advertisement

Tannoy amp recommendations?

mattski

pfm Member
Hi,

I've got a pair of Tannoy Precision 6.1 on the way for a second system and wondered what amp you'd recommend?

Ideally it'd be compact so maybe a Rega; or a Roksan or NAD thing?. A DAC isn't a must as I've got a number of options there.

Thanks,
Matt

Indeed... upto about 500-600 I suppose; maybe a touch more depending on what it is. Second hand is fine too.

I was v.tempted to get a used Tucana II but they're (a) expensive, (b) it'd be overkill for a second system, and (c) I had mains hum issues with two brand new ones a while back so it'd be a bit of a risk.

Hi Matt,

I've always been a firm believer of providing enough dynamic headroom when choosing an amp for a given set of speakers. I also went through a very similar process a couple of weeks back.

What triggered this was a visit to a dealer who had a very dinky little setup that appealed due the then current space-constraints in the study (then filled with a Denon DM31 micro-component system plus a pair of Tannoy MX2 speakers).

The dinky little setup comprised a pair of Sonus Faber Chameleon bookshelf speakers driven by PS Audio's new "Sprout" ( an integrated amp about the size of a large-format trade paperback novel). The sound produced in the demo was an order of magnitude better than the Denon/MX2 combo and the size appealed.

Next step was to investigate options with similar parameters of size and budget.

The common finding within these parameters was that none of "compact" amps offered much more than 30 wpc into an 8 ohm load (the same as the Denon).

Next step was to question the size requirement by examining the current space utilisation and see if, by changing the storage structure, it would not be possible to avoid having to buy a new and dinky amp.

By redesigning the storage, the component size constraints went away, and I was able to broaden the search to include used gear from classifieds.

Now, in the same space as used before, I have full-sized components for CDP and integrated amp plus a very listenable pair of bookshelf speakers (Chario).

The total cost for the "pre-owned" CDP, Amp and speakers was about what it would have cost to buy the demo system new (SF Chameleons & Sprout) - with no source component!.

The integrated amp selected is a 100wpc integrated from Electrocompaniet which has an overspec'ed power supply and 2 x balanced inputs and also has a decent damping factor to add to its drive capability. From its heat ouput, I'd guess that, although its a Class A/B design, it is probably biased more toward Class A operation.

The Chario speakers (Syntar 516) are similar in size and frequency response to your Tannoys but are a nominal 4ohm load vs the 8ohm spec for the Tannoys. Sensitivity levels are much of a muchness (89 vs 88 dB).

I've had this system running with the Bryston BCD-1 player for about 4 days and have fed a variety of CDs through it - from Beethoven, to Bach, to Copland, to that infamous Telarc "1812" as well as a variety of rock, jazz and new age and the amp/speaker pairing works exceptionally well across all genres and at some high levels too.

More info at: Post here on Study System and Rack

Be careful when opting for any dinky size as it can imply "dinky performance" and not do those Tannoys justice...

Heard them with LAVARDIN and REGA ELICIT, but admittedly not at the same time.

Liked them both and having the added headroom will help....but I cannot provide a face-to-face shoot-out winner.

I have TANNOYs in my B-system.... The one thing that I strongly suggest to NOT do is try to scrimp and try to cheat with a cheap integrated amp as a stablemate to the speakers. You will quickly regret that move... Full stop.

TAKEAWAY: IMO the TANNOYS will perform nicely with many other brand contenders in the same price range as the two models above.

Thanks for all of the advice on this guys and apologies for not following up sooner. Bit of a change of plan so they'll be for sale :)

advertisement

Back