advertisement

Tag 100x5 r

Fitnessed

pfm Member
Have a spare tagmclaren 100x5r
Running quad 57 stacked with x2 303.
Is it worth trying anyone use one as a hifi amp?

It's actually very good as is but can be improved. It's constructed as five mono power amps of very good quality.

Kevin Green (formerly audio cellar) has a nice little upgrade which does away with one channel to make space for some bigger caps and a few other upgrades.

Not sure it's the right thing for ESL57's though. Might blow them up if not used with care.

It's actually very good as is but can be improved. It's constructed as five mono power amps of very good quality.

Kevin Green (formerly audio cellar) has a nice little upgrade which does away with one channel to make space for some bigger caps and a few other upgrades.

Not sure it's the right thing for ESL57's though. Might blow them up if not used with care.

Interesting thanks.....
Sounds great with x2 303,was advised by someone with vast 57 experience, that i need 606,909 0r qmp which they are running to get the best out of them.
Hence wanting to try a high powered amp i already have....
Have clamps boards and wont be going silly...

I have a Kevin Green modded 100x5 (now technically a 100x4) which I use to bi-amp a pair of KEF Reference 1's. Very, very good amp.
Thanks for sharing this, going to dig it out and give it a go.....
Never opened mine up didn't realize it was a all monos housed like that with their own toridials as well.
Intrigued with the mods make much difference?

s-l1600-7 by Andy Grey, on Flickr

s-l1600 by Andy Grey, on Flickr

s-l1600-5 by Andy Grey, on Flickr

The biggest mod is the huge overkill PSU with (AFAIK) about 4x the capacitance of the original modules. Kevin also does a number of other mods and upgrades which he talked me through but most of it went over my head.
He's a real expert on Audiolab/Tag McLaren gear as well as Linn active crossovers and has spent a few decades tinkering with them. I have a few of his other amps (a pair of modded Audiolab 8000M's and an 8000q) which are vastly improved from standard.
I'm not sure what he charges for upgrading a 100x5 to his '100x4' spec but would 100% recommend getting it done if you can, also as your 100x5 is probably over 20 years old it could probably do with a service and re-cap.

advertisement

Back