advertisement

Tannoy 12" red monitors in DIY cabs

beathunters

Tamalpais high-at about3
It's been a while since i've been so focused on audio and quite excited about it.
LSU/HF12 Ls are expected here very soon. They are mid-sixties series in great shape. I'll post pics and hear about them ASAP.

I considered many options to enjoy them : go the vintage route and try to find Canterbury corners cabs - i'd love that but it's not financially possible right now. Have perfect copies built by craftsmen : a more realistic possibility i havent discarded yet.
Except that, as beautiful as the sixties cabs look - and sound, in the case of the Canterbury corners - some opinions indicate that these great drivers can sound even better in other enclosures.
Maybe some of you covered Volker's state of the art experience at truefi.blogspot.com. It's impressive, beautiful and out of my world.
Another option was the Chatsworth cabs, actually worked around for upgrades by Volker, too. Usually sold with Gold Monitors. Have a pretty rare corner version. hard to come by outside UK and now calling for ridiculous Brexit VAT/customs/transportation...

Then I've been thinking about some advice shared here by Richard C., whom i found out left the forum a few years ago while i was estranged from anything audio... I loved his views about music and audio, his Tannoy experience and writing style. Actually, if anybody has current contact info about him, i'd be delighted to get in touch again with him. So, chatting with him about Tannoy one day, he advised a few interesting upgrades : a bigger enclosure, thicker/stiffer panels, front mounting of the driver and sealed back cab.

Still undecided about my corners options, i started looking around locally for empty cabs to enjoy the Ts when they arrive.
Two years ago, looking for a big enclosure for a great Altec 604D I dedicated to a mono system, I had the good fortune to find a very well-made York Corner copy from the 70s, perfect for the job.
This time I was lucky enough to get custom carpenter cabs of bigger but same proportions of the Chatsworth's, built with double 20 mm plywood, in which i intend to apply Richard's advices.

I'll have plenty of questions to achieve this properly,with your help - starting with damping (cabs are naked).
cheerio

Last edited:

advertisement

Back