advertisement

System Reviews-Why I love my own system

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Encouraged by Darren and with a view to starting our own reviews thread I’ve tried to put down a few words about why I love my own system. I want to avoid any notion that I am ‘raving about what I have and want everybody to buy it.’ It’s more a personal reflection of my love for my hifi and what I hear that makes me respond to it. We are all after different things and our tastes in music and sound are all very different.

I’m using Darren’s suggested structure as a guide and I hope this will give some structure to what I write.

Objectives

My love for classical music and the voice comes from my early childhood, listening to my grandmother’s stereo. I think it was Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf that engaged me first. It showed me how an orchestra could evoke so many feelings and emotions, not only in the music but in me. In an era of Showaddywaddy and Shakin Stevens, it was something different and more vital to listen to.

So my objectives in putting together my own system have been based on an overall aim to re-invoke those initial feelings of fear, delight and enthralment that moved me so much when I first heard my grandmother’s recording. It’s elemental for me.

After years of scrambling around, often clumsily and naively, I’ve finally set upon those qualities that make the music I love come alive and I can sum them up in the following aspirations or objectives.

I’ve never had much money to invest in my hifi. Much of it has comes through gifts and the second hand market. Periods of financial challenge and also unemployment have sharpened my abilities and necessity to be creative.But I love striking a deal on used gear.

Objectives wise, I want a system with:

• Transparency- I love to hear through the layers of music, avoiding any thickening of sound
  • Soundstage- I love a wide and deep soundstage the envelopes me with music, washing around me
  • Warmth- I love a little warmth.Not too much but enough to give the the cello a burnished and golden voice
  • Immediacy- the feeling that the voice is in the room with you, so much so that you can visualise the facial expression as they sing
  • Bass- when I plumped for the Maggies I did realise that I wanted a touch more bass presence to underpin those rosin notes
  • Detail- Enough mid range detail to follow the subtleties of those individual instrumental lines
  • Neutrality- I wanted a sound with a ‘warm’ neutrality

My current system comprises:

Amplifier
Yamaha 803D

Speakers
Maggie LRS

Turntable
Thorens TD166 mk. 2 with an Ortofon VMS20e
Rotel RQ 970BX

Cd
Rotel 965BX

Tuner
Creek Audio T40

Cassette Deck
Marantz SD 35(my first ever purchase)

Streaming
Yamaha 803D
Pi3b with HifiBerry Digihat and LMS
Tidal hi fi

Cables
Amazon Basics and Van Damme

Headphones
Rega Ear
AKG K92

Subwoofer
Rel T5i

My overall aim is to at least touch on the objectives I listed above but to also settle on a system I can just listen to without an urge to change or upgrade. After a prolonged transition, I believe I am there. I want to get to a place where I just listen to the music, not the equipment.

What I love about what I have and what I would change

When I became unemployed and was ill for a time, I decided to re-evaluate some things.Myself,my health and my music prime amongst this. I thought that Music would be a great vehicle to accomplish the other personal objectives I had gathered. Like my own life, my equipment was a bit ‘everywhere’. I decided to really focus on what I wanted and needed from the passion I had for classical.

My Yamaha 803D was a real find. I had fallen for it some months earlier but the money was prohibitive for me. Selling my original gear was my masterstroke. It firstly and most importantly allowed some well needed income but also gave me the freedom to rebuild.The Yamaha is the real cornerstone of my system.As a straight forward analogue amp it is very capable. But it also has the digital section. The sound it on the warm side of neutral which really suits my objectives. The internal amp is detailed with some warmth and is very capable. Crucially, there is enough high current to power my Maggies.

My speakers are Magnepan LRS speakers. I think these are a little miracle. The soundstage and transparency often take my breath away. With the REL sub they are a lovely way in to the music. You can hear the depth of the concert hall, the click of the bow on the wood and the click of the tongue in the vocals. My best purchase and something that will inevitability lead me towards being a life long Maggie lover.

My Rotels hark back to my youth. They were always pieces I lusted after but life got in the way. I now have them and they add to my enjoyment.

I love FM. It’s warmth and burnished beauty see me through my early Saturday mornings. My recent Creek is another surprise. It’s just right.Clarity and detail with some warmth.

Now to my turntable. This was a surprise. A kind generous gift when I was at a low ebb. It’s lovely and fits so well with the make up of my other gear. It has similar qualities to my tuner and the purchase of my vintage Ortofon was a great fit.

The Marantz cassette deck is there for nostalgia. It came with my very first 2nd hand system bought some 30 years ago. It sounds nice too!

Raspberry Pi and it’s musical abilities are well known and I just love mine. It gives me access to all sorts of goodies and for so little cost. With LMS I can access Paradise FLAC and BBC Sounds to my hearts content. Like my LRS they are a little Wonder. All goes through my Sabre Dac.

Lastly, I completed my set up with a Rega Ear and AKG headphones. The sound is ‘just right’ and fits in well.

What I would do differently?

Well, my objective is to have a system I can just live with.I believe I have achieved this now. Perhaps I might upgrade my headphones at some later stage but there’s no immediate urge to do this. But then again this was my overall aim.

What I can say is that this whole journey has reinvigorated my love for music. It has also reinvigorated my health and my outlook on life.

Well. That’s my review and I hope it stimulates others to share their own reviews. I also hope that it is seen a very personal perspective that isn’t about crowing or raving.

Last edited:
Lovely to see a system which is not off into the stratosphere... full of DCS Bartoks etc. I'd much rather read about real word equipment that gives a lot of pleasure to the user. Once my gear is out of storage, I'll do a review too.
Looking forward to your review.

Nice read, I like your list of system objectives as I think it's quite similar to how I'd describe mine. Sometimes I think I'm quite close to achieving it, but other times less so.

I'm especially interested in your feelings about the 803D as I've been looking at various offerings from Yamaha and am amazed by what they pack into that model. I'd been looking for something a lot more compact but keep finding myself looking at that model and thinking that if offers everything I could possibly want.

Superb review Del really enjoyed reading it.
Especially on your Maggie LRS's .....the last 6 years I have really been loving classical more and more and discovering new composers building up the collection on vinyl and CD's has been a real joy.
Just taken delivery on some Maggie 1.7I's haven't unboxed them yet so my classical listening is going to go right up a level - That I have no doubt.You must adore your LRS with classical.
Wishing you a fine weekend @ Enjoy your music

Nice read, I like your list of system objectives as I think it's quite similar to how I'd describe mine. Sometimes I think I'm quite close to achieving it, but other times less so.

I'm especially interested in your feelings about the 803D as I've been looking at various offerings from Yamaha and am amazed by what they pack into that model. I'd been looking for something a lot more compact but keep finding myself looking at that model and thinking that if offers everything I could possibly want.

I love the 803D. A great buy at its significantly reduced priced. All the all in-one-you need really and it just lets the music play. Perfect for me and my situation at the time and perfect for me now. Might not be for you but no harm in trying.

Especially on your Maggie LRS's .....the last 6 years I have really been loving classical more and more and discovering new composers building up the collection on vinyl and CD's has been a real joy.
Just taken delivery on some Maggie 1.7I's haven't unboxed them yet so my classical listening is going to go right up a level - That I have no doubt.You must adore your LRS with classical.
Thanks. Those 1.7s should be something. Supposed to be a bit of a sweet spot. I suppose if I did want to change something it would be more high current delivery as the general view is that the speakers will open up more. You must let us know how those 1.7s sound.

Here you go : those panels are simply wonderful for classical music with huge sound stage and let you hear the tiny triangle sound through the whole orchestra with bass drum and timbales without having to concentrate on it. You will enjoy, no doubt.

Your Hi Fi journey is an inspiring example of triumph over adversity, and proves that a well-thought out system can be achieved with real-world finances. 'Bigger' and 'more expensive' do not necessarily equate to 'better'.

Your post has definitely raised my spirits this morning.

Your Hi Fi journey is an inspiring example of triumph over adversity, and proves that a well-thought out system can be achieved with real-world finances. 'Bigger' and 'more expensive' do not necessarily equate to 'better'.

Your post has definitely raised my spirits this morning.
I’m glad it has. One of my aims in life now is to be as positive as I can in every aspect of my life. It’s helping me negotiate my new job role, make new friends and garner positivity around myself. This is energising. I am a public servant and will never be able to enter the hi end world so I’ve got to be astute. Most of my buys come from recommendations on this forum. And real world is where it’s at!

Anyone going to add their own review?

I’ll try at least to get the basic thinking across, though a proper review may be beyond me.

Basic requirement: not to irritate me on anything within an increasingly wide and diverse musical taste. I really do like a bit of everything; jazz, classical, the more leftfield reaches of rock, dub reggae, electronica etc. I don’t fit in any specific box as a music consumer and I need a system that does the same.

History: I started as a rock/prog/early electronica (Kraftwerk/TD etc) fan, moved into new-wave and indie, but didn’t venture too far from that until I found jazz and minimalism in the mid to late ‘80s. I went down the Linn/Naim path which certainly suited the rock stuff, but I felt was increasingly limiting for more acoustic and outlying forms. It started choosing my music for me to some degree. This is really significant as it is exactly what I don’t want a system to do!

Current: I’m not convinced I can live with a single system, so I’ve ended up with more than two, though only two setup (I’m not counting the TV rig in this, that is its own thing). Conceptually I’ve ended up with the studio main-monitor rig and a much smaller nearfield system, and between the two I’m happy. I have very little music that doesn’t sound great on at least one of them, a lot works great on both each bringing a different perspective:

#1 TD-124/3009/MP-500, Apollo-R/PDM3, Verdier Control B/303, 15” Monitor Golds in 1960s Lockwood Universal Major cabs. Big effortless sound, easy, dynamic, ‘real’, but far from the last word in detail or accuracy. Move too far towards modern bass-hyped and brickwalled digital ‘small speaker/earbud’ production (rap, pop etc) and it can sound like the boot of a drug dealer’s BMW. On a good recording of any genre it sounds superb, but I’d describe it as a ‘broad brush’ rather than a detail-squinter’s system, though it will certainly highlight recording issues as one would expect given its monitor heritage. It gets the architecture and intent right, it is great fun, has good timing, and is one of very few systems I’ve ever heard that can do a bass guitar and kick drum that actually sounds something like the real thing rather than a lean, dry, sterile or boomy 1/4 scale replica, but if you want to hear a pin drop extreme stage left it likely isn’t for you.

#2 Marantz SA8005, Audio Synthesis ProPassion and either Pass Aleph 3 & JR149s or Leak TL12 Plus & LS3/5As: The polar opposite to the above. Astonishingly clear and three-dimensional mini-monitor rig that highlights exactly what is on the recording, really amazing levels of detail and insight. Like listening to really good headphones, but with a natural wide and deep soundstage. It obviously has bass extension, volume and dynamic limitations, but nothing that irritates with most material. It certainly favours good recordings, but is not genre-biased, it is just as happy with electronica as a string quartet.

I’ve tried many times over the years to find something between the two systems conceptually, but for me the stuff in the middle is just too much of a compromise. I’ve yet to hear anything that gets close to what a really big speaker system does from a scale, ease and dynamic perspective, nor do the really immersive thing really good minis can do in the nearfield. This is certainly the most ‘at ease’ I’ve ever been in 45 years as an audiophile, I am currently content with this dual perspective on things and I don’t view either system as being more/less significant than the other. They are two sides of the exact same thing. Just a different vantage point.

PS Both sound really good at low level, which is very significant to me. Even if I had no neighbours I would not choose to listen louder than I do (typically 75db average with transient peaks into the 90s).

Thanks Tony. That’s great stuff. You appear to have so much gear, I thought it may be difficult to write a review.But here you are!That Marantz looks like an interesting proposition.

That Marantz looks like an interesting proposition.

It is a really nice player IMO, plus it seems very happy driving a passive preamp. I brought the Rega/DPA PDM3 up earlier in the week and preferred the Marantz in this context, it just sounded more dynamic and open (which I suspect is suitability to the passive pre, not qualitative given the retail price of the DPA). It wasn’t expensive either, I think just over £500 from Superfi or one of the online box-shifters about 5 years ago. I hope it proves long-term reliable/serviceable.

Here goes...

Rega P6 plus Neo PSU > Rega Fono MM > Naim Atom > Restored Tannoy Cheviots

Aim: Simple to use and great sounding system

Music: Mono 50s jazz, indie, electronic on LP, Apple iTunes to stream, Spotify.

Results: The change from MkI Kans to the Cheviots was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Like Tony we don't drive the system very loud but the Tannoys do give a great sound stage and I'm still hearing new things from records that have owned for over 50 years.

advertisement

Back