advertisement

Tangerine Dream touring

Paul Mc

pfm Member
I saw the latest version of Tangerine Dream last night in MCR. It was a real great night of electronic music to a sold out audience at the RNCM. I'm struggling to name an electronic band out there are the moment delivering such high quality music.

I stopped seeing them live many moons ago but "Raum" has seen them go back to a more 'electronic' / rhythmic style. Depending on what heir next release is like, I may catch them next time.

Last edited:
I like the way they have approached the ‘legacy band’ thing in that effectively the name has been handed over to Ulrich Schnauss and some others and really the band has nothing whatsoever to do with TD of old. I watched a gig on YouTube a couple of years ago and it sounded like an Ulrich Schnauss album to me. I have no issue with that at all! It is a really interesting way of doing it. I suspect we’ll see a 100% Kraftwerk-free Kraftwerk very soon, though that will inevitably be far more corporate and regimented, just a ‘greatest hits machine’ (they really should do it with robots). The thing that is good about the new TD is they are their own thing doing their own new material. I can’t see other big-ticket bands doing that. They’ll effectively morph into tribute acts.

PS I’d actually bought a ticket for the RNCM gig over two years ago, but it was obviously cancelled and refunded due to covid. I’m just not ready to start doing gigs again so I’m letting a lot of things pass at present.

I saw the latest version of Tangerine Dream last night in MCR. It was a real great night of electronic music to a sold out audience at the RNCM. I'm struggling to name an electronic band out there are the moment delivering such high quality music.
I'm hopefully going to see them at the Roundhouse in a couple of weeks.
Judging by the setlist it doesn't look as though they're particularly promoting the new album or the one before (Quantum Gate)?

The thing that is good about the new TD is they are their own thing doing their own new material.

Sort of. "Raum" still uses Edgar's Cubase files, so they're using his material albeit taking it in a new direction.

Enjoy:

Last edited:
Only saw TD once, way back in November 1980. They played behind a big white net curtain and I didn’t recognise any of the music despite owning quite a few of their albums back then.

I like the way they have approached the ‘legacy band’ thing in that effectively the name has been handed over to Ulrich Schnauss and some others and really the band has nothing whatsoever to do with TD of old. I watched a gig on YouTube a couple of years ago and it sounded like an Ulrich Schnauss album to me. I have no issue with that at all! It is a really interesting way of doing it. I suspect we’ll see a 100% Kraftwerk-free Kraftwerk very soon, though that will inevitably be far more corporate and regimented, just a ‘greatest hits machine’ (they really should do it with robots). The thing that is good about the new TD is they are their own thing doing their own new material. I can’t see other big-ticket bands doing that. They’ll effectively morph into tribute acts.

PS I’d actually bought a ticket for the RNCM gig over two years ago, but it was obviously cancelled and refunded due to covid. I’m just not ready to start doing gigs again so I’m letting a lot of things pass at present.

Not quite the story Tony. The band is led by Thorsten Quaesching who joined Edgar and co in around 2010. Schnauss left last year I think. The post-Froese line ups have used Froese's recordings at a source to produce new music, with his widow's blessing. Froese also saw TQ as his heir I believe. As an aside this arrangement has caused a lot a pain for Edgar's son Jerome, who was a TD member in the 80s and 90s.

I think where you are right is that this certainly isn't a tribute act. I think most fans of electronic music would have a great time, not least for the 30 minute improvised encore.

I'm hopefully going to see them at the Roundhouse in a couple of weeks.
Judging by the setlist it doesn't look as though they're particularly promoting the new album or the one before (Quantum Gate)?

Quite a bit from the new album: 30 minutes or so.

Quite a bit from the new album: 30 minutes or so.
Yes - when I made that post the setlist was incomplete - it looks like there's something for everyone in there which is great news.
I'm a huge Marillion fan and have just stumbled on the news that Steve Rothery will be joining them on stage in London on the 18th.
I'd be interested to hear your opinion of his contribution at MCR.

Yes - when I made that post the setlist was incomplete - it looks like there's something for everyone in there which is great news.
I'm a huge Marillion fan and have just stumbled on the news that Steve Rothery will be joining them on stage in London on the 18th.
I'd be interested to hear your opinion of his contribution at MCR.

He played on two tracks at the end of the main set, and took part in the improv encore. What did I think? He did very well and much better than hanging around in Marillion IMHO. (I actually bought a ticket to see Marillion recently, out of curiosity, and managed about 30 minutes before I had to leave. The lead singer's am dram was too much for me, although I do like the **** album, which is why I went.). I do like Rothery's Gilmour/Latimer tone, as did Froese, so it worked well and was a nice counterpoint to the electronics. I thought he was a brave soul. Considering the role TD have played in electronic music and the freshness of their current line up it was a disappointment the so few young people attended.

They are missing the real masters of the art.

We caught the post-Froese lineup at the Union Chapel several years ago. It was very good, and harked back somewhat to the TD era I like the most - the early Virgin years. I’ve seen the band a fair few times over the years, several times in the ‘seventies with my favourite lineup of Froese, Franke & Baumann.
I drifted away in the ‘eighties as they introduced guitar and drums more, but managed to catch the ‘Zeitgeist’ gig at the RAH before Edgar finally left us.
Raum is indeed worth a listen, as is Quantum Gate.

Mick

Happy for recommendations.

Just follow a lot of my posts in the "now playing" thread. :)

Start with Arc, Airsculpture, Schonwalder and Rothe (or anything on Manikin) or Emmens and Heij.

If you prefer it to be like classic TD then Redshift, Free System Projekt, Brendan Pollard or Cosmic Ground.

Not quite the story Tony. The band is led by Thorsten Quaesching who joined Edgar and co in around 2010. Schnauss left last year I think. The post-Froese line ups have used Froese's recordings at a source to produce new music, with his widow's blessing. Froese also saw TQ as his heir I believe. As an aside this arrangement has caused a lot a pain for Edgar's son Jerome, who was a TD member in the 80s and 90s.

I think where you are right is that this certainly isn't a tribute act. I think most fans of electronic music would have a great time, not least for the 30 minute improvised encore.

Quaesching's first album was 2006, so he's been around for a long time.

Not for me, Seeker. There's 1000s of similar electronic artists. Either go with the classics or the new English scene if modern.

advertisement

Back