advertisement

Tangerine Dream Sessions

Also try some Ulrich Schnauss. This is one of my favourite electronica albums of this century by far, really wonderful stuff. It becomes clear exactly what he brought to Tangerine Dream. The current expanded triple vinyl is just stunning (Amazon), a truly amazing sounding record.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ordered via your link. I’m Qobuzzing it now and find it rather nondescript, doesn’t really go anywhere in the way that TD do. Perhaps the vinyl will help.

Last edited:
I really like it and for me it is the best of his albums, though many rate the next on A Strangely Isolated Place as the high watermark:

It has a more ‘shoegaze’ feel too it and could almost be late-period Cocteau Twins in parts. Another beautiful album. For me he never reached either of these peaks again and a lot of the later stuff just feels very formulaic/generic. I have to admit I felt this when watching a couple of Schnauss period TD videos a couple of years back. It’s really nice stuff, but given my record collection I’d prefer to pull out Phaedra, Rubycon or the two Schnauss albums I link to here.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Another one for the collection is the album from Edgar Froese concert from 2019 with Roedelius with TD's Quaeschning and Yamane. It's a little less rhythmic than TDs stuff from the same time - mostly that's down to Roedelius' contribution.

Some other interesting stuff is coming from other ex Dreamers, though:

Loom (Jerome Froese, Johannes Schmoelling, Rob Waters)

SAW (Johannes Schmoelling, Kurt Ader, Rob Waters)

Neuland (Peter Baumann, Paul Haslinger)

But for the lovers of 70s TD, there are a lot of choices out there.

There's an interesting thing. You say "early TD", I immediately think pre-"Phaedra" :) and unless Matt and Graham have changed the formula, they're firmly in 80s TD territory.

You are absolutely correct re the 'Early' thing. Early for me was the first stuff I heard such as Phaedra and Rubycon. Pre Early lol then would be Atem etc which took me a while to notice.
I gave up on TD after seeing them in the 80's around Le Parc time (Hammersmith Odeon I believe). Yes I get you with the 80's Perge stuff but I'm listening to Catharsis and Aural Coefficients Within A Fractal Plane which to me sound very Encore and late 70's.

Thanks Seeker. Enjoying various Thorsten Quaeschning sessions. Qobuz thinks the Munich session is Rap/Hip-Hop.

You are absolutely correct re the 'Early' thing. Early for me was the first stuff I heard such as Phaedra and Rubycon. Pre Early lol then would be Atem etc which took me a while to notice.
I gave up on TD after seeing them in the 80's around Le Parc time (Hammersmith Odeon I believe). Yes I get you with the 80's Perge stuff but I'm listening to Catharsis and Aural Coefficients Within A Fractal Plane which to me sound very Encore and late 70's.

I only listened to a couple of their releases, so I'll check them out.

Avoid the Matt Stringer solo release ("Changing Landscapes") - it's not very good.

advertisement

Back