I think) tulip tweeter not pepper pot. Be interesting to hear how different the Lgm drivers sound.

Hauled the LGM out and had a look at them.
Yes, definitely completely different HF section - one 100mm dome and the other 40mm tulip
Well I will post pictures of them both when I have worked out how to.
Not sure whether I would need to migrate the crossovers too given how different they look.
Or maybe their electrical/acoustic properties are very similar despite appearances

(Years ago) I swapped out the 3128 drivers from my 'Bradley' to replace their failing foam surrounds and put the 3149's from my Little Reds in, and although the difference was clearly audible they certainly worked fine with the Bradley crossovers and still sounded very good. Just 'different' good :).

When you say 'packed up' what do you mean exactly?
The crossovers are not interchangeable so your swap must include the crossovers too.

By packed up I mean the LF coil has gone open circuit, necessitating (so I thought) a recone. However I have just discovered a small firm who tell me they can simply remove the old coil and wind a new one.

........... However I have just discovered a small firm who tell me they can simply remove the old coil and wind a new one.

Really?

Tell us all more, there would be lots here glad to learn about that small firm.
Alternatively, have a search here on PFM for at least two threads about voicecoil replacements/repair.

advertisement

Back