advertisement

Tannoy crossover service/modding

matt j

pfm Member
Is there anyone with a good rep that does it? and are the benefits worthwhile?

Rough cost would be handy too.

Cheers.

DC crossovers? General opinion when I looked into it was there is not much point. Good quality compoents, no electrolytics to dry out and the level controls are designed in such a way as not to degrade the sound (within reason presumably)

Lockwood suggested getting rid of the plugs on the speaker chassis and hardwiring the cable but that was about all.

One big improvement however is to remove thm from the cabs, a good move in my case. I am hoping to offer a case to house the crossovers at some point this year.

HTH, Paul.

Yes, Chatworths - 12" HPD Golds.

So no real benefits then?

I only perused the Tannoy websites but that is the impression I got. Removing them from the cabinets however is most definatly worth trying. My speakers are/were Devons, 12" HPD in a rather flimsy particle board cab, I have also replaced the cabinet. This summer when we re-do the sitting room I am going to build some 150 ltr "cabinets" into the alcoves either side of the fire place

Paul, are there any electrolytic caps in the original Monitor Golds?

Tony.

Not sure to be honest Tony as I was concentrating on HPD drivers. From memory I am certain that the crossovers are interchangable though.....people have upgraded from HPD's to Golds, Reds whatever and kept the HPD crossover. Lost thee link when the laptop died, I think it was a Yahoo Tanoy site. Helpfull with most common questions already asked and answered.

Paul,

What sort of replacement cabs have you been playing with?

J

Got a rather nice billet alloy cabinet at the momment, wayyyy to expensive to consider making but I am hoping to get a website up later this year offering various engineering services....some custom motorcycle bits, one off cases for hifi use and other bits and bobs....stuff that bigger firms cant be bothered with unless you want a couple of thousand making. I will post a photo when I have sorted a trade account with Tony.....days are too short at the momment!

To be quite honnest I would imagine a wooden box would be best for crossovers as there are no safety issues with mains etc. I only made the alloy one for a show piece....it probably ended up costing me more than the drivers!!

Paul, are there any electrolytic caps in the original Monitor Golds?

Tony.
I think there are, here's a picture of the crossover from the Monitor Gold found in this link.

MG_crossover_2.jpg

advertisement

Back