advertisement

T-Amps

It is quite a shock to hear how good little Tripath amps can be with efficient speakers. They're not just good for the money: they're just flat out good. Although the 2020 is probably the most rounded and sophisticated variant, I've a soft spot for the sparkly little 2024 - especially with slightly tired-sounding big old speakers.

Sounds like a large chunk of synergy going on here Tony . Enjoy ;) Some people take years to find it .

It's the kind of SET like rolled-off at the top and warm at the bottom character fits the H like a glove. I suspect T-Amps react to speaker impedance rather like a tube amp, though I don't understand the theory well enough to know for sure. The Heresys have taken on a similar character to how they behave with a tube amp with transformers with fairly high output impedance, e.g. my old Prima Luna (which they loved). The Heresys are high efficiency (96db) and have an impedance that swings wildly from 8-72Ohms but in a very non-reactive manner. You have to go a long way to find an easier to drive loudspeaker.

I'm sure it is synergy Tony. My speakers are 100db efficiency and very revealing in the vocal area. It wouldn't take much of a difference in balance for a another speaker to not pick out what I've described - which in many ways is a blessing.

It's the kind of SET like rolled-off at the top and warm at the bottom character fits the H like a glove. I suspect T-Amps react to speaker impedance rather like a tube amp, though I don't understand the theory well enough to know for sure. The Heresys have taken on a similar character to how they behave with a tube amp with transformers with fairly high output impedance, e.g. my old Prima Luna (which they loved). The Heresys are high efficiency (96db) and have an impedance that swings wildly from 8-72Ohms but in a very non-reactive manner. You have to go a long way to find an easier to drive loudspeaker.
T-amps are optimised for a specific load, the Temples are set up for 6 ohms. If you drive a higher load there will be a 2db to 3 db hump at around 15kHz. Probably it's not significant for many people here!

Unlike DMP, Tripath is a fad that didn't fade.
Wait until you put it on a decent linear supply or battery . . .

l have two Virtue Audio Sensations (Tripath), one on a big linear supply, the other on battery and believe you me they are probably the best amps l have ever owned, and l have owned some expensive amps........;) Incredible value for money.

l have two Virtue Audio Sensations (Tripath), one on a big linear supply, the other on battery and believe you me they are probably the best amps l have ever owned, and l have owned some expensive amps........;) Incredible value for money.

Can I ask did you buy them direct or used? Thanks

I ran 3 x trends TA10.2's on a 12v Car battery , I found the power supplies provided were actually just unreliable (cheap chinese junk) , I was told the unfiltered battery was "noisy" and that I needed some capacitor banks , but in reality it wasn't so. I ended up "triamping" the speakers , and as you can see , it got real messy wiring wise :)

Ultimately , the speakers I used worked better on a more beefy amp , albeit they were 96db , they went very low and I was running them at some quite high levels and the T-amps were going into their distortion zone.
At moderate levels , I can confidently say they these were the best amps on the speakers (Osborn Epitome + bass modules) http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/files/epitspec.html
I had older models than these.
I found the amps to have a clarity and purity that many others didn't

902712_146953365485273_1710457293_o.jpg

892077_146952405485369_252363586_o.jpg

374517_146952368818706_754719926_n.jpg

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent PSU? I don't want to faff around with ugly bulky car batteries etc, nor do I want to go the inflated price boutique audiophile route, but if someone knows of a decent quality PSU from RS or wherever that would be better / safer / more reliable then I'll go buy it.

Tony - Put a request up in the DIY room... Sure someone can put something together for you or point you in the right direction.

Tony, here's what I've lashed up to run 2 monoblocks + 1 stereo amp. It's temporary while I sort out switching for charge/ discharge. SLAs sound better than the linear power supplies I've used. I suggest the use of inline fuses. These batteries are 7Ah each.

Batteries really are a non-starter I'm afraid as the system gets used maybe once a week when I'm grading records / sorting stock to list on a Sunday. I don't want to have to think about charging anything.

Or, in KingRex speak, SLAP (Sealed Lead Acid Power). Personally, I think Tripath sounds better on a meaty battery than anything else. The KingRex SLAP is designed for exactly that job - trickle charges - and it's reassuringly expensive.

Any decent 12V linear is a good second best - again, KingRex make one for the Tripath T20 at £179. Actually, they tend to prefer 12.5-14V (the KingRex PSU is 13.1V). Or, why not snag a bench supply for beer money? I ran a little Pop Pulse 2024 on an ancient lab supply for years: cracking.

Mark

advertisement

Back