advertisement

Tale of bass and Smoke

Pablo

Hi,

Over the last few weeks I've been home demoing a few subwoofers. My system is/was 2x linn LK140s active driving Katans, Karin pre, Genki and lp12. linn over load lol.

The first Sub was a B&W ASW608 small and sealed box. This sounded good in my small listening room. Having listened to the little B&W for a few days i had what seemed like a good idea, why not dem a PV1 or big Rel? So i called my local dealer and arranged a dem of the Rel R528 until they get another PV1 for demo.

I got home with a big shinny black cube. The asw was hooked up via phono leads but the rel had the high level Neutrik lead so i asked if this would be better to use? and was told yes, the shop kindly put some plugs on the wires so i could connect them to the speaker outputs on my Power amp. Now this is where it went a bit tits up.

I followed both the instructions from Rel and the advice from the dealer and put yellow and black wires to the + & - of the left channel and the black to the + of the right channel. checked every thing 3 times and before switching the sub on i powered up my system AND CRACK SNAP AND POP! and a bit of smoke. 1 power amp fu*ked and possibly my speakers:(.

What i had forgot is the Kairn inverts the signal and i had shorted out the amp. ****ing daft idea if u ask me. So it looks like i will be having a trip to see Darren at Class A some time soon.

The good news is the speakers are fine and i have changed the system back to passive, and the Rel maybe a keeper cos even in this config the whole system sound sublime with more midrange/topend which has surprised me the most. Bass is more extended but thats to be expected, but the midrange is something else. But i am missing the Active sound.

Paul

I followed both the instructions from Rel and the advice from the dealer and put yellow and black wires to the + & - of the left channel and the black to the + of the right channel.
Black is normally ground, which is usually commoned at the output of the amplifier. In effect, you seem to have shorted the right channel.

What i had forgot is the Kairn inverts the signal and i had shorted out the amp. ****ing daft idea if u ask me.
Signal inversion has nothing to do with your mishap.

Thanks James,

Sorry I ment that the red wire went to the + right Channel and the yellow goes to + while the black goes to - on the left. This is what I did and checked 3 times before powering it up.

I connected some class d amplification to a small rel sub and had to wait while rel concocted a special interconnect

advertisement

Back