advertisement

I'd love to know what makes DAADs so powerful that only a few are seemingly required to effectively treat a listening room. Or is it perhaps the fact that they're so expensive that users can only afford to buy a few of them? ;) I tried to glean some meaningful information from the manufacturer's website but am not much the wiser, a few details have evidently been lost in translation:

https://www.acusticaapplicata.com/daad.php
Well, Stephen at Audio Consultants advices 5/6 as a minimum to start with, to give some idea on what's possible. Then it can get quite expensive ( ha ) 8/ 10 for
example costing around 4.8 - 7 k. There s plenty of explanations on his website. He thinks products from other manufacturers makes the sound a bit "dull ".
But I find the big bass traps from gik suits my tastes, less shrill, more body to vocals and giving a much quieter room.

You should give TAD CR1's a listen! On paper, they go down to 32Hz, but possess a very special bass quality! I had Avalon Indras for eight years and they excelled on most genres, but didn't possess the mid-bass punch that made rock come alive. I auditioned bigger Avalons (Compass) and Estelon XA's, but found everything I was looking for in the TAD CR1 MKII, which for me, was a surprise, because I had always owned floor standers!

I do not have dedicated mains (house was built in 2013) but according to Tony's measurements on the day, average voltage was 233V, which is good in my

As I went from ProaC Response Fours (133 kg each) to ESLs (Quad 2905s), I 'lost' quite a bit of bass slam, but the transparency and natural musicality of the ESLs did atone for this. Notwithstanding this, as I was a bass freak, my 2095s go down to 34 Hertz (but +/- 6 dB !!!). Doubt I could make another transition at my time of life.;). The only Avalons I've heard are the Eidolons; I don't know the other models.

Dedicated mains is nothing to do with the voltage and with such a new house, there's unlikely to be problems unless you're on overhead feed and situated in the wild. Having dedicated radials , as I have, is controversial, but not an expensive upgrade, depending on what kind of kit you have. I went from (then) top Naim to the dark side of valves and ESLs (incl. CDP). Biggest hifi change in 55 years of decent kit.

We have a new building on the Edinburgh skyline that looks similar:
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...as-a-poo-emoji-arrived-on-edinburghs-skyline?

That's nothing. Have you see the Asahi Beer Hall in Tokyo?

ja-to_1.jpg

@Ptah pretty much my dream speaker. Sadly my wife has yet to be sold on their charms - even though, as the photo demonstrates, they double up as tasteful and discrete plant stands.
But even that plant is leaning away from the HF unit! Nice to see some speakers put at an angle to the room - recommended, but not very partner-friendly. I reckon they sound more like headphones with that seating position

The Croft 25 & Leak Stereo 20 have taken the place of the Leben phono & integrated and settled in really well. The trouble with spending so much on hi-fi and vinyl is I never get round to sorting out the work that needs doing from the damp rods being put in last year. Oh well, it sounds great in this room even if it looks a mess!

Horace Parlan - Speakin’ My Piece (Music Matters 33rpm)

OJ2zfCY.jpg

advertisement

Back