advertisement

Systems for listening quietly (well, not loudly).

bigblue

pfm Member
I like my stereo. It sounds much nicer turned up (less smooth and inoffensive, much more exciting and lively). Is this inevitable, or are some systems better at coping with lower volumes?

Big sensitive speakers, or powerful amps modestly turned up, or electrostatics, or just the way certain components are. Asking for opinions just out of interest really.

The better the system and the better it is setup in a quiet room the better it will sound at all volumes.

No, it's not inevitable. In fact I'd say it's a sign of a poor system. A good one should work at all volumes.
There’s not a system in the world that sounds as good at 60db as it does at 80db. Music comes alive when it’s a bit ‘louder’.

My system ‘works’ at lower volumes but it sounds better when playing at 76db average. Which is quite loud.

Munson-Fletcher curves aside, what you're looking for is immediacy and how quickly the loudspeaker can respond to the tiniest signal it is fed. Those attributes are most strongly associated with efficient loudspeakers. Think 95dB/w/m or higher. Also, don't confuse voltage sensitivity with conversion efficiency. The former could be 95dB/2.83V/m but requires an arc-welding amp to drive its impedance.

High quality sound at low volume (2am in a flat when the others are asleep) is much harder to achieve than high quality head-banging...
In my case the low volume solution involves a beefy power amp and big floor standers.

Last edited:
There’s not a system in the world that sounds as good at 60db as it does at 80db.
I disagree. Hi-Fi would be largely irrelevant if this were true. Most of my listening is at 'background' levels, I want the music to be just as exciting then as it is at 'show'off' levels, and it is.

What I have found is that you need to make it a deliberate choice. When you consider new components, ones that only work at higher volume are rejected, no matter what other positive attributes they have. There are a heck of a lot of speakers and amps which only come alive when opened up. Just don't buy them.

Munson-Fletcher curves aside, what you're looking for is immediacy and how quickly the loudspeaker can respond to the tiniest signal it is fed. Those attributes are most strongly associated with efficient loudspeakers. Think 95dB/w/m or higher. Also, don't confuse voltage sensitivity with conversion efficiency. The former could be 95dB/2.83V/m but requires an arc-welding amp to drive its impedance.
High efficiency is often said to a prime determining factor, wish could explain why the Klipsch Cornwall IV does low volumes so well, with a high sensitivity of 102 dB.

It can't be the only prerequisite, though, as the Royd RR3 does the trick very nicely at a surprisingly low 83 dB. 🤔

Last edited:
High efficiency is often said to a prime determining factor, wish could explain why the Klipsch Cornwall IV does low volumes so well, with a high sensitivity of 102 dB.

It's can't be the only prerequisite, though, as the Royd RR3 does the trick very nicely at a surprisingly low 83 dB. 🤔
No, Isobariks and Kans are also really good at low volume despite not being the more efficient things in the world. I think that high-efficiency speakers have a certain air about them that's apparent at all volumes.

Playing well at 65dB peaks / 60dB avg. is something I look out for, that's my evening unwind listening level.

I've found speakers can perform well at those level for different reasons...

Neat Petites and Dynaudio Heritage Specials both low vol champs I believe because they are both a little tipped up in the presence/treble regions which adds clarity when turning down the volume. When I turn these up the overall balance doesn't dramatically change, they just get louder. I rarely want to listen to these louder than 75dB.

Monitor Audio Platinum 100 3G work equally as well at low volume, here there's a smidge less detail as they're not as tipped up but far fuller bass output which creates more sense of scale and retains more body to voices/instruments at lower vol. When I turn these up the scale just keeps swelling and swelling rather than sense of "loudness". I often want to listen to these pushing 80dB and beyond and stellar at low vol.

I also had some Dali Opticon Mk2 2 which sucked at low vol and needed volume to be pushing at least 70-75dB to come alive (albeit with inferior amp them, back then)

Volume is a weird thing (meaning I don't understand it). Very different experiences.

Last edited:
Most of the time it's the listener not the system. Cable and such dems know well that raising the volume produces perceived improvement, they've been caught doing it. I've taught myself to enjoy music at 60dB. So long as your system can express dynamic contrast, and nearly all pfm systems can I'm sure, there shouldn't be a problem.

Most of the time it's the listener not the system. Cable and such dems know well that raising the volume produces perceived improvement, they've been caught doing it. I've taught myself to enjoy music at 60dB. So long as your system can express dynamic contrast, and nearly all pfm systems can I'm sure, there shouldn't be a problem.

Those reviews, of which I've seen numerous, claiming "need volume to come alive" talking nonsense?

We'll agree to disagree then.
Those reviews, of which I've seen numerous, claiming "need volume to come alive" talking nonsense?
It's not nonsense, my old Dynaudio Special 40's definitely came alive at 75db plus.

I'm convinced that a lot of people have actually convinced themselves that their system sounds as good at 60b as is does at 80 because they're forced to listen at those volumes due to their domestic situation. 60db is like background noise to me.

We'll agree to disagree then.

It's not nonsense, my old Dynaudio Special 40's definitely came alive at 75db plus.

I'm convinced that a lot of people have actually convinced themselves that their system sounds as good at 60b as is does at 80 because they're forced to listen at those volumes due to their domestic situation. 60db is like background noise to me.

I'd go with that; I've never heard 60db sound as good as 70db with the same speaker.

For me it's a question of how well they can perform at lower vol compared to other speakers, rather than compared to than to themselves at 75dB, which will be a losing battle. Can they perform good enough at low vol to be satisfying? And the right ones can. (Similarly some speakers I prefer at 70dB than 80dB+, generally because they become too abrasive a listen for various reasons, whereas other speakers don't get annoying when cranked)

It's a minefield. Not enough reviewers take this into account with their reviews

Not all amps can deliver at low volume....the volume control is virtually at zero and you don't get two full channels in balance until it is louder which defeats the object. You will need a low powered amp and and speakers that need driving so the volume level on the amp is at say 50% but the sound level is still low. Beware clipping though.
Or you could use wireless headphones like Bose Quiet Comfort.
I've a Roberts Streamium on a shelf right next to my right ear which works for me when quietness is needed.

advertisement

Back