advertisement

System Reviews-Why I love my own system

I must admit, I enjoyed writing the review of my own system and a few other members enjoyed it too, so I though that I wouyld do a write up of my second/office system upstairs; hope you forgive my self-indulgence!

It had gotten to the point where I was sitting out in the kitchen in the evening, listening to music on the laptop, so when our son left home, the now vacant small bedroom offered an opportunity to install a hi-fi system!

I had some bits leftover from the main system downstairs:

· Linn LP12

· Norton psu

· Audiomods Classic tonearm

· Metal bodied Denon DL103

· Naim Hi-Cap

· Linn Kans Mk1

· Linn K20 loudspeaker cable

· Naim NAP120 amplifier case, empty apart from the transformer

· Maplin DAC

· Nakamichi 600 cassette deck.

· Logitech Squeezebox Touch

A nice Naim NAC 42.5 came up for sale on pfm, so I purchased that, to go with the Hi-Cap that I already had. The NAP120 had been converted into a PSU before I bought it, so I picked up a pair of NAP250 boards and one of Les W’s NAP110 upgrade modules and built a new amplifier that I christened the ZAP120!

Being a small room, space was at a premium, so I looked out for a pair of Sound Organisation Kan wall brackets, which again, I eventually found on pfm! An old Ikea unit was pressed into service to house the equipment.

A Mana wall shelf was the obvious choice for placement of the LP12 on; another pfm find! The Denon DL103 was purchased from pfm too!

It was the slight dissatisfaction with the LP12 that lead me to investigate other turntables in the main system. I was quite keen to get the LP12 back to Linn spec, that way at least I could hopefully narrow down the cause of my dissatisfaction. So, I bought a used Lingo 1 and got it serviced by Class A, a used Linn Keel (from pfm) and a solid base. The Audiomods arm was spare because I had bought a Zeta for the Lenco 88.

The Linn was sounding good at this point at this point, though I did think that the top end whilst great on some material, like Jimi Hendrix – smash hits, for example, could sound a bit over the top on other records. So, I bought the Norton back into play and although I had used this for many years, I was surprised at the improvements it gave; now, the top end was somehow smoother and less notchy is the best way I can describe it. I wanted to retain the 45rpm capability, but the two are pin to pin compatible, so it’s only a matter of swapping PSU’s if I want to play such records. I ended up removing the base too, replacing it with 3m bump-on feet, because I have always found the LP12 to work better this way, especially when it’s on a Mana stand.

I had planned a visit to Les W, to get my NAP 250 serviced, so it was a good opportunity to get the Hi-Cap serviced too and get the TPR4 regulators fitted too.

As I said at the time:

I pressed the Maplin DAC into service, along with an Mtech HiFace Two, so that I could play internet radio through the Toshiba laptop, which, tbh, is what I mostly do with this system.

Downstairs, I had bought an Auralic Aries Mini for streaming, which meant that the Squeezebox Touch was spare too, I installed Squeezepad for control, sourcing the music files on the Auralic SSD via the home network.

I love Nakamichi cassette decks, and I have been lucky enough to get two at exceptionally low price! When I bought the 670ZX for the main system, the 600 (that I bought on pfm) became spare. It’s a lovely machine and sounds superb, though they are not easy to service these days, because of the lack of spare parts, but this one is working fine at the moment.

The only missing thing was CD capability, so, after giving it a lit of thought, I opted for a Cambridge CXC, using the other input on the Maplin DAC.

You will see a reoccurring theme, with the amount of equipment that I have bought from the pfm classifieds!

One idea that I had with this system, was to rotate other equipment through it. I have a NAC12 with NJ cards and a NAP120. The latter is a good working example, though it could probably do with a service; I bet it would sound superb through this system!

LP12/Kore/Lingo 1 or Norton AirPower/Audiomods Classic (built from kit)/Metal bodied Denon 103

Nakamichi 600 cassette deck

Cambridge CXC CD Transport/Maplin DAC

Squeezebox Touch / Best of Two Worlds Booster Linear PSU

Naim NAC42.5/HiCap-TPR4

ZAP120 – homebuilt amplifier in Naim NAP120 case + frame transformer/Avondale NAP110 PSU/NAP250 boards

Linn Mk I Kans/LK20/Sound Organisation brackets.

I spend hours listening to this system, It’s clean and bouncy, with no listening fatigue and sounds good across a wide range of material and it it meets the demands of my flat Earth credentials very well!

I like these second system reviews as well. Any more?

What I regard as my main system is the one in my study, and that’s currently:

· Linn LP12 Turntable, SME3009 arm

· SimAudio Moon 110LP phono stage

· Audiolab CD Transport

· SimAudio Moon 100D DAC

· Cambridge Audio Sonata NP30 streamer

· I also use my PC as a source, mainly for Spotify, connected via optical into the DAC

· Krell KAV 400xi integrated

· Wilson Benesch Square One speakers

Aim: Decent sounds in a small room

Music: Quite a variety – classical, rock, jazz, indie – a bit of everything really.

Results: My study isn’t that big (about 8” x 12”) and has been through a lot of iterations through the years especially speakers – everything from floorstanders to small stand-mounters plus a sub. The Square One’s are by far the best I’ve tried though, and I’ve decided I prefer them without a sub. I also like the (relatively!) low box-count compared to when I ran an active Naim set-up. I can’t me see my changing it anytime soon as there is nothing in the system I don’t like and I think the combination of the Krell integrated and the Wilson Benesch speakers works really well in that room.

These days I mostly either stream from Spotify via my PC and the DAC with the turntable being the next most used. I still listen to CD’s a fair bit but find I don’t use the streamer that much. Can’t recall the last time I used it in fact, although I stream a fair bit in my other systems. It’s maybe just that anytime I’m in that room I’m on the PC anyway, so it’s easier to stream from that.

It’s been through a lot of iterations through the years, with the initial set-up being a Project turntable, Arcam Alpha 1 CD and Alpha 5+ amp and Mission 733 speakers (all of which I still have, except for the turntable). That ended up being replaced with the LP12 (a very old one from 1973) with a Naim CD3.5, Naim NAC92R & NAP90.3 amplification into Credo’s. The amplification changed over the years and ended up with a NAC32.5, modified SNAPS power supply for the pre-amp plus 2 x NAP140’s active using an IXO powered by a Flatcap and another Flatcap powering the CD3.5 (all of which I still have although not currently in use) before moving to my current set-up a couple of years back.

I'll do my 2nd (living room) and 3rd (bedroom) systems at some point as well, as they've also been on a long journey to get where they are!

What I regard as my main system is the one in my study, and that’s currently:

· Linn LP12 Turntable, SME3009 arm

· SimAudio Moon 110LP phono stage

· Audiolab CD Transport

· SimAudio Moon 100D DAC

· Cambridge Audio Sonata NP30 streamer

· I also use my PC as a source, mainly for Spotify, connected via optical into the DAC

· Krell KAV 400xi integrated

· Wilson Benesch Square One speakers

Aim: Decent sounds in a small room

Music: Quite a variety – classical, rock, jazz, indie – a bit of everything really.

Results: My study isn’t that big (about 8” x 12”) and has been through a lot of iterations through the years especially speakers – everything from floorstanders to small stand-mounters plus a sub. The Square One’s are by far the best I’ve tried though, and I’ve decided I prefer them without a sub. I also like the (relatively!) low box-count compared to when I ran an active Naim set-up. I can’t me see my changing it anytime soon as there is nothing in the system I don’t like and I think the combination of the Krell integrated and the Wilson Benesch speakers works really well in that room.

These days I mostly either stream from Spotify via my PC and the DAC with the turntable being the next most used. I still listen to CD’s a fair bit but find I don’t use the streamer that much. Can’t recall the last time I used it in fact, although I stream a fair bit in my other systems. It’s maybe just that anytime I’m in that room I’m on the PC anyway, so it’s easier to stream from that.

It’s been through a lot of iterations through the years, with the initial set-up being a Project turntable, Arcam Alpha 1 CD and Alpha 5+ amp and Mission 733 speakers (all of which I still have, except for the turntable). That ended up being replaced with the LP12 (a very old one from 1973) with a Naim CD3.5, Naim NAC92R & NAP90.3 amplification into Credo’s. The amplification changed over the years and ended up with a NAC32.5, modified SNAPS power supply for the pre-amp plus 2 x NAP140’s active using an IXO powered by a Flatcap and another Flatcap powering the CD3.5 (all of which I still have although not currently in use) before moving to my current set-up a couple of years back.

I'll do my 2nd (living room) and 3rd (bedroom) systems at some point as well, as they've also been on a long journey to get where they are!
Sounds like a fruitful journey.How do you find the Audiolab transport?

Sounds like a fruitful journey.How do you find the Audiolab transport?

It seems pretty good to me and has been reliable so far (more so than the Music Fidelity M1CDT that was in the system previously (which does work ok, but likes a little bit of time to warm up before it'll ready discs).

I like these second system reviews as well. Any more?
Okay, okay.......

Kit in the workshop :

Kenwood KT 8007
Linn Mimik
Sugden A48 mk2
IMF Super Compact version 1

Perfect set for blues music in fact. Good bass, sweet treble with a cute Sugden signature, dynamic enough for drum with a medium a bit laidback that forgives on poor recordings.

I have a kind of love and hate with the Sugden as it’s very sweet and addictive but that includes also a little humming and it doesn’t like to be pushed to hard as reliability is not its strength........but I can’t let it go !

All of these were bought with spare change making it an absolute value for money that makes you want to listen to one more song, again and again.........

My 2nd system is the one in the living room. Currently it is:

Turntable: Project Debut III with a couple of upgrades (acrylic platter and speedbox), Denon DL110
Phono Stage: Cambridge Audio 651P
CD Transport: Musical Fidelity M1CDT
DAC: Music Fidelity M1DAC
Streamers: Squeezebox Touch & Echo Dot
Amplifier: Audiolab 8000S
Speakers: Triangle Titus XS
Speaker Stands: Atacama Moseco 6

I think pretty much everything other than the speaker stands and the Echo Dot were bought 2nd hand. It's used a fair bit and sounds decent to me on all sources, with the turntable getting by far the most use, probably followed by the Echo Dot. It's not been changed that much since it was put in place although originally it was based around an Audio Note Oto integrated (which is a particularly nice combination with the Triangle speakers as they're quite sensitive) but that keeps blowing up (it lasted about a year since the last time it was back at Audio Note for a service) so is currently up in the loft with the other bits of kit that have disgraced themselves. It was then replaced with an Onix DNA45 which sounded fine but the ergonomics are so bad it only lasted a week or two before being replaced with the Audiolab 8000S (which I like, but then I also like the much maligned 8000A).

No plans to change anything but I'll no doubt get the Oto fixed at some point and put it back in the system until it blows up again.

Why does something from a well respected audio company like AN blow up like this?

I was semi-considering getting a lower end AN Single Ended amp to try but you have put me off a bit - I want reliability from a brand !

Hi Everyone, My first hi fi came from Tandys, a shop I frequented weekly in my early teens.
Realistic was the brand name and I had a SA1000 amp, TM1000 tuner, Optimus 2BF speakers,
Amstrad TP12D turntable with Shure M75EJ cart and a Deccasound cassette recorder.
I believe the amp and tuner were made for Tandy by Pioneer and they did have a little bit
of a resemblance to the Pioneer gear of the time. It all sounded pretty good to me.
The Amstrad died and was replaced by a Technics SLD3B and really wasn't any better.
The Realistic amp was replaced by a Hitachi HA3700 which again didn't improve things.
These were superceded by a Marantz PM310 amp, TU310L tuner and matching cassette deck
all found for sale in the local paper for sale ads. Similarly a Stathclyde STD305D with
SME series IIIs to which i added a Ortofon MC1 turbo.
I finally decided to find out what all the fuss about CDs was and if they were as good as some
claimed and so a Technics SL PG490 was bought. Not the worst CD sound I've ever heard!
Finally with a little bit of spare cash behind me I decided to audition some new equipment
in a proper hifi shop. A Rotel RC970BX and RB970BX were pitted against an Arcam Delta 290
and an Audiolab 8000A. I was surprised to find myself leaving with the Rotels. Not sure why,
they just sounded better to me. A Rotel RQ970BX phono pre amp and a second RB970BX.

A follow up visit ,when funds had recovered a little, to demo a pair of Ruark Templers.
Again I was surprised to find they didn't really suit me. A pair of ProAc Tablette 50s were
suggested, listened to and purchased. I thought they looked tiny but was genuinely amazed at
how big they sounded without being raucous. Took them home with some Target R1 stands.
A few months later an Arcam Delta 270 was demoed and replaced the Technics.
A traded in LP12 with LVX arm followed and was teamed up with an Ortofon 2M blue.
The Rotel amps are used in monobloc form because there seemed to be a
noticable leap forward in clarity as compared to the stereo configuration.

Since the system was completed I've never felt the need to change anything. It plays everything
I like and always sound great. Everything from Progressive Rock through Rock, acoustic, classical
to solo female singer songwriters, it all sounds so good I am still satisfied with it.

Until recently when the opportunity surfaced of a pair of Linn Keilidhs in as new condition. Took
them home too. Currently I am still slightly more in favour of the ProAcs. Though that could
change when we move house in a year or two so they are staying for the time being.

The only addional items to the system aren't really used much anymore:
Denon TU380RDS tuner, Yamaha KX580 cassette and Sony RCD W100 CD recorder

If you've read this far, thanks for putting up with an old man's ramblings. I've condensed a 48 year
journey as much as I could.

Regards Andy

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, My first hi fi came from Tandys, a shop I frequented weekly in my early teens.
Realistic was the brand name and I had a SA1000 amp, TM1000 tuner, Optimus 2BF speakers,
Amstrad TP12D turntable with Shure M75EJ cart and a Deccasound cassette recorder.
I believe the amp and tuner were made for Tandy by Pioneer and they did have a little bit
of a resemblance to the Pioneer gear of the time. It all sounded pretty good to me.
The Amstrad died and was replaced by a Technics SLD3B and really wasn't any better.
The Realistic amp was replaced by a Hitachi HA3700 which again didn't improve things.
These were superceded by a Marantz PM310 amp, TU310L tuner and matching cassette deck
all found for sale in the local paper for sale ads. Similarly a Stathclyde STD305D with
SME series IIIs to which i added a Ortofon MC1 turbo.
I finally decided to find out what all the fuss about CDs was and if they were as good as some
claimed and so a Technics SL PG490 was bought. Not the worst CD sound I've ever heard!
Finally with a little bit of spare cash behind me I decided to audition some new equipment
in a proper hifi shop. A Rotel RC970BX and RB970BX were pitted against an Arcam Delta 290
and an Audiolab 8000A. I was surprised to find myself leaving with the Rotels. Not sure why,
they just sounded better to me. A Rotel RQ970BX phono pre amp and a second RB970BX.

A follow up visit ,when funds had recovered a little, to demo a pair of Ruark Templers.
Again I was surprised to find they didn't really suit me. A pair of ProAc Tablette 50s were
suggested, listened to and purchased. I thought they looked tiny but was genuinely amazed at
how big they sounded without being raucous. Took them home with some Target R1 stands.
A few months later an Arcam Delta 270 was demoed and replaced the Technics.
A traded in LP12 with LVX arm followed and was teamed up with an Ortofon 2M blue.
The Rotel amps are used in monobloc form because there seemed to be a
noticable leap forward in clarity as compared to the stereo configuration.

Since the system was completed I've never felt the need to change anything. It plays everything
I like and always sound great. Everything from Progressive Rock through Rock, acoustic, classical
to solo female singer songwriters, it all sounds so good I am still satisfied with it.

Until recently when the opportunity surfaced of a pair of Linn Keilidhs in as new condition. Took
them home too. Currently I am still slightly more in favour of the ProAcs. Though that could
change when we move house in a year or two so they are staying for the time being.

The only addional items to the system aren't really used much anymore:
Denon TU380RDS tuner, Yamaha KX580 cassette and Sony RCD W100 CD recorder

If you've read this far, thanks for putting up with an old man's ramblings. I've condensed a 48 year
journey as much as I could.

Regards Andy
I have the Rotel 970 BX and the 965BX CD player. They still hold their own! I’d like to try the Yammy 850 cassette deck. Need to get a good one for a good price!

.....so is currently up in the loft with the other bits of kit that have disgraced themselves....

I once travelled to Liverpool to buy a honda estate car from two local fellows. All went well until I asked for a bit of a price reduction.
"No! You have disgraced yourself"
I was told... I must admit I struggled to keep a straight face....

Rotel CD players and amps outperform their price bracket regularly.
I've never felt the need for a better cassette recorder than my Yamaha.
Plenty of Yamaha cassettes available on EBay from £25.00 up the £500.
I would rather pay a bit more for one with a warranty from a shop as they
are complicated delicate mechanisms, but that's just a personnal thing.
Richer Sounds still sell new Teac cassette recorders, but I've no idea how good
they are. You may be able to source one from your local HI fi shop if they do
trade ins.

Regards Andy

Just a thought - have you ever looked at Facebook marketplace? I had a look and there is a Teac cassette for sale for £45.00 locally to me. You never know you're luck!

Last edited:
Why I love my system? Simple: it's more than my ears deserve.

Cannot agree more! After forty odd years of financial struggle to achieve my own personal audio nirvana the end is in sight.
Unless of course my Audiophilia Nervosa returns. A disease that has no known cure. In remission just now but I suspect its terminal!

advertisement

Back