advertisement

What happened to the ATC's?

Awaiting sale. Keep putting it off though, not least due to the Corona pandemic.

The whole transistion away from them started when I came across a good offer for an A-47, and then hooking up some Harbeth P3s I still had (bought them second hand some years ago and TBH regret selling on when getting the B&W).

Lovely, SME 20? What are the amps?

Thx! It's an SME 15A; the amps are Accuphase C-2120 and A-47. The phono pre is a Whest PS.40RDT and the Dac is also Accuphase, DC-37.

Cabling is Accuphase's own (the 'brown' cables), and (cheap) van den Hul and QED for the speakers (see my other thread) - not really that much into expensive accessories or endless experimentation these days.

I can recommend a music stand for the vinyl though!

Are you enjoying the B&W's more that the ATC's or did you just fancy a change?

Actually since the P3s where somehow in between, setup-wise, I have never put the ATCs up against the B&W in a direct comparison. Perhaps I would regret it if I ever did!

The change was more driven by the acquisiton of the A-47, which is of course putting the cart before the horse a bit, and not how you should do things normally.

Most people will initially be put off by the price, then the label will bring worry about depreciation.

The depreciation worked out in my favor as I purchased them second-hand. But yes, if resale value is a concern, buying a set of these new, would not be prudent.

Just a little over one year now with the Sony speakers and I can easily say the honeymoon is ongoing. Most of the time I've been powering them with solid state (JVC), but recently put a tube amp (Audiomat) back into the system for the winter, and the Sony's still impress. Mind you the Audiomat has a bit of a solid-state sound signature, but the speakers allow the extra resolution to shine through. My first impressions when I set the speakers up last year were that they would be long term keepers, and nothing in that time period has swayed my opinion. These are the best overall speakers I've had 30 years in this hobby.

gi.mpl
Which Sony speakers are they. They certainly look the part !

Fitted some upgrades to my Thorens today (with some help from fellow Fishies) - new belt, idler wheel, and motor suspension springs. Also a new Swissonor plinth which I’m really pleased with.

Currently running the deck into the Graham Slee Accession with it’s variable output straight into the Quad 303/Falcons. Not played any digital for seemingly weeks now, in fact my Roon Nucleus is switched off.

uy5nhcO.jpg

Tomorrow I’ll be fitting a new arm and cart to the TD 124 - an SME M2-9R with an Ortofon SPU #1S and a Sculpture A 1:26 SUT is arriving too. I’ve not set up an arm and cart before but the SME manual makes it seem quite straightforward - wish me luck! ;)

Fitted some upgrades to my Thorens today (with some help from fellow Fishies) - new belt, idler wheel, and motor suspension springs. Also a new Swissonor plinth which I’m really pleased with.

Currently running the deck into the Graham Slee Accession with it’s variable output straight into the Quad 303/Falcons. Not played any digital for seemingly weeks now, in fact my Roon Nucleus is switched off.

uy5nhcO.jpg

Tomorrow I’ll be fitting a new arm and cart to the TD 124 - an SME M2-9R with an Ortofon SPU #1S and a Sculpture A 1:26 SUT is arriving too. I’ve not set up an arm and cart before but the SME manual makes it seem quite straightforward - wish me luck! ;)
Been following your build, good luck with the SPU thang.

…And after and long afternoon and evening the SME M2-9R and SPU #1S have been mounted to the deck and shockingly it seems I haven’t made a mess of the set up! It’s sounding good, no mistracking at all. I’ve also installed the SPU-specific Sculpture A SUT between the Thorens and Graham Slee.

gBuuArU.jpg

…And after and long afternoon and evening the SME M2-9R and SPU #1S have been mounted to the deck and shockingly it seems I haven’t made a mess of the set up! It’s sounding good, no mistracking at all. I’ve also installed the SPU-specific Sculpture A SUT between the Thorens and Graham Slee.

gBuuArU.jpg
That’s a smart looking deck, congrats on the successful build!

Another stab at the office "system" The JBL speaker is too much in demand from other members of the household so decided to buy a Dali Katch G2 as I've heard good things about it. Plus I was fairly sure I could connect a CD player to it. So the Consonance CD that's currently in the classifieds has found a new lease of life.

Pictures:

IMG-20220119-171809.jpg

IMG-20220119-171819.jpg

IMG-20220119-171838.jpg

So now have CDs and Bluetooth. Not bad at all.

Best wishes, Peter

Another stab at the office "system" The JBL speaker is too much in demand from other members of the household so decided to buy a Dali Katch G2 as I've heard good things about it. Plus I was fairly sure I could connect a CD player to it. So the Consonance CD that's currently in the classifieds has found a new lease of life.

Pictures:

IMG-20220119-171809.jpg

IMG-20220119-171819.jpg

IMG-20220119-171838.jpg

So now have CDs and Bluetooth. Not bad at all.

Best wishes, Peter

And, to add to the fun I've just connected my Chromecast Audio to the Katch so have better than Bluetooth audio.

51831015004_4827f624e2_c.jpg

Apologies for poor photo, but this is my very simple set up. Naim Superuniti into Allaes. Rega P1 with performance pack for vinyl duties, and my dad's old Denon CD player plugged into the Superuniti DAC which is very rarely used these days!

Tempted to change the Allaes this year. I'd like something with a bit more bass and warm sound, so thinking of trying some Neat Momentum 4i's.

51831015004_4827f624e2_c.jpg

Apologies for poor photo, but this is my very simple set up. Naim Superuniti into Allaes. Rega P1 with performance pack for vinyl duties, and my dad's old Denon CD player plugged into the Superuniti DAC which is very rarely used these days!

Tempted to change the Allaes this year. I'd like something with a bit more bass and warm sound, so thinking of trying some Neat Momentum 4i's.

The sideboard being forward of the speakers - is that deliberate? Makes my teeth itch.

No rug action? o_O

The sideboard being forward of the speakers - is that deliberate? Makes my teeth itch.

No rug action? o_O

Side board and speakers are both against the back wall. This does mean the front of the speakers is behind the front of the sideboard, but when when I’ve experimented with speaker position this sounds best to me.

A rug would be great, but the wife doesn’t want one unfortunately.

advertisement

Back