advertisement

When the dealer did the initial room measurements and installed them they had them toed in about 5 degrees. Since then the system has changed umpteen times and I’ve added the Townsend bases, now I have them firing straight ahead, it gives me the presentation I prefer. The layout and room aren’t ideal however it actully measures pretty well, life got in the way of our house plans, overall I’m very happy with the sound I’m getting, defo my favourite and the best speakers I’ve had in 40 years.
That’s good to know. The ML information on placement in relation to the listener is very prescriptive and slightly off-putting. It’s 20 years since I last heard MLs so looking forward to a dealer dem and if positive, a home trial. Are you using the Anthem room correction?

That’s good to know. The ML information on placement in relation to the listener is very prescriptive and slightly off-putting. It’s 20 years since I last heard MLs so looking forward to a dealer dem and if positive, a home trial. Are you using the Anthem room correction?
Yes, I've used DSP/EQ/RC for donkeys years and had a Lyngdorf 3400 in place, when I heard how well the ARC built into the Logans sorted the Bass issues I felt the Lyngdorf could be moved on and a big Japanese integrated itch be scratched. The Logans have an option of hard rubberised cones rather than spikes which makes them easier to move/position/experiment with toe in.

Paul that plinth is stunning, it visually complements the design of the Lockwoods very nicely.

Thanks Hugh. The plinth for the Sony is my own design and was custom built for me by Lee at Acoustand Audio. He does great work and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

By coincidence the plinth also complements my Luxman amp which came later.

Bz109LW.jpg

How are you finding the sound of older SME arm vs the V?

To be honest I'm really surprised at how good the 3012 is. On first listen it comes very close indeed to the V-12. I really can't fault it.

This particular arm was fettled and modified by Analog Tube Audio in Germany by a previous owner and has just been rewired with Cardas cable and checked over by Johnny at Audio Origami so it is a good, clean example.

Thanks Hugh. The plinth for the Sony is my own design and was custom built for me by Lee at Acoustand Audio. He does great work and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

Bz109LW.jpg

To be honest I'm really surprised at how good the 3012 is. On first listen it comes very close indeed to the V-12. I really can't fault it.

This particular arm was fettled and modified by Analog Tube Audio in Germany by a previous owner and has just been rewired with Cardas cable and checked over by Johnny at Audio Origami so it is a good, clean example.

This is a beautiful retro-style system: I could stare at it all day long. I'm sure that it sounds fabulous too.

Our new music room is a few weeks away from being ready but I couldn’t resist plonking the system down for a quick listen. :)

I can’t imagine there’s many people using LS3/5A with class D amplification and I did approach the pairing with some trepidation but I have to say that even in this undressed room it sounds startlingly good.

I haven’t ever had the pleasure of the Falcons before but I knew I’d need a smaller speaker for this room, so when a pair popped up at a good price it seemed a good opportunity to audition. I expected the super transparent mids, sure, but they’re far punchier and lively than I thought they would be and they are surprisingly good with techno. The imaging is a hairs on the back of the neck up job … sound appears from well past either side of the speakers, and the reproduction of micro details is incredible.

All in all I’m very impressed. I have a pair of Tab 10s to compare with, but they’re going to have to be very very good to get a look in.

Oh, and the sponge is there for some critical sound absorption, expertly placed by my toddler boy.

A couple of update pics. Getting there now, the (epic) record storage is in, and the alcove shelves built. Don the carpenter has made me a cool cable hide behind a removable panel, so it should all look nice and neat.

I’m very much looking forward to having a play with my new TT :)

A couple of update pics. Getting there now, the (epic) record storage is in, and the alcove shelves built. Don the carpenter has made me a cool cable hide behind a removable panel, so it should all look nice and neat.

I’m very much looking forward to having a play with my new TT :)

That’s looking very nice. Maybe I should reconvene our dining room.

Further to my pics above, a couple of helpful folk let me know that I had made a rookie error and had the wayrod counterweight in the wrong position. Here's a pic with it underslung in the correct fashion.

rjkEkIw.jpg

lovely looking combo.

never could understand the 'balance' instructions when I tried to get to grips with a 3009 for a while (which also suffered from a shockingly cynical (being kind) 'non-service and wonky end stub change' from a well known scottish fettler).

Looks amazing, hermit.

These neat side-by-side arrangements always do.

As I said elsewhere, there is something oddly calming about gear with no LCDs, no OLED displays, no touchscreens, etc.

Thanks everybody, as some might know, I’ve been through Titan 707, Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC option, and I’ve never reached true happiness, until this system. I love that is the bottom of the range (something I liked about the Atom, I refused to let myself get bitten by the Naim upgrade bug, and I love the bass/treble adjustment, I reduce the bass by 2 stops, and increase the balance to the left speaker as I tend to lay on the sofa to the right (I’m done with sitting central).
51889895379_757c1efac2_b.jpg

I might like the garden even more than the hifi!

advertisement

Back