advertisement

System Reviews-Why I love my own system

Great thread idea Del!!
My turn:
I'm Darren and I'm an audiophile. I enjoy the kit as much as the music. That's why I hang out on a hifi forum.
Starting a new home in my early fifties... my budget is limited because my old wreck of place needs everything doing to it.
My objectives are :
* To have a 'live' sound - something bold and clear, not overly refined, but detailed and dynamic. A sound that arouses my emotions, not sends me to sleep.
* To be able to include some of the kit I wanted decades ago but couldn't afford.
* To have a full range system - one that goes low into the bass and high beyond the limit of my hearing.
* To have beautiful vocal reproduction and a strong stereo image.
* To have lots and lots of Audio fun. To move things around, try different cables, different combinations, to improve as I go.
* To never spend an amount of money that causes me any stress or concern. I have no interest in 'investment hifi'

Yea..... I want it all.... cant afford it... but want it. It's a journey and I'm enjoying it.

Speakers:
Magneplanar .6QR Not my first pair of Maggies but my best. Oak trim, cream cloth. Large and imposing - the way real speakers should be. Way out into the room. The first time I heard Maggies I could tell something was missing - the lack of a cabinet singing along was immediately obvious. Maggies create an expansive sound stage and easily fill a large room with sound. I wish I could afford larger ones.

Subwoofers:
I'm a huge REL fan. A sub is, for me, a great value upgrade when correctly integrated. I found a REL R-205 to be easy to integrate with the Maggies, so, like a fool, I bought another..... Gosh! integrating two subs is a Bugger of a job. They seem to activate the room modes in a way that one just didn't - I'm getting there and its fun.... but not as easy as REL would have you believe. When its good... its very good.

Power amp:
a NOS Yamaha mosfet professional amp - Big, fan cooled and powerful. Drives the Maggies to any level and has cool leds on the front too. I also have a pair of Musical Fidelity P150s awaiting Jez Arkless services. I do love old Musical Fidelity kit.....

Pre-amp:
A Musical Fidelity Pre amp 8 - mirrored front, waffle top case. Serviced by Jezzer who treated me fairly ands served me promptly. Love the look of this. But would like an ARC SP16 or something. We will see - I kinda miss valves in my system.

Sources:
I have a FIT PC running Daphile as a music server - I control it via my tablet - amazing value and great sound. I also have a vintage Mission PCM 7000 CD Player bought on vintage whim and a modern Marantz I use as a transport. Streamer wise a Google Chromecast Audio has given way to Primare NP5..... I'm not convinced it sounds any different - but its early days. The CCA has to be one of the audio bargains of the century.

DAC:
The Soncoz SGD1 is the heart of my system. All the digital sources are fed through it - I bought it new from Keith at Purite and I really rate it. The Soncoz was a great, very audible upgrade and Keith gives very good service - I'd buy from him again in an instant.

Cables:
The Van Den Hul cables have always interested me - especially the ones with the carbon conductors. I've slowly accumulated an all Van den Hul cable loom which adds an extra 2% to my system's performance I figure. It's not make or break.... but I can hear the benefits. You think I'm imagining it? I'm cool with that.

Things I want but cant (yet) afford:
Bigger Maggies!! or a pair of Quad 989
An ARC pre amp
A Krell KSA 80
A high end Audio Note Dac.
A snog with the Borg Queen.

I would like to try something with a higher current to see if the LRSs improve. Shame there is no pre-out on the Yammie.

I would like to try something with a higher current to see if the LRSs improve. Shame there is no pre-out on the Yammie.

'My overall aim is to at least touch on the objectives I listed above but to also settle on a system I can just listen to without an urge to change or upgrade. After a prolonged transition, I believe I am there. I want to get to a place where I just listen to the music, not the equipment.'

Noooooooooo

'My overall aim is to at least touch on the objectives I listed above but to also settle on a system I can just listen to without an urge to change or upgrade. After a prolonged transition, I believe I am there. I want to get to a place where I just listen to the music, not the equipment.'

Noooooooooo
Just try it!

Reactions: RoA
@Del monaco, I really do read and take note of other member’s systems, and yours is one that really intrigues me, it does seem to have all the ingredients to achieve a lot for a relatively affordable price, I’d love to hear it some day.

@Tony L, I’ve kind of settled into multiple systems, I also have two properly set up.

About my systems,

my main system is a full blown all linn active Ninka system with subs to cover everything from 40Hz down, Klimax Renew DS, Ikemi CD player and LP12/Lingo2/Kore/Karousel/Nima/Ortofon Quintet Blue/Linto turntable. it does do detail and scale effortlessly but it’s not forgiving of poor recordings, if there’s a flaw, you’ll hear it, that in itself doesn’t necessarily spoil the enjoyment of music, but those recordings with artificially boosted bass (typical EDM stuff, and of particular note Jamiroquai’s Automation), it can sound like the boot of a drug dealer’s BMW…

This is where my second system (Naim Nait 5i, CD5i with either Royd Sapphires or Ruark Talismans) really excels, it’s leaner and “faster”, it doesn’t have the separation/transparency of the Linn system and it doesn’t pull you in the same way, but it still has enough detail and space to satisfy me, and those overblown recordings just sound punchy and rhythmic on this system. It might be because it’s simply more bandwidth limited than the Linn system, but it works.

The overall consensus from those who’ve hear it is that the Linn sounds big, effortless and enveloping, and the Naim/Royd/Ruark sounds fun.

I have loads more kit than listed above, including a full active Linn Kaber system and a Meridian 507 CD player and 502 preamp (and much more)… The Meridian bits are really nice, need to pick up a Meridian power amp to partner with them and try living with for a while, but I really ought to move some other stuff on first.

@Del monaco, I really do read and take note of other member’s systems, and yours is one that really intrigues me, it does seem to have all the ingredients to achieve a lot for a relatively affordable price, I’d love to hear it some day.

@Tony L, I’ve kind of settled into multiple systems, I also have two properly set up.

About my systems,

my main system is a full blown all linn active Ninka system with subs to cover everything from 40Hz down, Klimax Renew DS, Ikemi CD player and LP12/Lingo2/Kore/Karousel/Nima/Ortofon Quintet Blue/Linto turntable. it does do detail and scale effortlessly but it’s not forgiving of poor recordings, if there’s a flaw, you’ll hear it, that in itself doesn’t necessarily spoil the enjoyment of music, but those recordings with artificially boosted bass (typical EDM stuff, and of particular note Jamiroquai’s Automation), it can sound like the boot of a drug dealer’s BMW…

This is where my second system (Naim Nait 5i, CD5i with either Royd Sapphires or Ruark Talismans) really excels, it’s leaner and “faster”, it doesn’t have the separation/transparency of the Linn system and it doesn’t pull you in the same way, but it still has enough detail and space to satisfy me, and those overblown recordings just sound punchy and rhythmic on this system. It might be because it’s simply more bandwidth limited than the Linn system, but it works.

The overall consensus from those who’ve hear it is that the Linn sounds big, effortless and enveloping, and the Naim/Royd/Ruark sounds fun.

I have loads more kit than listed above, including a full active Linn Kaber system and a Meridian 507 CD player and 502 preamp (and much more)… The Meridian bits are really nice, need to pick up a Meridian power amp to partner with them and try living with for a while, but I really ought to move some other stuff on first.
I love how passionate you are about the Linn gear. I read your posts and you appear truly absorbed. You make me look up stuff like the Ikemi etc. Nice to read your words and feelings about your system.

I love how passionate you are about the Linn gear. I read your posts and you appear truly absorbed. You make me look up stuff like the Ikemi etc. Nice to read your words and feelings about your system.
It’s the old but gold Linn gear I love, you don’t have to spend a fortune to put a great system together. The Ikemi has held its value like few other CD players, with them fetching just under half what they cost new, despite being 15+ years old… but it’s a fantastic machine that represented superb value when new, and I’d still argue they’re decent value at around £900 now. The rest of the LK series kit has depreciated more sharply, but it’s still excellent and represents great VFM used. I’ve had a large cross section of kit from other brands through my hands and I still have a fair bit, but the Linn stuff has always stayed and featured in my main system.
The Meridian 507 is a stunning piece of kit, really gorgeous sounding thing, and if I didn’t already have the Ikemi, I’d have slotted it into the Linn system and thought no more about CD players. I’d have put it with my Naim Nait 5i because it is ultimately a better player than the CD 5i, but I do love the matching aesthetics of the Naim boxes. That makes the Meridian kind of homeless… but the thought of parting with it breaks my heart.

I can’t say I get excited enough about the brand to rush out and buy the latest upgrade every time they release one, but that in part is because I can’t afford to, so I don’t worry about it.

It’s the old but gold Linn gear I love, you don’t have to spend a fortune to put a great system together. The Ikemi has held its value like few other CD players, with them fetching just under half what they cost new, despite being 15+ years old… but it’s a fantastic machine that represented superb value when new, and I’d still argue they’re decent value at around £900 now. The rest of the LK series kit has depreciated more sharply, but it’s still excellent and represents great VFM used. I’ve had a large cross section of kit from other brands through my hands and I still have a fair bit, but the Linn stuff has always stayed and featured in my main system.
The Meridian 507 is a stunning piece of kit, really gorgeous sounding thing, and if I didn’t already have the Ikemi, I’d have slotted it into the Linn system and thought no more about CD players. I’d have put it with my Naim Nait 5i because it is ultimately a better player than the CD 5i, but I do love the matching aesthetics of the Naim boxes. That makes the Meridian kind of homeless… but the thought of parting with it breaks my heart.

I can’t say I get excited enough about the brand to rush out and buy the latest upgrade every time they release one, but that in part is because I can’t afford to, so I don’t worry about it.
My FIL used to have Meridian and really reckoned it. I do like the look of it. I’m currently deciding whether my Rotel sounds best through the Yamaha or with its own Dac. It’s tipping either way at the moment.

Great thread idea Del!!
My turn:
I'm Darren and I'm an audiophile. I enjoy the kit as much as the music. That's why I hang out on a hifi forum.
Starting a new home in my early fifties... my budget is limited because my old wreck of place needs everything doing to it.
My objectives are :
* To have a 'live' sound - something bold and clear, not overly refined, but detailed and dynamic. A sound that arouses my emotions, not sends me to sleep.
* To be able to include some of the kit I wanted decades ago but couldn't afford.
* To have a full range system - one that goes low into the bass and high beyond the limit of my hearing.
* To have beautiful vocal reproduction and a strong stereo image.
* To have lots and lots of Audio fun. To move things around, try different cables, different combinations, to improve as I go.
* To never spend an amount of money that causes me any stress or concern. I have no interest in 'investment hifi'

Yea..... I want it all.... cant afford it... but want it. It's a journey and I'm enjoying it.

Speakers:
Magneplanar .6QR Not my first pair of Maggies but my best. Oak trim, cream cloth. Large and imposing - the way real speakers should be. Way out into the room. The first time I heard Maggies I could tell something was missing - the lack of a cabinet singing along was immediately obvious. Maggies create an expansive sound stage and easily fill a large room with sound. I wish I could afford larger ones.

Subwoofers:
I'm a huge REL fan. A sub is, for me, a great value upgrade when correctly integrated. I found a REL R-205 to be easy to integrate with the Maggies, so, like a fool, I bought another..... Gosh! integrating two subs is a Bugger of a job. They seem to activate the room modes in a way that one just didn't - I'm getting there and its fun.... but not as easy as REL would have you believe. When its good... its very good.

Power amp:
a NOS Yamaha mosfet professional amp - Big, fan cooled and powerful. Drives the Maggies to any level and has cool leds on the front too. I also have a pair of Musical Fidelity P150s awaiting Jez Arkless services. I do love old Musical Fidelity kit.....

Pre-amp:
A Musical Fidelity Pre amp 8 - mirrored front, waffle top case. Serviced by Jezzer who treated me fairly ands served me promptly. Love the look of this. But would like an ARC SP16 or something. We will see - I kinda miss valves in my system.

Sources:
I have a FIT PC running Daphile as a music server - I control it via my tablet - amazing value and great sound. I also have a vintage Mission PCM 7000 CD Player bought on vintage whim and a modern Marantz I use as a transport. Streamer wise a Google Chromecast Audio has given way to Primare NP5..... I'm not convinced it sounds any different - but its early days. The CCA has to be one of the audio bargains of the century.

DAC:
The Soncoz SGD1 is the heart of my system. All the digital sources are fed through it - I bought it new from Keith at Purite and I really rate it. The Soncoz was a great, very audible upgrade and Keith gives very good service - I'd buy from him again in an instant.

Cables:
The Van Den Hul cables have always interested me - especially the ones with the carbon conductors. I've slowly accumulated an all Van den Hul cable loom which adds an extra 2% to my system's performance I figure. It's not make or break.... but I can hear the benefits. You think I'm imagining it? I'm cool with that.

Things I want but cant (yet) afford:
Bigger Maggies!! or a pair of Quad 989
An ARC pre amp
A Krell KSA 80
A high end Audio Note Dac.
A snog with the Borg Queen.
How do you find the Soncoz Darren ? I got a Hiface through Keith a few years ago. Very nice to deal with. My FIL also visited him and loved his kit. Good, genuine guy with a real love for hifi and music.

My FIL used to have Meridian and really reckoned it. I do like the look of it. I’m currently deciding whether my Rotel sounds best through the Yamaha or with its own Dac. It’s tipping either way at the moment.
Your Rotel is a superb player, I had one years ago and loved it. My cousin does have one in his system with a Yamaha amp and Dali Zensor 7 speakers, sounds excellent.

Your Rotel is a superb player, I had one years ago and loved it. My cousin does have one in his system with a Yamaha amp and Dali Zensor 7 speakers, sounds excellent.
Can’t quite believe how much they can be picked up for. I saw a good condition one in Cash Converters last year for £35. Should have got it as a back up. It’s great quality and solidly built.

and those overblown recordings just sound punchy and rhythmic on this system. It might be because it’s simply more bandwidth limited than the Linn system, but it works.

Yea linnfo..... This is a problem I encounter with LoFi tracks - they often have phat bass and its impossible to stop the RELS firing this around the room in resonant waves.... It's fun.... but.....

How do you find the Soncoz Darren ? I got a Hiface through Keith a few years ago. Very nice to deal with. My FIL also visited him and loved his kit. Good, genuine guy with a real love for hifi and music.
It was a 'wow' moment when I first played it Del - You could hear the positive difference very clearly when compared to the Marantz cd player's built in DAC. The Soncoz is far more 'vivid'

Yea linnfo..... This is a problem I encounter with LoFi tracks - they often have phat bass and its impossible to stop the RELS firing this around the room in resonant waves.... It's fun.... but.....
Fun but….tiresome. The Naim system fixes this, it can really boogie without being tiresome.

Can’t quite believe how much they can be picked up for. I saw a good condition one in Cash Converters last year for £35. Should have got it as a back up. It’s great quality and solidly built.
They vary, the certainly can be picked up for the price of an Indian takeaway if you keep your eyes open, I’ve seen them sell for over £150, which is totally reasonable, not much to better them for that money.

Well, I have a few bits that are non-commercial/custom made so the review might not be super useful but here we go :

System 1 :

Naim CD5XS, Supernait used as a preamp, Hicap, NAP 250.2 and custom made small isobaric monitors similar to the Neat.

Installed in a small room with a few sound treatment panels that makes diffraction of the sound rather than absorbing it.

One word best describes it : it really rocks ! The woofers are 6 1/2" but when you crank it up a bit, you feel the chest pressure of a 15" driver but without the lack of speed sometimes associated to it.

In all honesty, if you need a smooth liquid medium, you have to look somewhere else as the 2 way isobaric can’t achieve that although it’s good enough for rock and blues music. Each electric bass note is separate and delivered with a lot of punch and for me, that was the goal so very satisfied. Overall, this is a non-fatiguing system for very long listening sessions so might suit many different users as well.

System 2 :

Marantz 6006 CD player used as a transport, highly modified Chinese DAC based on AK 44xx chip, Treshold Fet Two preamp, Naim NAP 110 and custom made floor standers with SB 29 mm soft dome tweeter and carbon/rohacell 6 1/2" woofer in a 1.0 cu ft enclosure with 1" thick hdf walls all around.

This kit is very close to my perfect absolute idea of what music should sound like.

Bass is deep and always under control, medium is very very good but not as much as a little LS 3/5A from let’s say Sterling or Graham and the treble is almost perfect to my ears, very detailed without being harsh.

The source and preamp will probably stay but the amplifier might get replaced by a Musical Fidelity P170 I just refurbished as it seems to have as much PRAT as the 110 but more tuneful and softer on the ear with a more natural medium in the human voices area.

My custom floor standers really need a quick and punchy amp otherwise they sound a bit slow and flabby on bass notes. Large Bryston amps are to be avoided with them. I had many many different speakers in my hi-fi journey (35 years !) and these speakers will stay.

Getting close to my best of the best with this set.

Well, I have a few bits that are non-commercial/custom made so the review might not be super useful but here we go :

System 1 :

Naim CD5XS, Supernait used as a preamp, Hicap, NAP 250.2 and custom made small isobaric monitors similar to the Neat.

Installed in a small room with a few sound treatment panels that makes diffraction of the sound rather than absorbing it.

One word best describes it : it really rocks ! The woofers are 6 1/2" but when you crank it up a bit, you feel the chest pressure of a 15" driver but without the lack of speed sometimes associated to it.

In all honesty, if you need a smooth liquid medium, you have to look somewhere else as the 2 way isobaric can’t achieve that although it’s good enough for rock and blues music. Each electric bass note is separate and delivered with a lot of punch and for me, that was the goal so very satisfied. Overall, this is a non-fatiguing system for very long listening sessions so might suit many different users as well.

System 2 :

Marantz 6006 CD player used as a transport, highly modified Chinese DAC based on AK 44xx chip, Treshold Fet Two preamp, Naim NAP 110 and custom made floor standers with SB 29 mm soft dome tweeter and carbon/rohacell 6 1/2" woofer in a 1.0 cu ft enclosure with 1" thick hdf walls all around.

This kit is very close to my perfect absolute idea of what music should sound like.

Bass is deep and always under control, medium is very very good but not as much as a little LS 3/5A from let’s say Sterling or Graham and the treble is almost perfect to my ears, very detailed without being harsh.

The source and preamp will probably stay but the amplifier might get replaced by a Musical Fidelity P170 I just refurbished as it seems to have as much PRAT as the 110 but more tuneful and softer on the ear with a more natural medium in the human voices area.

My custom floor standers really need a quick and punchy amp otherwise they sound a bit slow and flabby on bass notes. Large Bryston amps are to be avoided with them. I had many many different speakers in my hi-fi journey (35 years !) and these speakers will stay.

Getting close to my best of the best with this set.
The Marantz players appear to have garnered a good reputation for well made, vfm machines. Great to hear your review and your ideas about what good sound is for you.

Noooooooooo
Always fancied trying one of those MF super chargers.

advertisement

Back