advertisement

Tannoy Drivers

slammed56

pfm Member
Anyone any idea what the going rate is for a pair of 15” HPDs ?

Ive been offered a pair of speakers that I’ve been wanting for a long time but these have the HPDs fitted rather than the more common Monitor Golds

these have the HPDs fitted rather than the more common Monitor Golds

Is that so? Golds more common than HPDs? Sounds unlikely, but what do I know?
HPDs are "better suited" to a modern system anyway, so which is a "better" fit to you system will depend to some extent on what that system is.

Use HiFi Shark, but there will be lots to consider - driver condition, X-overs fitted, what cabinets and what condition they are in. Plenty of drivers get sold sans cabinets.

HPDs are gold by the way, with sort of greyish fawn covers over the magnets.

Cream of the crop -

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tannoy-mansfields-with-15-hpd-385s.244818/

It's very difficult to say, Stuart, as it depends on a lot of variables such as:

- mechanical condition of the drivers, e.g. do they need to be refoamed and, if they have already been refoamed, has it been done correctly?

- operational condition of the drivers, i.e. how well matched are their frequency responses? (This will be very difficult to ascertain if you can't demo them before purchase, or buy them from a seller who is able/willing to measure them such as @cooky1257 or myself :)).

- do they come with their correct crossovers and are these in good working order?

- what's the design and cosmetic condition of the enclosures?

Thanks Vinny and Richard
The cabs are Teak finish 78’ Lockwood Majors in what looks like very good condition for there age , although I’ve only seen a few pics to confirm this at the moment
There loaded with HPD 15” drivers , I’ve only ever seen these Lockwoods with Golds and Reds in the past but that’s probably more to do with the age of these being a later production model as I’ve just been informed tonight
I’ve requested more pics of the drivers to visually confirm there condition (if that’s possible) I’ve also seen the receipts from Lockwood including One for the original sale to the studio , 2 new foam surrounds fitted 6 years ago and one for a single re-cone being done earlier this year
They come with the original crossovers but again if there fully working within spec I’m unsure at present
Trying not to let my heart rule my head on this one as I’ve been looking for this model for a very long time !!

So the real question is what's the going rate for a pair of Lockwood Majors fitted with 15" HPDs?..anything between £2-4K.

Thanks Cooky1257 , I was just curious to know what the value of this type of driver goes for these days if in good working condition

There is receipts from Lockwood for (2 off) replace surrounds on HPD 385 Drivers , done in 2014 at a cost of £214
Another receipt for a single driver reconed earlier this year at a cost of £258

Hopefully I’ll get some more info today

After many many pics and phone calls to the owner I’m happy to say I’ve taken the plunge and their on there way
Both HPDs have now been checked over and ReConed by Lockwood
Crossovers seem to be in original untouched condition
The cabinets are pretty immaculate with only a very small bit of veneer missing at the rear
There’s a small rip on the Cloth of one of the Speakers so I’ll see if my upholsterer friend can repair that
All in all I can’t wait to give them a whirl but before I do I’ll need to figure out what the speaker connection is as I’ve not seen one like this before .....can anyone tell me what originally came on the Lockwood Major , looks like a XLR in the pics but I’m unsure

advertisement

Back