advertisement

Just a left side view of my modest, little system so far...
Bluesound Node, Rega IO, Dali Oberon 1's. (hope to add a better dac, and maybe also a turntable in 2023)

systempics-18-12.jpg

I've got the same amp and speakers in the same oak/white finish. Really like the speaker stands, I bought the matching Dali ones but yours look a lot nicer. I have a raspberry pi with volumio going into my dac but have looked at the bluesound node a few times. You happy with your speakers or can you see yourself upgrading in time? In hindsight I wish I bought the next size up, the Oberon 3.

I've got the same amp and speakers in the same oak/white finish. Really like the speaker stands, I bought the matching Dali ones but yours look a lot nicer.
Thank you, Wilson. I chose these Solidsteel SS-6 stands, for their looks and quality, but also the fact that it's an open-frame and tripod design, which automatically makes them more stable and easier to level. Their price may seem a bit unbalanced, in relation to the Dali speakers. (the stands cost more than the speakers) but then again... if I decide to upgrade my speakers in the near future, the stands can stay as they probably won't be the limiting factor.

You happy with your speakers or can you see yourself upgrading in time ?
Yes, I'm quite happy with the Oberon 1's. I'm surprised by the quality of the fake oak-veneer and sonically I also think they're great VFM. (open/transparent, clear and detailed) Still,...I'm aware that they're a budget speaker and I can see myself upgrading in time.

May I ask what dac you are using ?

Last edited:
Took the base off my Audion 300B SET amp. It’s been suggested I snip out the cathode bypass caps to reduce the gain for my Klipsch Cornwalls. Turns out it’s a bit tricker than that and I’ll need a soldering iron to do it. Anyway, here’s a few shots:

HmbYWXy.jpg

U8rwyjS.jpg

I have to say, the point to point wiring and component placement looks absolutely dire in these photos. Hot glue!??! Globs of solder!??? I certainly hope it sounds better than it looks internally.

Thank you, Wilson. I chose these Solidsteel SS-6 stands, for their looks and quality, but also the fact that it's an open-frame and tripod design, which automatically makes them more stable and easier to level. Their price may seem a bit unbalanced, in relation to the Dali speakers. (the stands cost more than the speakers) but then again... if I decide to upgrade my speakers in the near future, the stands can stay as they probably won't be the limiting factor.

Yes, I'm quite happy with the Oberon 1's. I'm surprised by the quality of the fake oak-veneer and sonically I also think they're great VFM. (open/transparent, clear and detailed) Still,...I'm aware that they're a budget speaker and I can see myself upgrading in time.

May I ask what dac you are using ?

I started with a Cambridge audio dacmagic 100 then changed to a topping e30. A few months ago I bought the ifi zen dac v2 as it doubles as a headphone amp, and I also fancied trying mqa through tidal.

I honestly can't say I notice much if any difference between them sound wise though.

Who gives a flying when you have such a large collection of records. Anybody with an ounce of contemporary attitude doesn’t even send Xmas cards these days, Enjoy the music.

Nice. I personally would probably try and fit the Hifi in the nice cupboard.

Not an option - the amp is about twice the depth of the cupboard and runs very hot so needs clear air. I think it’s fine, and it’s an office anyway, so making the hifi discrete really isn’t a priority.

How do they sound? Only initial impressions so far - I imagine it will take a little while for me to really acclimatise and the sound may well develop as they’re run in.

So far I’d say they’re extremely insightful, even handed, and engaging, whilst at the same time sounding totally at ease,
not drawing attention or exaggerated in any respect. I’m pretty confident that I’ll find them to be the most capable (accurate and highly resolving) and also enjoyable speakers I’ve owned.

One remarkable thing is that they’re properly full bodied - the most solid, deep and nuanced/insightful bass and mid-bass I’ve heard from any speaker at home. On that front they trounce every other 2-way I’ve owned, but also best the ATC SCM40As I spent 6-7 years with. Dynaudio have a reputation for big bass from small boxes, but IME the lesser models can sound overblown and indistinct especially if matched poorly with the room - definitely not the case here.

advertisement

Back