advertisement

Tannoy DC4 and Revolver Music 1 question

greg788

pfm Member
Has anyone heard these? Thoughts?

For various reasons (small size, cost, valve friendliness), these are on my shortlist but I can't listen to either beforehand ...

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers (Spendor S3/5R) to something similar in size / bass extension but more valve friendly (or friendly with a Sonneteer Campion or Alabaster for that matter, haven't decided yet)

Greg,

I'm a big fan of Tannoys, but I think their best speakers are the big honkin' ones.

Are used DMT-12s or 15s out of the question? They're fine with either valves or solid state, they shift air properly and are reasonably priced if bought used. The only thing they aren't is small.

Joe

Greg,

I'm a big fan of Tannoys, but I think their best speakers are the big honkin' ones.

Are used DMT-12s or 15s out of the question? They're fine with either valves or solid state, they shift air properly and are reasonably priced if bought used. The only thing they aren't is small.

Joe

Joe, the speakers definitely have to be small (i.e., bass limited), unfortunately. Otherwise I'd be looking at big Tannoys, Spendor Classics, etc.

Greg,

Pesky neighbours?

Joe

No, unfortunately my room layout is prohibitive. The speakers must be close to the front wall and my listening position must be right against rear wall. The net affect is a sum of two (1L?) bass nodes. I've already learned from experience that anything with appreciable output below, say, 60 Hz is a recipe for excessive bass. It's the way the room was built originally and there are no ways around it, really. I actually went to a headphone system for a year or two after buying this house for that reason

Greg,

I wonder if the DC4s go too far the other way — with a 4-inch driver they'll be so bass shy you'll wish you had more bass, despite the room nodes reinforcing LF energy.

Joe

Greg,

I wonder if the DC4s go too far the other way — with a 4-inch driver they'll be so bass shy you'll wish you had more bass, despite the room nodes reinforcing LF energy.

Joe

The Spendor S3/5R are similar, even more bass shy, in all likelihood. They have decent bass for this room.

The problem with the Spendors is their insensitivity. They seem kind of dead driven by a Rega Brio-R. You have to turn them up a fair amount. I suspect both the Revolver and Tannoy with be much livelier

I had a pair of tannoy DC4 with an a-s700, they are not bass shy imho :) in my room positioned near the two corners, I could up the volume and get brilliant, clear bass levels with my more 'dancy/bassy' tracks, not boomy at all. I am not a bass lover though (neighbours), so what i consider great you may not. Still, they are good speakers which is possibly why what hifi moved them up from 4 to 5 stars and their price thusly increased by £100 :)

Rega RS1's, valve friendly and lively. The Spendors and Regas are probably the more forgiving of amplifiers in terms of small speakers. And the more forgiving of room placment.
What about the smaller Audionote speakers, AX-1 and AX-2?
http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_speakers1.html

What you need are some Keesonic Kolts, extremely rare, but a small sealed box that are lively and open, and 'need' to be placed up against the rear walls. Very easy to drive as well.

Cannot comment on the Tannoy speakers you mention, but I love the little Revolver speakers.

Heard them via Densen cdp and amp and thought they were terrific also a Rega rig sounded great.

Richard

advertisement

Back