advertisement

Latest - and hopefully final - iteration of my system.

PTP Solid 9 turntable with Audio Origami PU7 arm, Ortofon Windfeld Ti cartridge and Collaro Tempest mat
Rega P8 with re-wired RB2000 arm and Nagaoka MP500
Nagra HD Dac (upgraded to Tube Dac) and Nagra VPS phono stage, both powered by Nagra Classic PSU
EAR 868PL preamp
Pass Labs XA25 power amp
EAR HP4 headphone amp
Final Audio D8000 Pro headphones
Bricasti M5 streamer
EAR MC4 step up transformer
EtherRegen switch
Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers
Moon Audio Black Dragon cables throughout

IMG-6205.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg
Ooooh, Nagra… gonna have to add that to my list in the “Gear you love the look of” thread, that’s ultra cool!

Really nice systems around here. But I really like this one and the space. And those speakers!

Agreed, this system deserves a better turntable but I do not underestimate DJ-oriented turntables in any way. For instance I am very impressed with the Technics 1200mk2 for its sound, ease of use, price and just the overall built quality.

Numark Pro TT-2 + Shure M55E
Sony CDP-XB930
Croft Phono Integrated
Altec 9842
Assorted household clutter

Plan for this year: better turntable.

i7q70Nt.jpg

Current System in 2022

Linn LP-12 with HiFi Guru Plinth, HiFi Guru laminated top plate, Stack Audio sub-chassis, Ittok Mk-3, DV-XV1s
Dynavector P-75 Mk-4 (un used TW-Acoustic Tube MC phono pre) P-75 sounds better.
Roon Server and 16TB NAS (full 14,000 albums)
DAC DEQX HDP-5
DEQX HDP-5 Pre-amp speaker correction / DSP linear phase 3-way crossover.
DEQX HDP-4 4th way digital crossover (slave to HDP-5)
DIY Zero global feedback class AB amplifiers 90w for midrange 3" & Tweeter 1"
DIY Zero global feedback class AB amplifiers 180w Mid / Bass 6.5" Isobaric
NHT XD Bass units 2 x 12' in each x2 500w class D
Speakers DIY fully active 4-way.

system.jpg

Looks like a very interesting system Alan where did you get the NHT subs? did you have an XD system before?

My 2022 bedroom system comprising of my freshly built prototype open baffle speaker driven by a reisong A10 valve amp & ripole open baffle subs driven by 800w class d. Crossovers and & dsp via minidsp 2x4hd

Bedroom system?

Really nice systems around here. But I really like this one and the space. And those speakers!

Agreed, this system deserves a better turntable but I do not underestimate DJ-oriented turntables in any way. For instance I am very impressed with the Technics 1200mk2 for its sound, ease of use, price and just the overall built quality.

Thanks!

The Numark is one of the better Hanpin 'Super OEM' jobs I think, and it's handy that it can play 78s. 1210 mk2 is on my list though ;-)

Looks like a very interesting system Alan where did you get the NHT subs? did you have an XD system before?

The NHT XD were from our R&D design when we were working with NHT before they went under and the original owners regained control. XD's require DSP to extend the bass down to 20Hz and they were designed to have very low distortion too about 200Hz (150Hz archived). They also don't have any subwoofer controls i.e no low pass passive filters, just level control and balance input for the Power Physics amplifiers. Ultra fast with the sealed enclosure and twin 12" long Throw alloy drivers.

I cross them over between 85Hz -130Hz depends on room size.

I nearly bought an set of the Xd NHT's (i have the NHT Evolutions) as my friend was importing them (Elan UK) and i know they also did a fair amount of the work on the amp/crossover that came with the Xd's. What type/slope of crossover filter do you use on the low pass to the sub amps?
What are your DIY speakers they look great, they remind me of another design? are they infinite baffle to match with the subs? hope you don't mind me asking :)

Latest - and hopefully final - iteration of my system.

PTP Solid 9 turntable with Audio Origami PU7 arm, Ortofon Windfeld Ti cartridge and Collaro Tempest mat
Rega P8 with re-wired RB2000 arm and Nagaoka MP500
Nagra HD Dac (upgraded to Tube Dac) and Nagra VPS phono stage, both powered by Nagra Classic PSU
EAR 868PL preamp
Pass Labs XA25 power amp
EAR HP4 headphone amp
Final Audio D8000 Pro headphones
Bricasti M5 streamer
EAR MC4 step up transformer
EtherRegen switch
Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers
Moon Audio Black Dragon cables throughout

IMG-6205.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

How do the Dyns compare to the Neats?

My 2022 bedroom system comprising of my freshly built prototype open baffle speaker driven by a reisong A10 valve amp & ripole open baffle subs driven by 800w class d. Crossovers and & dsp via minidsp 2x4hd

Love the look. Do they sound OK? :)

How do the Dyns compare to the Neats?

I'm still dialling the Dyns in after having them for a week but so far they are very good. They are clearly better than the Neats in all the audiophile criteria - they sound bigger, more detailed, more resolving, more three dimensional, deeper bass, incredible dynamics. Given they are twice the price of the Neats - even more with the stands - they certainly should sound better. They do need to be played a bit louder than my usual listening levels to sound their best, and also need heavy stands and careful positioning.

But I haven't sold the Neats and still compare them with the Dyns from time to time. Going back to the Neats they sound smaller, slightly congested and a bit warmer and more coloured ... and yet after a few minutes that is quickly forgotten as you get involved in the music. The Ekstras are some of the most engaging and musical speakers I have heard at any price, and do particularly well at low listening levels. They remind me most of the Epos ES14 - fast, fun, engaging, and work well with Exposure/Naim/LFD/Sonneteer etc. I really love these speakers and will almost certainly hang on to them.

I nearly bought an set of the Xd NHT's (i have the NHT Evolutions) as my friend was importing them (Elan UK) and i know they also did a fair amount of the work on the amp/crossover that came with the Xd's. What type/slope of crossover filter do you use on the low pass to the sub amps?
What are your DIY speakers they look great, they remind me of another design? are they infinite baffle to match with the subs? hope you don't mind me asking :)

I've opened a conversation, best we don't fill this cool thread with unwanted conversations.

Great photos of systems this year.

I can’t remember when I posted a photo of my music room last, but everyone seems to have very tidy rooms - my music room looks like a bomb has gone off

C3-AC4155-4-AFC-45-A1-8152-BDD667014014.jpg

you can see The Field, or a bit of it in this pic.

98814208-DFDC-4534-85-E8-135-D79-B56-BD1.jpg

238-D6916-0034-415-C-B71-D-5037-E139-C19-F.jpg

DB5-C3-E76-96-CA-45-E5-A25-D-B25-E79-FF08-A7.jpg

98814208-DFD

Great photos of systems this year.

I can’t remember when I posted a photo of my music room last, but everyone seems to have very tidy rooms - my music room looks like a bomb has gone off

C3-AC4155-4-AFC-45-A1-8152-BDD667014014.jpg

you can see The Field, or a bit of it in this pic.

98814208-DFDC-4534-85-E8-135-D79-B56-BD1.jpg

238-D6916-0034-415-C-B71-D-5037-E139-C19-F.jpg

DB5-C3-E76-96-CA-45-E5-A25-D-B25-E79-FF08-A7.jpg

98814208-DFD
What are the three black boxes in the last pic, they're not subwoofers are they?!

for @ampedup

One Heybrook TT2s deck (cast alloy chassis years before Keel came along for Linn’s :) ) acrylic armboard, offboard Heed/Inspire power supply unit. Origin Live Onyx arm with upgraded wires with an Ortofon 2m Black - homemade 5mm acrylic bottom board which is bright yellow :cool: - this deck leads to an Arkless Turbo phono stage.

One Heybrook TT2 deck, regular chassis, Linn LV X arm with a Goldring 2100 cart. leads to an Arkless 640p phono stage

Amplifier is a Roksan K3 - 70 w. per channel at 8 ohms.

Roksan Blak c.d. player

Arcam Alpha 9 c.d. player modded by Linnfomaniac83 hiding at the bottom on a skateboard.

Van damme speaker cable (I think? I have forgotten to be honest) - Chord interconnects

Tacima mains conditioner blocks x 2

Shelving is microwave mounting ‘L’ brackets (about £15 a pr.) and glass cut to each individual shelf.

Own design marble sandwiches to support the speakers - PMC FB1i’s

Rug from Liberty’s :) in London.

Lots and lots of felt pads supporting everything.

What are the three black boxes in the last pic, they're not subwoofers are they?!

They are my own design record storage boxes on wheels with glass lids, the boxes can be moved to use as a variable size coffee table if required. Basically an Ikea Kallax box with the glass door attachment and lockable wheels - they hold about 70+ albums in each one. The base had to be reinforced to take the weight. They are very useful, I am not sure whether Ikea sell the components anymore to make them (made these about a decade ago )

When there isn’t a pile of records in the bay window, the storage wheeled boxes sometimes end up there.

for @ampedup

One Heybrook TT2s deck (cast alloy chassis years before Keel came along for Linn’s :) ) acrylic armboard, offboard Heed/Inspire power supply unit. Origin Live Onyx arm with upgraded wires with an Ortofon 2m Black - homemade 5mm acrylic bottom board which is bright yellow :cool: - this deck leads to an Arkless Turbo phono stage.

One Heybrook TT2 deck, regular chassis, Linn LV X arm with a Goldring 2100 cart. leads to an Arkless 640p phono stage

Amplifier is a Roksan K3 - 70 w. per channel at 8 ohms.

Roksan Blak c.d. player

Arcam Alpha 9 c.d. player modded by Linnfomaniac83 hiding at the bottom on a skateboard.

Van damme speaker cable (I think? I have forgotten to be honest) - Chord interconnects

Tacima mains conditioner blocks x 2

Shelving is microwave mounting ‘L’ brackets (about £15 a pr.) and glass cut to each individual shelf.

Own design marble sandwiches to support the speakers - PMC FB1i’s

Rug from Liberty’s :) in London.

Lots and lots of felt pads supporting everything.

Can you say soemthing about the sub and how it works in your room?

advertisement

Back