advertisement

Tame bright speakers

nbaptista

pfm Member
My Epos M15 are a bit bright. Here is the problem: with the Rega Cd player/amplifier the sound turns brightThe qed XT speaker cable doesn´t help, because is detailed and forwardThe Supra 4.0 fixed the bright issue, but the sound lose resolution and definition. So what can I do? Change the speakers seems to me the way to go
BTW, the room may have sound issues,because is small,maybe heve echoes, I don´t know , I can´t install the system in another room.

Have you tried room correction of any sort..?
I have a small square room which sounds awful - the same stereo in my old room sounded wonderful, in the new room it was unlistenable.
I got a lyngdorf 1120 amp/streamer/dac which has room correction and covered almost all the cost by selling off my old amp and dac.
The sound is now wonderful, nothing missing which can be a claim made against some other types of room correction. Tom at Cinehome was very helpful getting me sorted, and I'd be happy to recommend him if you want to look into this.
https://www.cinehome.co.uk/shop/product-types/integrated-amplifiers/

I don’t have a solution for you: I’ve been looking for a bright (that is lifelike) sound all my life. CD was a blessing to tell the truth.
Try a bit of cloth in front of tweeters. As daft as that.

They are bi-wired, so putting a 1 Ohm 1W wirewound in series with the tweeter will tame things.
Epos tend to run the woofer into breakup with a simple crossover, so some harshness may remain

Try Van Den Hul First Ultimate interconnects … first class sound reproduction and tame any brightness ir digital glare.

They are something if a tone control but can elevate overly bright systems to another level.

Can be had fir around £100 second hand but well worth a try.

Have you tried riding them round the living room until they give up?
Yes, I have been doing this, but the space is not much. I need to organize the space better, to remove a shelf with books to other room, in order to get a better speaker placement.

Seriously though, resolution and definition are usually enhanced by brightness. So not surprised that you lose some.
Tuning your system is always a compromise. Often the thing that bothers us is in the recording not inherent in the system. Trying to solve for brightness in a harsh recording will almost inevitably lead to good recordings sounding a bit dull.

If you think the room is bright, try clapping your hands and listen for reverberations.
If there is then add some soft furnishings. Maybe a rug and some cushions.

Another no expense option to determine if it's a room acoustic reflection problem is to try opening the windows and doors to the room.

Fairly recently I got a Dspeaker Antimode 2 - this will equalise the room up to 500hz, no not your problem I know, but you will notice and appreciate your room modes being sorted out and the system being flat. This is done with a calibrating microphone. There is also the option to cut or boost treble, around user defined frequencies, very subtly, and this would undoubtedly enable you to dial in the sound you want.
I use it into my own dac, a Young, and as far as I can hear it is completely transparent, if you can separate out this from the enormous improvement it brings in clarity by removing room modes.

advertisement

Back