advertisement

Your room looks great, very nice! How are the Totems working out with the Lindemann?

Cheers Tim! Honestly, I’m delighted with the set up. I’ve owned Totems before (Sttaf, Arro and Forrest) and whilst I’ve enjoyed them all, they all sounded quite different to me, no house sound per se, so I wasn’t sure what version of Totems I’d be getting with the Embers. Luckily for me they suit the Musicbook set, and the room, really well. Just the right about of bass without overwhelming the space, and they image high and wide. This set up sounds good at low volume too, which is a massive bonus. I’d assumed I’d be leaving that benefit behind when I moved away from valves and high sensitivity speakers.

I’ve only been set up a couple of days but there’s been plenty of goosebumps moments already. I’m really really happy.

Excellent result then, very happy for you, the room and the system as well! I haven’t heard the Embers, they have always intrigued me though, and certainly look nice.

Enjoy your music, and happy holidays to you and yours!

Ladies and gentlemen … we have a music room!

Kallax Rules OK

52569208710_a9faa62ce5_z.jpg

I really do need to sort my room out. Want to replace the adjoining doors with sliders & get some custom floor to ceiling units, then paint & decorate.

Very nice! I could imagine that the wife would be thrilled to help get those speakers out of the box:)
What is the rest of the system please?

I remember a great cottage hifi industry in Australia when I was there. I used to own VAF research speakers which were superb. They only weighed a modest 65kg each.

Hi Andrew, thanks for your reply; whereabouts in Australia were you? I lived in WA, then Victoria (Melbourne). Visited every state except the NT.

There are some great homegrown Aussie brands i discovered whilst out there, Osborn being one. VAF impressed me at the show, i did consider a pair of those as well.

The legend goes I went to the Melbourne hifi show (pre-Covid) and booked onto the Raidho demo (too posh to just walk in, naturally); they had a ~$300k set up, using their Aavik integrated and it sounded good. I then randomly wandered into the Osborn room afterwards and found myself shocked I was preferring the sound in this room. Of course equipment matters, as does acoustics, material being played etc etc, but it left an impression.

A couple of years later, i pulled the trigger and haven't looked back.

The other equipment is:

Monos: LDA P6 200w into 8 ohm (First 20w class A).

Pre: Music First Audio mk.2 copper transformer.

DAC: LDA VDT1 (Oldest component in the system, will fettle, not replace).

Source: custom pc with no stone left unturned (upgraded three clocks, linear PSU from Paul Hynes (SR4) etc).

Mains: Holton (another Australian brand) DC blocker and Isotek Aquarius evo 3.

All cables are schuko (where legal) and Coherent 6D.

A few tweaks here and there over the system.

Hi Andrew, thanks for your reply; whereabouts in Australia were you? I lived in WA, then Victoria (Melbourne). Visited every state except the NT.

There are some great homegrown Aussie brands i discovered whilst out there, Osborn being one. VAF impressed me at the show, i did consider a pair of those as well.

The legend goes I went to the Melbourne hifi show (pre-Covid) and booked onto the Raidho demo (too posh to just walk in, naturally); they had a ~$300k set up, using their Aavik integrated and it sounded good. I then randomly wandered into the Osborn room afterwards and found myself shocked I was preferring the sound in this room. Of course equipment matters, as does acoustics, material being played etc etc, but it left an impression.

A couple of years later, i pulled the trigger and haven't looked back.

The other equipment is:

Monos: LDA P6 200w into 8 ohm (First 20w class A).

Pre: Music First Audio mk.2 copper transformer.

DAC: LDA VDT1 (Oldest component in the system, will fettle, not replace).

Source: custom pc with no stone left unturned (upgraded three clocks, linear PSU from Paul Hynes (SR4) etc).

Mains: Holton (another Australian brand) DC blocker and Isotek Aquarius evo 3.

All cables are schuko (where legal) and Coherent 6D.

A few tweaks here and there over the system.

I have lived in Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. When I was in Adelaide I met a hifi enthusiast at work who mentioned VAF research. VAF were Adelaide based and they had a showroom close to where I lived. The designer used to work for John Dunlavy who made Duntech speakers, which had a huge reputation and sold for crazy money.
A pair of I66 signatures turned up used and I enjoyed these for a number of years. There’s probably no reason why these couldn’t have been my speakers for life, but I wanted to try other things.

advertisement

Back