advertisement

T-Amps

I think a certain pair of UK manufacturers missed a trick here. Imagine going into your local Hi-Fi shop and asking for a N*** SLAP or a L*** SLAP.

As others have said a little battery conditioner and a small SLA battery in a box work very well. I ran a Sonic Impact on similar a few years back, it was great. These things don't have to be bulky or ugly.

As others have said a little battery conditioner and a small SLA battery in a box work very well. I ran a Sonic Impact on similar a few years back, it was great. These things don't have to be bulky or ugly.

What will be the best non-battery solution ?

I would guess at a linear power supply able to deliver current easily, incorporating some nice big reservoir caps. I don't think SMPSs are very good at that unless they are very big. Even then I'd be skeptical, linear PSUs can deliver current and adapt very quickly to a changing world.

The average SMPS in a gaming rig can deliver about 45-50 amps at 12v 24/7 and costs about £60, I wonder how they'd fare if hotwired to provide power for a T-amp that took 12v...

Here's roughly what came with my SMSL T-amp. One of the reasons I went with SMSL was that it wasn't a cheapo wall wart.

T2uZvnXndXXXXXXXXX_!!455818559.jpg

I'd be curious if a lab bench supply would be a step up. It would fit the aesthetic of my garage system :)

A bit of googling suggests the TA2021B differs from the 2020 only in the chip package, rather than the innards - different form factors allowing different heat sinks and so different power ratings. Anyone done a head-to-head?

When I get back to Colorado I'm planning on taking it over to my friends place to plug into his Cornwalls. Sounds like I'm in for a treat.

Very well I'm sure, 45-50 amps is HUGE. The SMPS I've seen are 5A max.

Have a look at any PC power supply. They are not huge. They are all SMPSs, and power outputs of 800 W and more are not unusual. The outputs are a mix of 12V, 5V and 3.3v, so currents are well in excess of 50 A. Try to imagine that as a linear power supply - *that* would be huge. There is a reason high-current supplies tend to be SMPSs, not linear.

ahh I think they just meant 50 amps is huge at 12v, and it is for a t amp :p High end PC PSUs can churn out 100amps constant at a steady 12v, and I'd imagine the quality of the power is very good but I don't actually know.

I'd have a go now only my TP-22 takes 20v (supplied with a 20v/3a smps with hideous blue LED) for it's TK2050.

I might buy a 2020 (probably also topping) that runs on 12v out of sheer curiosity, that's how I ended up with this one for nearly 2 years now :D

Of all the bargain basement oriental eBay brands out there, SMSL is the one that consistently impresses me the most. Musiland gear is uniformly excellent, too.

However, the cheapest linear bench/CB radio supply will be much cleaner than the best switch-mode: Tripath love them. Voltcraft are the best of the bunch, I think: we've published one or two articles about how to mod them.

However, the cheapest linear bench/CB radio supply will be much cleaner than the best switch-mode: Tripath love them. Voltcraft are the best of the bunch, I think: we've published one or two articles about how to mod them.
I can understand how you think that but there are cases where a well designed smps can improve on a fairly decent linear ps. Only today have I come across an smps which rivals an SLA and knocks a Muse/Ordo linear ps into the weeds.

Tell us some more then, Clive. What model and output voltage is it?
It's from Temple Audio, 18V 2.7A. The Ordo is 5A and can reach 16.4V or my example can anyway. I've been auditioning several alternatives and have been surprised by what I've found, which I have to say is not entirely predicable.

Have a look at any PC power supply. They are not huge. They are all SMPSs, and power outputs of 800 W and more are not unusual. The outputs are a mix of 12V, 5V and 3.3v, so currents are well in excess of 50 A. Try to imagine that as a linear power supply - *that* would be huge. There is a reason high-current supplies tend to be SMPSs, not linear.
Agreed, the technology will go to those currents, but what I'm getting at is the size of the circuitry required to deliver 50A. A sustained 50A, too. IIRC 2.5mm T&E is safe to 30A, so you'd need double that. To run a T amp too. I agree a linear PSU will be huge also, though.

Do PCs really deliver >50 A? How? The wires coming out are spawny, you aren't passing any sustained 50A down that without a fire.

Right. I have the standard Bantam Gold power supply 15.4v. I was under the impression
15v was the recommended high.

It's from Temple Audio, 18V 2.7A. The Ordo is 5A and can reach 16.4V or my example can anyway. I've been auditioning several alternatives and have been surprised by what I've found, which I have to say is not entirely predicable.

Is this suitable for the Bantam Gold or is it for the monoblocks . Do you have a link for this PSU Clive.

I'd read that T-Amp chips fry at 16v. It's actually one of the things I'm a little worried about as I'm in a high-voltage area getting about 248-250v much of the time and I don't understand how SMPS stuff works, so I've no idea if the high mains input will mean more than the stated 14v comes out at the other end. I'll measure it at some point. It looks like a pretty decent PSU (the same as the one pictured in post #87 aside from having Topping rather than SMSL branding).

Is this suitable for the Bantam Gold or is it for the monoblocks . Do you have a link for this PSU Clive.

The ps I mentioned is for the monoblocks. I believe the Gold will take 18V as it's the same chip but check with Temple. I don't know what their current 15V one is like. Maybe it's of the same ilk. My experience is as of today, I don't think I'll change my mind, but I reserve that right!

Thanks Clive . I think I read somewhere that the Gold will accept 18V . One of my mates has the monoblocks with the latest PSUs . I'll see if I can borrow one and test it ( using my Bantam Gold ) against the 12V SLA battery which I currently use . I'll post back here if I manage to do the comparison.

Thanks Clive . I think I read somewhere that the Gold will accept 18V . One of my mates has the monoblocks with the latest PSUs . I'll see if I can borrow one and test it ( using my Bantam Gold ) against the 12V SLA battery which I currently use . I'll post back here if I manage to do the comparison.

I should add that with my more resolving speakers I prefer the smps, with the lesser speakers I prefer SLAs. It's not a straightforward choice. Both speakers are an easy load but the better ones are far higher efficiency.

advertisement

Back