Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System Pics 2022

Discussion in 'audio' started by Old Shatterhand, Jan 1, 2022.

1. denni55

denni55 pfm Member

it's these bloody Martians again!.

YNWOAN likes this.
  2. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

When does the Monolith appear...?

Rob998, Nagraboy and narabdela like this.
  3. Andy1912

Andy1912 pfm Member

Fabulous, loving the drinks trolley !

Nagraboy and paulfromcamden like this.
  4. Jazzyguy

Jazzyguy pfm Member

Yes, it was custom built and to sit a little lower than usual for this kind of chair, to allow for better tweeter-ear height relativity.

ask and Ptah like this.
  5. Jazzyguy

Jazzyguy pfm Member

Thank you all for all the kind words!

6. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

re: your chair.

Where does your head/ears rest in that chair in terms of height?

Specifically the backrest, does it stop at your shoulders or does it go high enough to be flush with the top of your head ?

I ask because I am thinking about getting rid of my 3 seater sofa and getting a comfy single seater. What I don’t want is the backrest of the chair to act in any reflective sense, like cupping ones ears - but in a bigger way.

7. ampedup

ampedup Lost in audio

I had similar concerns when I got my Ekornes recliner. What I discovered was that a padded fabric surface behind the head does not mess with audio, however, leather upholstery behind the head does create the 'cupping' effect and other peculiar audio effects and is best avoided.

Big Tabs likes this.
  8. vln

vln Shuns mooks. And MQA.

MORE PICTURES! LESS TALK!

:)

naimplayer, Rana and PhilofCas like this.
  9. vln

vln Shuns mooks. And MQA.

Anyway, it's been a while since I posted anything in threads like these, and since I enjoy reading them it's only fair to contribute.

[​IMG]

10. Jazzyguy

Jazzyguy pfm Member

Big Tabs…

My ears are about juuuust below the back of the headrest and side wings. I was concerned about this and had asked to lower the whole back of the chair. The builder advised against this based on looks. I took his advice and took the risk. I have not noticed a difference between this and my older chair (so far) thank goodness. I do like to rest my had back on occasion so overall so far I’m happy with my choice.

Big Tabs likes this.
  11. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

What happened to the ATC's?

12. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

If you ever want to try something different, simply add enough cushions on the chair to get your ears a few inches above the back of the chair…

mind you, this would have to correspond to ear /tweeter height - if you subscribe to that viewpoint. (I do)

13. Waxxy

Waxxy pfm Member

Just a little over one year now with the Sony speakers and I can easily say the honeymoon is ongoing. Most of the time I've been powering them with solid state (JVC), but recently put a tube amp (Audiomat) back into the system for the winter, and the Sony's still impress. Mind you the Audiomat has a bit of a solid-state sound signature, but the speakers allow the extra resolution to shine through. My first impressions when I set the speakers up last year were that they would be long term keepers, and nothing in that time period has swayed my opinion. These are the best overall speakers I've had 30 years in this hobby.

[​IMG]

G.smith310, plum, Rob998 and 11 others like this.
  14. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

I've just worked out that it must be a window with a blind.

15. ArtK

ArtK I bite you!

I’ve read a lot of good things about those speakers.

Waxxy likes this.
  16. Jazzyguy

Jazzyguy pfm Member

Yes, that is a window that was destroying the soundstage. Heavy blinds stopped that problem in it’s tracks.

17. Waxxy

Waxxy pfm Member

They are seriously good! I've had a dozen sets of speakers during my time...these really float my boat. Most folks won't get past the Sony label though.

18. ask

ask Member

They really do exceptional speakers when they want to. They look pretty serious too.

19. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Most people will initially be put off by the price, then the label will bring worry about depreciation.

20. Andy1912

Andy1912 pfm Member

Lovely, SME 20? What are the amps?